Author Topic: '86 Camaro for B'ville  (Read 41262 times)

Offline overdue

Re: '86 Camaro for B'ville
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
you may to find a good trans guy to get the OD unit to handle much boost  better plan  a HUGE trans oil cooler to handle the heat if you are going to run a converter at all

I have a used stock LR4 in the 'maro, awaiting a used stock 4L80E, while I'm building my 1200-HP LR4 which will get a Jake's Performance 4L80E stage 5. I used a stock 700R-4 from an '88 'maro for stock transmission location, to adjust the LSx mounting. The 700R-4 is out and gone.
 I considered a Tranzilla T56 from Rockland Standard Gear, but their best one is a lame 2.29:1 first with a stout 0.76:1 sixth, so the ratios are far too close. Besides, it's only rated to 1200 HP and 1000 TQ, which leaves nothing for improving the engine, while Jake's stage 5 is good past 1400.
 I'm sure it will take a couple of tries to get a custom torque converter matched to this application just right, but I accepted that as part of the price of big power. In the world of GM V8s, transmissions have always been the biggest expense, even if starting with a TH400.
 There used to be 2.14 gears for the GM passenger-car-use 12-bolt 8.875" axle, and if I could get a set then I'd just use a SM465 and modify the floorpan tunnel to match. Or if I could score a GearVendors and a proper 9" Ford, but even with Quick Performance offering the bolt-in housing with 35-spline shafts for under a grand, it's still less unnecessary spending to invest in swapping a salvage yard axle.
 For dragstrip use the obvious winner is a F150 / sterling 9.75" since there are millions of them for under $ 200, and they have 3.08:1, 34-spline, and disc brakes. Just gotta do custom wheels or redrill the axles and rotors, then address the mounting brackets. It's not noticeably wider than the '93-'02 7.625" axle. And if I could score a GearVendors, I would never even consider any other rear for a multi-purpose 1200-horse car.
 You guys indicate a Ford 8.8" would be adequate on salt, so I've researched which vehicles were closest in housing width. I can have it 2.73:1 and 31-spline and disc brakes and Traction-Lock for under $ 200, by being clever at the salvage yard.
 So I'm still wanting a hardtop '85 TransAm, more than a record run. The D/MMP is so tempting, I may end up with more than 1 vehicle for the salt. Each starting point can be had for under $ 1000, and use the one engine for several vehicles.

Offline overdue

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
Page 1  Post 1  doesn't look like a Veyron to me.

FREUD

Really?  :-o
You must be a slow reader.  :wink:
Just wait until you get to page 5.  :-D

Offline overdue

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »

We're running a .040 over 6.0 LS motor, puts us right under the C class engine limit. From everything we've been told by GM engineers and LSx experts, that's the perfect overbore for these motors. That would keep you in D class, then add a couple turbos and make some big power. We used the stock 317 heads for a few years before going to LSA (caddy CTS-v) heads, an Edelbrock Vic Jr. EFI intake and a VSP blower cam. It made 880whp on a Mustang, corrected to 1023 on a Dynojet on 15psi.  Good luck!

Thanks! I'm of the opinion that cylinder wall thickness is worth more to my plans than 4.4% more displacement.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
We didn't necessarily go with the .040" for 6 extra cubes, but
because it "unshrouds the valves" with rectangular port heads.
Not my words, but someone who makes 1,300hp on a boosted
.040" over 5.3. I'll take his word for it.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »
S-10 with a TransAm nose and nitrous.  I'd get 43-spline axles for it in case it ever hooked up.  Easy to classify -- T.O.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline overdue

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »
S-10 with a TransAm nose and nitrous.  I'd get 43-spline axles for it in case it ever hooked up.  Easy to classify -- T.O.
You and 4-barrel-Mike team up and build it, once you find those 43-spliners.

Offline overdue

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
We didn't necessarily go with the .040" for 6 extra cubes, but
because it "unshrouds the valves" with rectangular port heads.
Not my words, but someone who makes 1,300hp on a boosted
.040" over 5.3. I'll take his word for it.

No doubt, since those rect.-ports have chambers sized for 4.065" bores.
The salt should love how those heads kill off-idle torque compared to cathedral-ports.
 I'd bet money that the overbore didn't gain him a single horsepower unless he either changed heads or went larger than 2.00" intake valves.
 Still, used blocks still showing the factory crosshatch at standard bore are still so easy to find. The EFI is so good now that, combined with the better iron of precision mixing and the lower-tension rings, that ring ridges are ancient history.
 This 'maro bay be a good way to try ideas for the T/A I haven't yet found, but I have so little build time available to spend in my garage that I'm entertaining ideas of a fun daily driver by having a trusted mechanic add a pair of turbos to a new K2500HD RCLB 6.0L 4x4, which should be an easy 720 HP with no garage time out of my schedule. The pickup I'm driving is reliable and low mileage, but slow and looks embarassing.
 Problem is, that would take funds I might invest in earning my red cap.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
T.O. = no records no red hat at least in BNI and SCTA :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
Od,

I thought you mentioned you were not interested in records. Just wanted to run 255, or am I confusing your thread with another?

Club membership comes with a record from BNI, SCTA, USFRA or FIA/FIM only.

Good luck,
Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline overdue

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
Od,

I thought you mentioned you were not interested in records. Just wanted to run 255, or am I confusing your thread with another?

Club membership comes with a record from BNI, SCTA, USFRA or FIA/FIM only.

Good luck,
Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club

No, you're not confused. I'd already started copying HotRod magazine's 1203-horse build when I realized it was too much for the street, I could only use that much in a dedicated drag car, or I could go to the salt. 255's always been a magical MPH target to me, since GM's old TPI ECMs couldn't accomodate more than that. Then 254 was the Callaway Sledgehammer's speed, then the Veyron's. Now I've read something about a red cap for an official 200 MPH.
 This thread was to join in a new crowd, make a record of my LSx progress, and research before investing in anything beyond what I already had my heart set on. I've mastered drag racing well enough to suit me, in the 21 years I've had a driver's license, and I'm loving learning about the salt.
 I've been reading other people's threads more and more, seldom commenting, and I'm enjoying it all. My thanks to everyone reading this. So I just finished a big project at work, gives me more time to be in here reading and posting.
 When you see me post a pic of a Firebird, an S-10, a Fiero, or a Corvette, then you can know what I'll bring to SpeedWeek 2015. Until then, running 124 in this 'maro would be awesome!
 And on that note, I just found a used '86 Z28 nose with the ground effect barely damaged. I want it!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2014, 05:53:51 PM »
To put a bit of rain on your parade - without malice, please, you need to know that a red hat doesn't get awarded to you for "merely" exceeding 200 on an official timed run at Bonneville.  You're required to set a record (in your chosen class) over the existing record -- or over 200 if there is no record ("open record").

A record is a pair of sequential runs (qualifying one day and backing up the record the next) whose average speed is at least .001 mph above the existing record/200 mph mark.

Not quite as easy to do - but very satisfying once you've done it.  And when you do qualify for the Club you'll find dang near everyone knows it and will congratulate you.  I think the most exciting recognition is when your crew arrives to get the car and they're all gone crazy and yelling and flashing their hands showing TWO!

Best wishes, and we'll see you on the salt - right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online salt27

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »
SSS,
  You neglected to mention minimums.   :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
. . . meaning you can set a record over 200 and over an existing record and still be 30 MPH short because of the 200 Club minimums.  Check their website for minimums at Bonneville.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline overdue

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Thanks kindly you three.
 I just got handed a new project at work, so I'll be away for a while.
I'll see y'all on the salt, in person, as a friend, whether I run anything or not.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
Well, well -- I did indeed not include minimums.  I erred in looking in the Rulebook and not the 200 MPH Club book of records.  Per the rulebook the minimums are at El Mirage -- so I took out a line mentioning them.  Thanks for setting me straight.  I was wrong.

The only time I've ever been wrong was the time I thought I was mistaken. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com