Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 161197 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #270 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
Yeah. That's what it sounds like, huh?  :roll: But when you think about it that'd be like pushing on a rope.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: September 04, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
the seventh strap should be in a straight line with your shoulder straps  it keeps the lap belt and hence the attaching  point at the latch from riding up and letting your helmet  get up into the cage top.  In 2001 I drove in speed week without one and WOS with one  HUGE difference in the way I felt in the car:

the new 9 point makes almost as much difference  they really LOCK you down
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:47:19 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »
Thanks guys! Next big thing on the list is after the interior is finished up. I plan on doing a pour in seat after I decide who's brand I want to use (beads vs. foam) and then need to figure out my helmet padding. I designed the 1" parameter tubing in the cage to be used with ISP's padding which is pretty awesome stuff! My sorta quandary now is trying to fine tune the padding BETWEEN my helmet and the ISP high density stuff. Building a lay down car has the disadvantage of HAVING to lay your head down on something. I've been playing with different densities of memory foam (and testing it by resting my helmeted head on a vibrating bead polisher with different padding types and yes a LOT of headaches!) to keep the vibration to my head at a minimum! In the rules I'm allowed a 2" max gap and I'm going to fill the gap up. I'll wrap in in flameproof material when it's done and hopefully the design will keep vibration headaches to a minimum.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
Mike came over and welded up the seat tubing so that's done

Also made some small flat support plates in the center floor area in the interior. Used .100" chromoly sheet, then cut and bent them up to make them flush with the top plane of the lower tube.

With the 1 5/8" outer tubes and 1" cross tubes there was about a 3/8" drop in the middle. With the pads done, the aluminum floor will now be supported and have no droop.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2014, 11:49:21 PM »
Got my brake and clutch setup installed. I removed the hand brake after realizing my arm restraints would cause a problem. I had to make my pedals to fit the angle of my feet, so I whittled some up out of aluminum and had Mike do his awesome welding to finish them off!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #275 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
My my friend Rob had a great idea and name for the group of guys who've been helping with ideas for the Streamliner. He came up with the name the "Slide Rule Syndicate" so I decided to put some shirt artwork together and this is what the first batch will look like. This is the back.

This is the front.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #276 on: October 26, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
Love the design Brad. You should be able to sell a bunch.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #277 on: October 26, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
Remember when you are in the process of getting race shirts for your team - or whomever.  Kudos Laser (that's Nancy and me) makes t-shirts with whatever design you want.  The shirts MUST BE WHITE or light grey, but other than that -- there's no limits on colors for the art and the design is wide open.  We use a process that imprints photographs right on the shirt, in full color.  The price for racers is probably quite a bit lower than retail -- and maybe even lower than regular online places -- 'specially if you want a small quantity, not 5,000.  Contact me -- you and anyone.  Click on the Kudos ad at the bottom of the page to contact me (among other ways).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the offer Jon!  I've got the shirt deal handled with a screen printer friend of mine. The color seps are done, just need to get a few cases of blanks!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
No color "seps" with us, but that's beside the point.  Get in touch if you'd like an idea of where to buy shirts online - for cheap.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tallguy

« Reply #281 on: October 29, 2014, 01:00:42 AM »
Awesome project!  Great workmanship!  On page 13, the photo of such a long chassis on the ground (driveway) makes me wonder whether in fact there will be sufficient clearance to allow for flex, suspension travel, and minor irregularities in the racing surface (i.e., salt).  You might want to check all that, bearing in mind that the final weight will be substantially greater than what you now have.  Additionally, aerodynamics might conceivably create some downforce that tends to lower the central part of the entire chassis.
If some of the body (sheemetal, for example?) is below the lowest frame tube, that crowds the ground even more.  Scraping the ground during a run isn't likely to help you achieve your goal.  Best wishes.

tallguy

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #282 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »
Thanks Tallguy! The car is set up with an inch and a half of ground clearance which is low, but will work just fine. As far as the added weight lowering the car farther, the springs and adjustability will prevent that. One of the reasons I went with chromoly was to keep flex to an absolute minimum and not have the center of the chassis droop at any speed.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2014, 10:24:53 PM »
I finished the cardboard templates for the fuel and 2 water tanks. Now making them of aluminum. The car is at my friend Rudy's getting the interior done up. He's a master at aluminum fabrication. Here's what part of  the sides look like. The bottom area roles out so I have room for hoses and electrical to hide behind

Here's a view from the front

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
  glad to see you up date post!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!