Author Topic: Building my first Streamliner  (Read 161232 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Building my first Streamliner
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
Good things happen to good people. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2014, 01:44:27 AM »
 :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2014, 11:55:31 PM »
Took the car out to El Mirage and figured I'd have the tech guys take a peek at what I've done and see what kind of input I'd get.

Can you believe the 2 tech guys that I'd needed to see apparently had truck trouble and couldn't make it today! That was worth a good chuckle! Met lots of really awesome guys who had some great opinions to throw into the mix (I wish I could remember all their names...Derek MacLeish, Jim Miller, Ron Main were some) and heard some really great ideas! Very cool day!

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »
sorta looks like it is going to be right at home there   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2014, 12:39:45 AM »
Brad, it seems like you're making all the right moves.

The car has been on its first outing already and the guys you met must help the motivation. :cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »
    Mike,
   Would it be cheaper/easier, for you to put your car in a container and ship it over here or just ship one of the inspectors to South Africa to get a pre-inspection like that?
      Doug  :-D  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »
Was hoping to get over to look at it and didn't get the chance

Offline tauruck

« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
    Mike,
   Would it be cheaper/easier, for you to put your car in a container and ship it over here or just ship one of the inspectors to South Africa to get a pre-inspection like that?
      Doug  :-D  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'd like to put all my belongings in a container............. :-D

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »
Finished the hinged steering latch today. I sorta took a break on the car, to work on my '49 pickup and get it dialed in for Speed Week and we know how that turned out! Sheesh! So anyways, got back at it building pieces and parts. Originally I was going to use funny car hatch latches but a little input when I took it out to El Mirage was the direction I went. I took some 5/8" bar stock, drilled a 5/16" hole down the center and cut 4 pieces 1" long. I chucked up 2 of them in the mill and put a 5/16" by 3/8" deep notch in them

I then made the latching rod out of 5/16" hardened bar stock. Took a 2" chunk and tig'd it at a 90 degree from the longer piece

Once I had them tacked in place, I put a spring, an AN washer and drilled the rod for a hitch pin to hold them in place

I then built a tab that went on the steering frame, welded a 3/8" long receiver tube on to the end of it

With it tacked in place and the latch locked in

The rod slid back out of the notch and slid up and the latch is released

I'm stoked, it works awesome and both sides are nice and smooth! Now to finish welding it!

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2014, 01:07:44 AM »
 :cheers:  good to see you back on it!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2014, 09:32:23 AM »
Brad. I hope you plan to shorten the handle a little, just a thought, you don't want that deep of a hole in you should things turn ugly...
I can hardly wait to see this one go... nice work  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:52 AM »
Ugly? What could go wrong?
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2014, 11:18:01 AM »
When you're getting in or out of the car they're folded towards the outside. When I'm in the car and strapped in place I shouldn't be able to actually turn them until my arm restraints (seatbelts) are undone. When I'm strapped in they're not an issue.

Offline Tman

« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »
Glad to see you working on it Brad. Read your truck thread yesterday over coffee for inspiration since I am back working on my GMC!