Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 160746 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
Very Nice!  Sounds and looks like you have a very well thought out plan of attack.  Keep up the great work!   :cheers:

Scottie J

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Arms all tacked up and mounted up I went with the 2 link design to keep the caster parallel though the travel arc. Will have around an 1" of total travel.  Up next, coilover shock mounts...

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
This is a really nice job of fabrication. The only question I have is how much can you turn the wheels? It looks like they're pretty much against the insides. I know you don't require much.

Pete

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »
They turn 5 degrees, which is all I need. The real wheels /tires will be carved out of aluminum (these things are from the 90's so I'm not running them!)  and be narrower at the outside parameter, so clearance won't be an issue at all!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:38 AM »
Awesome fabrication and welding skills!!
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »
In rereading I noticed you referred to them as mock up wheels and tires. I thought they looked like old dragster front tires and the reread confirmed that. You are doing some mighty fine work. Keep it up!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
Man!  After seeing all of these pics of this great work on a custom frame/chassis, it kind of makes me want to build a streamliner bike!  I feel another build coming on as soon as I finish building and running my '59 RE/Inidan.    :-D  Seriously great work.  Your welder has some amazing talent with that TIG to lay down such clean welds. 

Scottie J

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
Thanks Fordboy and Pete! I have a plan in my head and bunch of things I want to do that I've never seen done on a 'liner! Scottie, dude you gotta do the streamliner bike! Set your mind on kill mode and go for it! In another thread on here, there was talk of streamliner budgets and since I don't have much in the budget department but I have a little ability and a ton of passion I decided I needed to do it! All the safety gear you need to run one if these things is a pile of money and I'm not too excited about that deal! Here's a pic of the shock frame brackets. I drew these up to get laser cut and designed them with the frame notch in the bottom. Since the bottom rail is even all the way across, that was my keeping them even deal. I had to cut the notch in the tops with a hole saw in 4 different areas because the top rail tapers down. I took a piece of square 1 1/4" and milled some notches to allow the shock to fit up inside, move and not hit anything After drilling a 1/2" hole I welded a grade 8 washer to each side for added strength tacked it all together and there it is. Now I just need Mike to finish welding it! In all the pics you'll see a bunch of crappy nuts and bolts and it's all garbage for mockup. I'll use good stuff during final assembly!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »
I think it looks pretty cool! Now I need to finish the actual steering nightmare!

Offline superleggera

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
What are those small coilover shocks?  Thx.
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
Mountain bike double adjustables custom built by my friend Roger at Romic Shocks.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
Wow, what a great build!!  It looks like you have been doing this forever even it you haven't.

It looks like you have been very through on thinking things out and probably have this covered but if not I'd look into it.  I think I'm going to have to move my cage up about 1 1/2 inches to get helmet and roll bar padding room that I need.  Helmets have grown since I first started and the padding on the tubes takes up more room than I first accounted for due to the curved shape.  You most likely have already checked but if not put the cage padding in, the helmet and suit on along with the belts and make sure you fit and still have forward vision.

The other problem with these lay-down cars is the steering and all the controls need to be very specific to anyone that will drive the car.  I have my foot pedals and steering both setup so they can be moved between drivers if that happens.

I'll be interested in seeing how the hand brake works.  I've wanted to go that route but there again laying down in there it is hard to move your arm in the direction you need to operate one.  I'm having the same problem with the gearshift as I hope to stay away from an air shifter.  I'm looking at having the shifter swing just under the steering in an arc parallel to the bottom of the car with the pivot point forward on my right elbow, if that makes sense.

With the limited arm movement with restraints and just how your arm can bend, getting the hand brake, hand shifter and the fire bottle controls and the chute releases where they all can be worked can be a challenge.  Much easier in a car where you aren't so prone.  I wish I would of worked on this area earlier in the build.

What are you planning on for power-plants?

Keep posting as you have some really good ideas,

Sum

Offline salt27

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
Stainless, has an educated opinion on chute release control placement.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
It will be interesting in seeing how you design the steering linkage to prevent bump steer .

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 04:33:14 PM »
I pretty much designed the cage area around me wearing a helmet. I actually have plenty of room even being cramped. The shifter and fire bottles I have figured within arms reach but still playing with a couple ideas for chute levers. As far as suspension goes, I should have zero bump steer the way I'm doing it.