Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 161115 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
Thanks Tman! That was a lot of coffee!!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
Yo Stainless! So you didn't worry about me, I took a half hr. and did a quick fix. Took a piece of 1/2" round stock, drilled a hole in the center and cut (2) 1/4" long pieces off.  A quick Tig weld on the end, ground it smooth and now no worry about Brad ending up with extra orifices!  :-D

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
Brad, I don't want to be thought of as piling on here so please take this as constructive criticism or at least something for other to consider when building a similar system. There is nothing in the rules that make what you're doing illegal; but think about trying to exit in a mishap. In the hurry to escape the vehicle when vision can be obscured by smoke, fire, or even salt in the eyes, try not to have items protruding into the cockpit that might grab your firesuit to hinder your rapid exit. It works well in it's "as designed" form but keep in mind less obvious issues that could cause problems.
Your chassis is of superb construction so again please don't take my comment as rock throwing. 
Best of luck with your project.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
Hey Mike! Thanks for the input (honestly never thought about salt in the eyes, crazy!) on what I'm doing. Yesterday I pretty much spent the day getting in and out of the car (with and without the helmet) laying out the structure for the seat. While in the car, I closed my eyes more than once and went through the routine (and still figuring where I'll mount the fire bottle handles) and how I I'll get out of the car in a hurry. My latch handles may change again just depending on how the body fits. Everything about building one of these cars is a never ending change (even if only a little bit) from the initial game plan.  Thank you again for the input!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
Brad, your second last sentence is right on. :-D
Man, the long cars are no joke.
I'm tacking bits on out of fear. :-D

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »
... I pretty much spent the day getting in and out of the car (with and without the helmet)...

Thanks for the updates.  Do you have a -20 fire suit yet?  If not I'd try and buy or borrow one during this process of figuring out cockpit controls/belts/exit/etc..  Before getting the suit...

... I had one of these thick quilted work overalls that I used.  It isn't quite as thick as a 20 suit but close.  I had one since I lived in Wyoming, being as you are in Calif. probably no need for one but maybe you could find a used one cheap,

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
A friend of mine who raced funny cars has let me use his 20 suit (pants, jacket, gloves, shoes). It changed a couple things with my basic layout but so far, so good! It's definitely something you need when doing one of these cars because a heavy jacket and regular clothes isn't really the same.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
Spent the afternoon at Sage Cheshire Aerospace with Art and Jon while they worked on the Chassis. Jon set up the laser and proceeded to scan every inch of it so he had a complete 3D model of it to use for the CFD and Aero tests! I'm beyond honored and humbled to be involved with a great group of guys who are just as excited about this project as I am! 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Take advantage of all the technology available ... Good deal.

Joe

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »
Wowie zowie  that stuff  is HI tech
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »
Just awesome Brad. That is one heck of a crew to have. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
Thanks Tman! That was a lot of coffee!!

One LARGE mug!

And the laser stuff is wayyy cool!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
Climbed in and out of the car yesterday probably 25 times with and without the driving suit on trying to fine tune my seating position. What a pain! Finally got the angle right and started putting tubing in place. The weirdest part is figuring out the seat belt attachment points and trying to keep them in the correct spot.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
I'm hoping you find a solution.

Do you find that every time you get in it feels different?.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
Sometimes you can't always be space age, high tech! This was how I was test fitting the angle of the seat until I got it right.

It actually stops at the last vertical tube in the "living quarters" as far as that part of the seat goes. The rest goes from there to the back of the cage. I kept feeling under my back at the lower area where it makes the transition to make sure I had no gaps and was supported from my butt to my shoulders. Now I'm working on the part behind it that supports my head. LOTS of duct tape and whatever is laying around!