Author Topic: Ron Main--The Book, the bad & the ugly  (Read 10882 times)

Offline 1gemini

• New folks
Ron Main--The Book, the bad & the ugly
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
New Post: Ron Main, the book, the bad and the ugly

Ron Main has been way too busy with the new book, the show, and Save the Salt to post on the forums.  And if Ron has anything to say about someone, it’s usually to their face.  But it’s time that someone put out the truth on the Save the Salt donations. 

I first want to thank all the people that took the time and effort to make intelligent, positive, and constructive posts on the Bonneville book and the land speed show.  This post is not for them.  It is for the self-proclaimed email experts and loud mouths, whose minds small in size and number have been condemning the alleged evil caused by Ron Main donating 2,000 free copies of the book, Bonneville a Century of Speed, to Save the Salt.

The bad and the ugly
 “I don't understand the logic of spending $80 on a book and giving it away for $20”, I did not see anywhere where this is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and that buying a book would be tax deductible, not to be confused with donating $20 to STS”, “How much of your hard earned money do you want to pay to . . . nothing.”, “All of the money went to the crook”,

For starters, none of the 2,000 free books that Ron donated were sold at the Grand National Roadster Show. But with a $20.00 or more donation to Save the Salt, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, you would receive one of the books for free and yes, it could be used as a tax deduction.

The bad and the ugly are the ones who are irritated by the hard work of others and who only derive pleasure from constant whining and spoiling other people's efforts without contributing anything of any value to anyone or anything. I can understand them being confused and out of the loop with all their carping on the new Bonneville A Century of Speed book.  But one would think that they would have had some facts, before mouthing off and crying for an exorcism to evict the demons from the person they accuse of being evil and possessed.

But the real question is who nominated them to be the Mother Superior’s?    You know the saying, “He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”  If anyone had any questions, all they had to do was call Ron Main or Russ Eyres at Save the Salt, but that’s probably asking too much. 

The following should answer the unjustified hostility that was dumped on the free books and moneys that went to Save the Salt during the Land Speed Car exhibit at the Grand National Roadster Show.     

Ron Main and Save the Salt.

Ron is the kind of guy that often seems a bit nutty, very outspoken, yeah, sometimes a bit rude, loves racing, and he’s always coming up with crazy ideas outside of the box.  But dishonesty is not one of his faults.

Lots of people just talk about helping Save the Salt, but Ron’s been doing it.

In 2012 at SEMA, Ron came up with the Gold Donor Program for Save the Salt. It was not just another program with recognition for donations. But under this program the donors received real 24 ct. gold & silver plated bronze sculptures along with recognition. 

Ron also stipulated that in this new program that none of the money would be used for advertising, publicity, attorneys, hotel rooms or meetings. All of the money could only be used for salt replenishment.  The Gold Program was approved by the Larry Volk and the Save the Salt Board in May of 2012. 

Then Ron got on the phone (and on his own dime too) and started contacting and shaking down everybody he knew and could get a hold of and Ron got $50,000 donated to Save the Salt for salt replenishment. 

Ron wanted the program to be ongoing with a new trophy for each year, but no one stepped up and offered to help with it, but the program is currently still on the website’s store at www.savethesalt.org

Raffle Ticket Sales for the Bonneville Speed Week Vacation

After the gold donor program for Save the Salt in 2010, Ron came up with the Bonneville Speed Week Vacation Raffle.  Ron talked the Wendover Nugget Hotel into donating 3 nights at Speed Week for a Bonneville vacation at Speed Week in 2014. 

Ron donated his personal 8-foot long fiberglass 3,000 dollar replica of Speed Demon to the raffle. 

The car would be used as part of the Raffle display in order to attract attention to help sell the 5-dollar raffle tickets.  And who wouldn’t want to have that cool model of the fastest car at Bonneville for the last five years and be part of the crew at Speed Week? 

Ron then took the raffle, 8-foot car and exhibit to both the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, the L A Roadster Show, and the Super Nationals in New Mexico.  The drawing was held Saturday at the Grand National Roadster show.  Roscoe E. Morrow from Bakersfield was the winner.  This Raffle raised almost $18,000.00 for Save the Salt. 
The book: Bonneville a Century of Speed

Ron wanted a new book to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Land Speed Racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  This was a big nut to crack as Ron had never put out a book and didn’t have any money of his own to pay all the expenses of the writing, copyrights, printing, shipping, and marketing of the book.  Moreover, Ron wanted to have money from the sale of the book to go to Save the Salt for salt replenishment.     

Ron’s solution:  Just some good old P. T. Barnum bluff and a lot of out of the box thinking.

Now remember two years ago when Ron worked day and night to get $50,000 from sponsors with his Gold Donor program for Save the Salt.  Ron knew that the chances of getting more donations from the sponsors were slim to none.  Business sponsors aren’t like charities.  Businesses need return and recognition.  So then Ron decided on his Bonneville Book project, which would offer ads and recognition to the Sponsors throughout the new book.  Now maybe some might think that’s a bit crass, but these companies work with all of us and are part of our Bonneville racing family.  Yeah, it’s was a bit unusual, but that’s how Ron got the book financed.  All the details were submitted to Save the Salt Foundation for approval and then the program was posted on the Bonneville Century of Speed website.   

Ron then contacted David Fetherston on writing the new book.  David Fetherston is a historian, journalist and photographer, specializing in automotive subjects for magazines and books or in special interest automotive TV history and culture programs. He has been a prolific author and publisher with over 35 titles to his credit, including the 1999 Automotive Book of the Year.  He has worked in the word of marketing for twenty years, raced with the SCCA, teamed record cars at Bonneville, built race-cars, and recently restored a Maserati Khamsin.

Bonneville Books

There have been a number of great books on Bonneville over the years. 

These books all have two things in common:
1.) They are all about Bonneville.
2.) Not one cent ever goes to help with saving the Salt.

This is not the case with Ron and Dave’s new Book

Ron donated 2,000 copies to Save the Salt at no cost.  They will not be sold, but one book will be given out for each donation of $20.00 or more to Save the Salt at The Grand National Roadster Show, until they are all gone. Fetherston publishing will be doing marketing for the sales on the remaining books.  Ron Main will receive (0%) zero percent from the sales, and 20% will be given to Save the Salt in order to create an income for the future.  At regular retail, Save the Salt would get $10.00/book.

I could also go on how much time and work Ron has spent in order to get the book Bonneville a Century of Speed out and the thousands of hours of hard work putting the Land Speed Car show together for the Grand National Roadster Show.  I don’t understand why none of the Grinch’s has been offering to be of help to Save the Salt or the Land Speed Show at the Grand National Roadster Show.  All I could see on the forum from the Grinch’s was a bunch of loud mouth bitching, with little or nothing in the way of encouragement or support.         

The Grinch’s, who waste time dwelling on the negative with misinformation and pettiness on what they know nothing about just to criticize the work of others, aren’t contributing a damn thing toward the betterment of this sport.

The show has just ended.  And just like the $50,000 donated to Save the Salt in 2010, now Ron Main has now had another $40,000 donated to Save the Salt during the three day run of the Grand National Roadster Show. 

Dave Fetherston                      Ron Main                   RUSS EYRES
                  Writer extraordinaire                      PHD in BS               Treasurer Save the Salt

The ones that make a difference are the ones that have been contributing positive and supportive posts and are working to help improve the sport of land speed racing.  The ones who also deserve our thanks are the ones who joined with Ron to bring their vehicles to the show.  None of them were complaining about not getting paid for their time and efforts.  They are the ones who deserve our thanks for making the book donations and the Land Speed Show such a great success.   

Salt-Overlay-Replacement test 1

The money that has Ron has been rising has been restricted for Salt replacement only.  In addition to the Intrepid’s pumping program, Ron has initiated a new salt replacement program and it is currently waiting for approval from the BLM.

Ron is working with Russ Deane, General Counsel for SEMA, Chairman for Save the Salt
Russ Eyres, Treasurer Save the Salt, and Stuart Gosswein, Sr. Director, Federal Government Affairs, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)

The Salt-Overlay-Replacement test 1 proposes to will put 1,120 tons of salt be put down on the Bonneville Salt Flats starting from the frontage road at I-80 adjacent to the International course between from mile 0 to mile 2. The mile 0 to the 2 mile part of the course is mostly gypsum and mud with a thin buckled salt crust, making it perfect for our first test. “Having this test at the end of speed week will allow SCTA to observe and evaluate this process.  Hopefully after the finals we can use this process to repair our SCTA course wherever it is soft or muddy. I truly feel that by wheel packing and rolling this 24 foot by 2 mile strip of salt that it will stay in place, but if all fails we have put 1,120 tons of new salt on our Bonneville Salt Flats. I have contracted investor relations and marketing at Intrepid to join with us with the Salt-overlay project”—Ron Main

More information will be coming out on this very soon.

Bottom line:

Ron efforts on behalf of Save the Salt have been good for the sport of Land Speed Racing in spite of the bitching and whining from the small number of Grinch’s on the Forum sitting on their butts and contributing nothing to our sport except hearing themselves talk.

If anyone is still information deprived, rather than speculating or mouthing off, call and get the information directly from Ron Main (818) 998-7848 ron@speeddemon.us or Russ Eyres at Save the Salt.   

Respectfully submitted,
Bob Main

With Ed Horton’s help I did the parking plot plan—kind of cool.   

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Ron Main--The Book, the bad & the ugly
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
  Bob,  I think I speak for many or most of the users on this site in saying that We have nothing but Admiration and Thanks for Ron and all he has done for our Sport.  I haven't reread all the Posts on the book Review but I don't recall anyone taking "pot shots" at Ron.
  If you scroll down the Forum page you will find Website Suggestions where I recently suggested starting a forum heading to do amongst many other things, answer the basic questions that most of us would like to know, including what those of us with a limited amount of money can otherwise do to help out STS.
  The big problem as I see it is that most of the users of this site and the majority of other LSR enthusiast's haven't been in "The Loop" as the only information we are able to glean is rumor and inuetto or at best third hand information.
  I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Save the Salt Organization for not keeping (for Christ sakes) the bread and butter (that be us racers) of our sport current on events, needs of STS and Yes, problems we can help with.  This in no way means airing dirty laundry or rumors, just factual information.
  I for one salute Ron Main and feel he is doing more to "Save" the Bonneville Salt Flats than all the rest of us combined.
  I also want to thank you Bob (whom I have never met nor have any knowledge of) for having the balls to address this issue.  It is true that there is a "good old boy" faction our there who carry a lot of weight in the LSR community, and there are pissers and moaners on this (and any other) forum who like to make inflamitory comments from time to time but I don't believe they speak for the majority.
  I once again suggest all those interested in this subject to ask Jon to help bring this subject to a headline forum on this site.
                                                                                     with all due respect,
                                                                                                    Bob Drury
                                                                                                    Old Stud Racing
                                                                                                    A/CFALT *394
Bob Drury

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »
All I can say is the book came in the mail yesterday, and I am DELIGHTED.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:21 AM »
My brother and I have a strained relationship.
I gave him a copy and he called to tell me it is the best book that he has ever owned.   :cheers:

Thanks, Don

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »
I'm way out of the loop on this one.

How do I get a copy of the book?.
Reading material like this is non existent here in SA.
Thanks guys. :cheers:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
google Bonneville Century of Speed. It's the website. There is a place to click on that brings up a printable order form (which I did) so you can order by snail mail.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »

The big problem as I see it is that most of the users of this site and the majority of other LSR enthusiast's haven't been in "The Loop" as the only information we are able to glean is rumor and inuetto or at best third hand information.
  I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Save the Salt Organization for not keeping (for Christ sakes) the bread and butter (that be us racers) of our sport current on events, needs of STS and Yes, problems we can help with.  This in no way means airing dirty laundry or rumors, just factual information.

Bob Drury
                                                                                                    Old Stud Racing
                                                                                                    A/CFALT *394

Bob D, I find this a bit offensive and ignorant. I know a lot of STS folks that have spent thousands and thousands of hours over the last 35 years for our sport that don't deserve those comments, just as Ron Main does not deserve his negative comments. Remember if it weren't for these people along with Wally Parks and Russ Deane forcing a 5 year pumping project with Reiley Chemical in the early 90's we probably wouldn't be racing today. I'll try to help you get "in the loop"

There is a website: www.savethesalt.org  where you can donate what you can. You can even donate enough to get one of Ron Main's Gold Trophies.

Also you can get infomation about what is going on. http://www.savethesalt.org/Save_the_Salt/News.html  For instance this is from Jan of this year where you can see that your money from donations are keeping the pressure on so Intrepid will put another 350k to 400k Tons of salt back on the flats this year.

Also there is a save the salt coalition that receives e-mails of everything that happens with Save the Salt. One of them being the USFRA representative. Because they are in the loop we get a Save the Salt update at every USFRA meeting. Along with updates at each salt racing event. Listed below are the members of the Coalition, which can also be found on the STS website. Any of which could be giving you STS information. If you belong to any of those organization maybe you could ask them for periodical updates as well.

So is the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Save the Salt organization for the racer not being "in the loop" I ask? Or are you expecting a personal e-mail with updates from STS to meet your expectations?

ACCUS, FIA
American Motorcyclist Association (AMA)
The Bonneville Nationals (BNI)
Blue Ribbon Coalition
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials
Cooks Land Speed Events
East Coast Timing Association
Fisher Consulting
FIA LandSpeed Records Commission
LandSpeed Productions
Lessman Racing, Inc.
Motorcycle Industry Council  (MIC)
Off-Road Business Association (ORBA)
Performance Warehouse Association (PWA)
Save the Salt Foundation
Source Interlink Media
Southern California Timing Association (SCTA)
Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
Speed Demon
Susan Fisher Consulting
Utah Salt Flats Racing Association (USFRA)
United States Automobile Club (USAC)

Regards,
Dallas

P.S. to Bob Main, Thanks for your informative post. The racers are grateful for Ron's contributions to saving the salt
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:30:23 PM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »
  Dallas, I just revisited the STS site and I must be as you say "ignorant" because under "news" all I can find is four pictures of pumping with a little description of each. 
  Under History a find a brief description of what STS is about, but in neither case is there any mention of where STS is as far as advancing the Halting of the destruction of the salt by private industry with the apparent blessing of the BLM.
  Did you read my post under the Website Suggestions Heading or did you just read the above post and decide to rant and start name calling?
  I will stand behind my post and say to you, Many of us have and continue to contribute to STS and for that I believe that the info on its website is not only lacking in information but also in transparency.
  If you think that I have a agenda or think of anything other than wanting the best for STS you are dead wrong.
  I have nothing but respect for you and your family, Ron Main, and the many others who have been more than generous with their time and money.
  All I ask is that the Organization keep us updated with where we stand.
  I would ask you to calm down, reread my post above and the one on Website Suggestions and then if you still want to call me ignorant, that is your right to do so.
                                                                                                                 Respectfully, Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline DallasV

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
Bob,
My apologies if you think I was calling you ignorant, as I don't even know you to make a determination on your ignorance or lack there of. I was in fact saying the one quote highlighted in your post was, to me, a bit offensive and ignorant. Let me redirect so that my main point is that there is also a responsibility of other organizations that are part of the STS Coalition like SCTA to disperse the information they get to the clubs and members.

I did not read your website suggestions post as I was only responding to the highlighted portion of your post, But I will.

I did not assume that you had an agenda and am sure you want the best for STS.

You ask that I calm down yet I am not wound up. If it seems so, sorry, this is just how I communicate. Apparently I am too direct and course (my wife tells me the same thing)

Maybe without having to spend money you could show your support to STS by requesting to the board to take over responsibility of the STS website?

Addressing your last comment I still do not want to call you ignorant, I was referring to only one small section of your post.

I would ask you to calm down (tongue in cheek), and understand the intention of my post,
 (That the blame is not just squarely on the shoulders of the Save the Salt Organization for not keeping (for Christ sakes) the bread and butter (that be us racers) of our sport current on events, needs of STS and Yes, problems we can help with.)
then  if you want to say that I am just "ranting" and "name calling", then you have the right to do so.

Not picking a fight, just passionate about the subject,

Dallas

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
   And believe me, I fully understand your passion.
   I wish I was smart enough in both life and computerese to follow up on your offer, but I STILL haven't figured out how to post a darn picture.
   Anyway, thanks for the response and if we ever meet I will buy you a beer.
   We all need to work together on this and If I don't have my car together I plan on coming down and maybe at the very least helping man the STS booth or what ever eIse I might be able to do.
                                                                Regards, and lets all pray for good Salt......
                                                                                            Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline DallasV

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
Bob:  :cheers:  what do you say we have Ron Main buy us both a beer. Apparently he is making a butt load of money on his book.  :evil:   JOKING

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
Ron is one of those split personality types. Spend any time with him and what comes out is frequently funny, and usually inappropriate. Its very clear that he comes across as the class clown and has a huge ego. I love the guy, but many find him a little hard to take.

All the while his genius mind is running a very successful business, building the fastest car EVER, taking the time to be president of the Sidewinders, doing all this wonderful stuff for Save the Salt, and probably ten other things.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
Ron, Dave, Russ and the other Mr. Main:

Thanks for the background. I want to say I got my book and have read about 50 pages and love it.

My mother used to say, "no good deed goes unpunished". Ron and company's efforts  and contributions are greatly appreciated from my perspective.

Thanks,

My 2 cents

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »
Ron is one of those split personality types. Spend any time with him and what comes out is frequently funny, and usually inappropriate. Its very clear that he comes across as the class clown and has a huge ego. I love the guy, but many find him a little hard to take.

:cheers:

Offline Podunk

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
Ron better be careful or someone will call him "Sir Ron" at the 2 club banquet.  :wink: