Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 161127 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
    Looks great! Here's something that haunts us every time we run a new cable or wire. Try to make an accommodation for wires, tubes or cables that have to go past the driver's compartment. Things get so tight that it's a real pain. Maybe make a place for passing future stuff fore and aft. Brake lines, clutch lines, shift cables, wiring, fire lines, etc., vents, etc. Things get tight real quick.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »
Will not happen--just remember to come bearing a host gift!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
Having never built a /S, fitting of components and wiring wasn't that challenging, but I
definitely agree with BuickGuy on having alternate conduit passages for future changes.
You've done an amazing job, Brad. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »
It's funny you guys are talking about this, because I was plotting out my morse cables and water hose routes too. It really is amazing how fast real estate goes away in these things! I will say, doing a streamliner compared to a "normal" car is a whole different mindset because nothing works the same way. Thanks for the input guys and for the kind words!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
some of my stuff goes through the frame rails that that runs front to back chute cables and metal brake lines that are in plastic tubing for vibration protection.

--  I have provided for 2,  1.5" .062 that runs from back in the eng bay to in front of my fire wall . I only have one active  electrical  It is up off the bottom of the car so that if there was ever a massive leak no fuel could get to it  .  On the drivers side it is wrapped and taped to seal from a low press being able to pull through.  In the bay area it is sealed with fire sealant----yes it is a pain but it really is a lesson I learned on my first car  it does not eliminate all---some of the others that just go trough the fire wall and are sealed.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
Next step is to start working on the seatbelt layout. I have the shoulder harness mount situated and will bend up my side bars to mount the lap belts up. My only concern is with the antisubmarine (crotch) belt. Looking at the diagram in the rulebook it shows it aimed FORWARD of my laying down position. I'm going to need to talk with John and Lee because looking at that layout will allow me to slide forward and there's no way I want to be moving at all once I'm winched down. I know how I'd like to do it, because the seatbelts are everything and there is no secondary system to hold my body from moving even an inch!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »
the anti straps are butt straps   you "sit" in them the forward strap that anchors down between your knees and ankles hold the lap belt down

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »
I'm referring to the secondary strap.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
mine anchor at the same point as my lap belt and come toward the center then up between my legs to tie into the lap belt latch, they are the 5&6 belt; the 7th ties into the latch and goes forward as I mentioned earlier

they function just like the between the leg straps on a parachute
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:01:46 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Brad, the forward "anti-submarine" strap is actually to keep you from sliding rearward and crushing your little skull in the cage.  :wink: Wayno

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:06 AM »
I pretty sure that would be the job of my shoulder harnesses to keep my skull from getting squished! Lol

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Brad, that is correct. The anti-submarine belt connects to the shoulder harnesses at the buckle and accomplishes that task. Make sense? By the way, good looking build.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
Brad;

Check the Simpson website- it has the best diagrams of the safety harness mounting bolt locations that I've found.

BTW, even the latest rule book shoulder harness bolt location drawings conflict with the HANS website drawings of how far they should be located below your shoulders.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Elmo, you are correct. Sparky,you are talking about 7 point harness. That is a Must for laydown Or in my opinion any car. Rick White aT Autopower has the additionaL strap you need.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:05 PM »
I learned something new today! I'm thinking anti-submarine belt to keep me from sliding down/under (hence the name) but I guess as soon as you lay down the whole concept goes backwards! Weird... Thanks Wayno!