Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 160742 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
Thanks Scottie! The ones I used are seriously beefy! Also remember, all the lever is doing is pulling a cable with zero resistance on the other end, the complete opposite of actual brakes!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
Both of the Vesco streamliners have chute releases on the steering wheel, The brakes are foot brakes ans no reason to reach for a release lever. How ever the manual overrides are right beside the steering .
keep up the good work and never shy away from asking questions. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tauruck

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »
Excellent build Brad.

I wish you lots of enjoyment and high speeds.

Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
Worked on the steering Friday and yesterday and got part of it tacked in place

I'll finish it up as soon as I get the rest of my parts from Brett, my laser guy.

Since there's a million more things to make, I'll figure out how and where to mount the shifter. After climbing in the car, here's what I came up with

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
from the " been there, built it too small had to do it over" :cry: advise crowd---- make your inner panels---now--- make them easy to remove,  install the 9 point harness ASAP put the fattest driver in his fire suit and helmet as you figure out placement of stuff ----I thought I was being as careful as possible and still had to change the configuration of my front hoop at the very end---I could not get out--I could get in with every thing on but could not get the helmet from under the frt hoop.  The cause:  the new harness set up when all of the NEW STRAPS were installed--not just the old ones that we were building with.

The new ones we could not "rotate" our body the same!

PS  that is very nice looking workmanship!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:22:17 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »

That looks nice and you are really moving along  :cheers:

How wide is the inside of the car in the area from your hips to your shoulder?  I'm 18 inches wide on the inside and I've tried the brake and the gear shift like you have and I can't work them since I can't bring my arm back (rotating at the shoulder) to pull on them belted in and more or less wedged in there.  I can rotate my lower arm at the elbow but that doesn't work well as I don't have much strength in that direction and the angles are not right.  Just curious as to how this is working for you.  I'm guessing you have room beside your body to move your arm back from the shoulder and not just the elbow,

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
Thanks guys! The seat is the next thing on the interior list. Sparky, thanks for the advice on the seating situation. If you noticed on the one pic I posted I have plenty of headroom so getting out isn't a big deal. The car is wider than I would've liked, but that's what I needed for the 1 engine I wanted to run! When I'm laying in the car Sumner, the steering is right at my crotch. The brake and shifter are at the same distance (down/away) from my shoulders, so pulling them is actually very easy. My arms/elbows aren't bunched up at all if that makes any sense.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
.When I'm laying in the car ...... My arms/elbows aren't bunched up at all if that makes any sense.

Yes that clears it up.  You must be a little wider than I am inside.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something before I explored other options. 

I am down to the last 5 feet of re-flooring the whole house and then it is back to the car  :-).  Two areas I'll get cleared up first will be the cage area and all the controls.  Then the very back of the car and how I'm handling the chute/chutes and the chute doors and their deployment so that I'll still be able to keep the back of the car closed in.  Then it will be on to cutting the car in half and adding 3 feet.

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »
The area where the shifter and brake are mounted is 18 1/2" wide. It's a small bit wider at the shoulders.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
Jeez Sum, that's ALL you have to do? I thought you had a LOT left to do! Lol. I'm doing everything I can to make EVERYTHING work in this small space because the car CAN'T be made bigger/taller/wider! I'm going after Jack and it has to stay very petite and tight. My frontal area is not quite 4.9 sq. ft. and needs to stay that way...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
.... I thought you had a LOT left to do! Lol. ....

Actually lots and lots to do  :cry:.

....My frontal area is not quite 4.9 sq. ft. and needs to stay that way...

I'm right at 5.4 sq. ft. for the body and side pods plus another small factor that will account for over 60% of my drag and that is those darn wheels and tires  8-)

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
Decided to do some pedals today. The buggy master cylinder/pedal assembly I snagged was cool, but the pedals definitely had to go! After hacking up the original to fit where and how it needed, I made a pattern up and carved one out of aluminum. Now it fits like I want and is way lighter!

Now just need to weld a spacer on the bottom, make a bronze insert and finish up the throttle pedal .

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2014, 03:40:11 AM »
Hi Brad,

Yep, you're a clever one, just stunning work.

Skip
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
Attachment of pedal "pad" to its arm isn't visible?
Will the arm get welded to its shaft?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
Yes, the pad is tack welded on the other side. It'll be fully welded once I finish both spacers (throttle too) and a few other things. No, it will pivot on the shaft.