Author Topic: OEM Steel Wheels and fully welding the centers...  (Read 10483 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: OEM Steel Wheels and fully welding the centers...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Steve. You are not required to weld the wheels. As a past inspector I would never even ask or look after seeing the record speed of your entered class. Same for lug sizes. I know that some inspectors for some reason had to write things they "thought" were required but that all changed when the inspector had to write the page and section violated. Most of it stopped.
Most here will tell you to weld the because the rules are the minimum required and if you can do it under construction I too would do it. Especially if I was running on are record of 190+ but not 200.

Major problems come when competitor knowingly construct a roll cage/framing not meeting rules that have been in the book for years and they have gotten away with it. They get PO'ed went told they can not run any long without written engineer to prove what they did met the strength rules when they should NEVER been allowed to run without it.

Good luck....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline metermatch

Re: OEM Steel Wheels and fully welding the centers...
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
Excellent video Whizbang.  One should also remember that video even when adding air to tires.  Many of us have 80psi D or E load range tires on our rigs.

If I was going to try to weld the center with the tire on it, I would let the air out, remove the valve stem, and weld a little at a time and let cool.

I never thought about welding my Hyundai space saver rims for my CRX, as they looked really really strong.  My car runs about 150 mph, and I was never even asked about it at Bonneville tech, and yes, they knew what rims they were and did look at them.

I've got some more rims to mount different size tires on.  I will weld them before I do so.  Only 10 minutes with the MIG.

Jeff