Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 161129 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »

P.S. From your other picture looks like you will have plenty of room above the helmet  :-)

If he can see sitting that low.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »
Would it make sense to use a motorcycle clutch handle on your steering mechanism to release the chute?  It could be manual and you wouldn't have to take your hands off the wheel or handlebar or whatever.  I was also thinking that a second master cylinder with a foot operated brake pedal hooked up in parallel with the hand brake, with a couple of check valves, might be nice in case you had a lot of steering feedback to deal with when you wanted to start applying the brakes.  Maybe I'm overthinking; cold night and it's snowing again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:04:25 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »
We use a hand brake, no problems. Works great for loading and unloading and pushing the car in the waiting line to the starting line.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Wow! Ok first is first... Sumner, I wanted you to see the rollbar so you knew where I was at. Second, I'm not as paranoid stopping on the salt than if I was running at Pomona and had to stop a much heavier car at the same speed. The car is 28' long 26" wide and 27" tall. It has a 250+" wheelbase with not a lot of rear overhang and 25 degrees of caster. With the design of the body and the way the car is set up, I'll be able to drive it with one hand. With only rear brakes, panic stops are pretty much out of the question UNLESS I want to put put it on it's lid! As far as sitting too low, I'd sit behind a wall and use a mirror if that's what it took to break records! I'm not building  it to be comfortable, I'm building it to be long, low, safe and FAST! I'll figure out the safest, most efficient chute deal and go with that. I do appreciate the input though! Thanks guys!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
Richard,  you are the man!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
Hey Koncrete, the clutch lever is a really good idea!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
Helmet Space....

- is there now the restrict helmet movement under the rollcage for new streamliner/lakester in the rule book - which moves the front tube of the rollcage far forward?

- is a mirror for a while not anymore allowed - see rule book
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
Hey Pork! Same rules for the cage as always. I have the distance from the front of the bars more than covered and more than sufficient room for the padding. I put that pic in there cuz I wanted to show Sumner my room situation. As far as the mirror comment, I can see out of car (perfect for a minute and a half drive!) but I was being a bit if a smartass!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
Some gussets tacked in place.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »
Don (Salt27) and Tom Burkland both PMd me with some really good ideas. I kinda got a bit of a 'tude yesterday and I apologize! I know some of you have been doing this for years and I need to be open to EVERYONE and not just the people I choose! Thank you again everyone for your input! Brad

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 01:00:44 AM »
Your craftsmanship is outstanding :cheers:Thanks again for posting the photos. An inspiration to perfection :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline salt27

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 01:26:20 AM »
Don (Salt27) and Tom Burkland both PMd me with some really good ideas. I kinda got a bit of a 'tude yesterday and I apologize! I know some of you have been doing this for years and I need to be open to EVERYONE and not just the people I choose! Thank you again everyone for your input! Brad

No problem Brad and thanks for posting your build.

Don

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 01:31:56 AM »
This was a little cheesy but I had to do it. Being the crown is part of my last name I decided to try something a bit different. When I drew up my gussets to send to the laser guy I added the crowns too.

To keep it from potentially cracking, I welded a piece of .125" steel to the back

Then tacked them in place

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:46 AM »
I like the touch. A little personalizing adds something special to a project.  :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
Breaking Wind!!

Here's a rough plan for the body. Will fine tune the shape in a couple areas but you get the idea. The paint layout will pretty much be like this but I'm still not sure of the lettering/style layout. I'm planning on NO decals on the car like in the old top fuel/funny car days and brushing them all on! Paint will be pearls and candies.