Author Topic: Casale straight gear change unit  (Read 7550 times)

Offline racergeo

Casale straight gear change unit
« on: February 25, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
  This is a new, straight in and out (not aV) Casale marine overdrive unit. It has a bigger gear set than a QC. A QC is 3.5 C TO C. The Casale unit is 4in. These will support 2000HP. They can be solid mounted next  to the trans. or diff. for convenience of changing gears. This one is 1.66 to 1. Used gears and new are available. Casale will build you about any ratio you want. These are about $3500 new but will take $1500. This will make a 3.00 ratio go to 2.00 or close to it! George

Offline John Burk

Re: Casale straight gear change unit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
When I asked Andy Casale if mine would be strong enough he said the blown fuel hydro's can't brake em .

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Nothing against that unit but remember that a boat propeller-- like an aircraft propeller-- is a "flexible load". Wheel spin & traction hookup create high shock loads that marine & aircraft power trains don't see.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline poserracer

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
I would venture that drag boats are out of the water more than they are in it. Water's not that soft at speed.
Just A Wanabe

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
The website suggests that these units run in off road trucks and rear engine dragsters suggesting they are pretty tough and might be ok on the salt.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:55:41 AM »
Question, this is a two gear kinda like a Z drive with no angle or is it like a V drive? :?
Some pics would be good.
  Sid.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »
  Yes, it's kinda like a V drive only the shafts in and out are not at an angle. You can NOT take it out of gear. It only acts as a quick change. It has a 3/8 plate in between the two halves That was added for mounting purposes. The two halves look similar to a quick change cover only deeper. Just unbolt one cover to change the gear ratio. Based on the shaft size and gear quality this would be far stronger then the gears that hold up well in a Winters or other quick changes. I also have a set of Richmand 9" 3.00 gears. The ring gear is lightened and they have the REM finish. That is supposed to free up 7hp according to an article I read on the process.$120 plus Fr. GJ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »
Ok. So to use this on a rear drive application it would need to be mounted behind the rear axle, with the diff up side down & facing backwards to make the vehicle go forward.
With a 4" gear center that might be a little tuff to line up the pinion on a hypoid axle & a driveline from the trans without going over the top of the axle. Not likely an option for a rear engine anything but it might be doable with a front engine.
  Sid.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »
  Yees, that's what it came out of. The front wheel drive liner I bought from Mike Cook. I have a Winters for FWD.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »
With my front wheel drive streamliner with the engine in front the driveshaft goes through a tube under the spool and back to the Casale . The Casale output has a casale overrunning clutch which goes to the inverted dropout 12 bolt . Same would work for mid engine rear wheel drive . The V-drive could go in front of the rear with the driveshaft below the rear and a belt up to the pinion .

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »
I know somebody who might be interested in this if it could be configured to a Z drive. Can you post some pics?
  Sid.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Nolan White's 4wd streamliner had an angled output Casale as a z-drive between the offset driveshaft and the front pinion . The Norwood Ferrari had a home made gear box between the driveshaft that ran under the inverted 9" and the pinion .

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
Not that it fits in here but when Glen Deeds built his 4 wheel drive roadster he also built a custom transfer case. I thought I'd post some pictures of it during a gear change on the salt. We found a bad bearing after 20 years of service so that's why it's out of the car for pictures.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:08 PM »
isn't this what a lot of the sled pullers run for a transfer case
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »
No, the Profab quickchange drop box is the most common unit with the pullers.
  Sid.