Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 161117 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Hey Sumner, I've been in and out of that car so many times I've lost count!  Here's a bad pic when I first tacked the car up and no the pillows haven't gone through tech yet!   As far as the brake lever, it's literally an 1 1/2" away from the steering. All I do is think of this car every waking moment I have and while doing that, every inch of the car goes through its build up from every possible angle! The shifter handle has a home as do the fire bottle handles and I have a couple ideas for the chute levers, I just need to get back in the car with a Sharpie!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
Unfortunately they're probably going to require you to extend the legs on your fire suit.  :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 02:44:13 AM »
 :cheers:That is art work in progress :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Tman

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
Mountain bike double adjustables custom built by my friend Roger at Romic Shocks.

I have a few of those laying around.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
Do you plan on using an air shifter? Might be helpful for space in the cockpit,
but not sure how big of a CO2 tank you'd need to fit somewhere else...
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »
Streamliner - - Question,
So how do these things work when you have a problem, say a seized motor?  You pull the brake handle with one hand, the chute with your other hand, while pushing the clutch in to avoid locking up the wheels, and you steer with.... your other knee?  On a bike you pull the clutch in and pull the brake on while holding onto to the bars for dear life, but in the end it doesn't matter because you're no longer on the bike anyway(been there and done that)!  Just wondering.
Tom
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:02:37 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
Streamliner - - Question,
So how do these things work when you have a problem, say a seized motor?  You pull the brake handle with one hand, the chute with your other hand, while pushing the clutch in to avoid locking up the wheels, and you steer with.... your other knee?  On a bike you pull the clutch in and pull the brake on while holding onto to the bars for dear life, but in the end it doesn't matter because you're no longer on the bike anyway(been there and done that)!  Just wondering.
Tom

To me the chute is the first out, with the clutch at the same time.  Then worry about any braking.  When the throttle stuck wide open on me at about 180 and the car started to spin I couldn't get the chute out quick enough so then didn't as I just thought it would wrap around the car, but then the vertical stabilizers caught the car and as it went back around I got the chute out.  If is probably going to depend on just what is happening and how quickly,

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
If I seize a motor, the FIRST thing I'm doing is pushing in the clutch! After that reach over, pull the chute, mumble some stuff about said seized motor then slow it to a stop! Pretty simple stuff actually...Stupid motor!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
Stainless and I have learned that a chute button on the wheel might save you and the car. Electric on the Lakester and air on the Liner. You only have to move your thumb a small amount and it gives you the fastest response.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »
Nope, no air shifter. I'm not a fan at all because those things are brutal on parts! I'd much rather reach over and pull the next gear than have some killer solenoid shove it in! Plus, if you're doing it you can feel any funny stuff, but hitting the button all you'll hear is crunching of parts! Just my opinion ...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
Stainless and I have learned that a chute button on the wheel might save you and the car. Electric on the Lakester and air on the Liner. You only have to move your thumb a small amount and it gives you the fastest response.

John

Stainless ought to write up what he presented last Friday on this and put it into the safety section.  He sure convinced me that an "<close to> under the thumb" button is much better (and faster) than reaching over and pulling something to deploy the chute.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 08:07:54 PM »
I'm going to keep the chutes manual too! I've seen too many chutes that DIDN'T open that were either electronic or really short throw levers at the drags over the years! Too much at stake to trust another solenoid!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »

John

I agree and will do the same.  Wish I would of had the button on that one run.  The chute is vital and if it isn't out as soon as possible might never be able to do its job.  It is there for far more than to just stop a car.  I'll have the button and the manual backup as I believe the rules require,

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
So on the 'liner are you putting 2 buttons on, one for the high speed chute and one for the low speed?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »
So on the 'liner are you putting 2 buttons on, one for the high speed chute and one for the low speed?

Not sure who the question is for.  I have 2 tubes on the lakester but only one chute at present and might never run fast enough to need the second tube.  If I did I'd have 2 buttons possibly but consider the first one the vital "get it out as soon as possible if Subaru happens" one to have.  

Unless the first chute didn't deploy the second doesn't have to get out near as fast.  I guess on that one it would be whatever is more convenient as far as operating (still need to have the manual backup),

Sum

P.S. From your other picture looks like you will have plenty of room above the helmet  :-)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:24:55 PM by Sumner »