Author Topic: Motorcycle clutch capacity increase.  (Read 8838 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: Motorcycle clutch capacity increase.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
Slim,
This is good news for texture coated clutch steels. Sounds like the only wear will happen at the start. I'm feeling better about this.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline DKA

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
Rob,
I'm interested in working with you and have sent you a PM.
David
If it can be built, it can be raced.

Offline TheSteelMan23

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
Rob I think this could be a great application for the motorcycle engined 4 wheel streamliners. If they received a push-off to get up to speed a bit to engage the clutch without slippage I think it could really extend clutch life. I am very familiar with Slim's comments about clutchless shifting, I use to road race a 500cc Ninja and you didn't pull the clutch in unless you absolutely had to, with 55HP I had to keep those gerbils spinning at all costs! Does anyone manually clutchless shift the cycle engined streamliers or does everyone use air shifting?
I have two speeds... Fast, and "What the hell was that!"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »
it took us quite a few years to get the clutches sorted on the twin engine 'liner.... at 2200lbs when she comes on boost it'll blow away the clutches even with lock ups on both motors... we worked with Mike at Barnet and he supplies several thicknesses of linings and stiffness of static springs, then we had to work on lock up weight... if it hooks up too much it'll snap a final drive chain or rip the trans right out of it..... solo bikes usually don't have this problem because of the weight.... took a while but we got just the right amount of clutch chatter in 2nd and 3rd....rapid clutch ware is not good on a bike motor as the material will plug up the oil pump pickup.... drag racing Busa's have this problem 2 sets of plates and ya gotta drop the pan or you'll loose a rod bearing....

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »
A change in the primary ratio which spins the clutch faster takes a twisting load off of it.  The final gearing needs to be changed, too, to make up for the alteration in the primary ratio.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Motorcycle clutch capacity increase.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
We just did a set of aluminum drive plates for speedway bike over in Great Britton. I was not wild about coating the aluminum pieces as the bond strength is not near as good as steel but he stepped up so we did it. I will let you know what the outcome of the testing is as soon as I know it.
Clutch oil is not shared with crankcase on this application which is good.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »
Just to throw a wrinkle in this discussion, being motorcycles are wet clutch and use a common sump for the engine oil and transmission (excepting H-Ds and designs with separate trans like 2 strokes), what effect does the viscosity of the oil create?  To make an extreme example, if you use a 50 weight oil vs a 10 weight, does this have any change?  I would think the thinner oil would work better for minimizing slip, since it would be better able to squeeze out?  The idea is to not have an oil film between the steels and friction plates the way I understand this?  I hope that I am explaining this right.

Since an oil film would reduce friction, would oil with lower film strength enable higher torque before the clutch slips?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
I agree, I would think a lighter oil would allow clutch to bite faster and harder.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Motorcycle clutch capacity increase.
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »
Here us a short video of what I've been trying to describe.

http://youtu.be/aEw6gyHQ_Wc
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »
Coating only one side?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
No, just demoing the difference .
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com