Author Topic: Welding mild steel  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Connor026

• New folks
Welding mild steel
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »
Hi im building a space frame for a streamliner made out of mild steel, and i was wondering what is the best type of welding to use? The tubing is 1. 1/4 inch and 0.09 inch thickness, which is the min requirements for the roll cage set out in the SCTA rules.

Any info or tips on welding would be much appreciated

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Welding mild steel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:17 AM »
Any method is just fine as long as it is done properly. Craftsmanship is important.

Don't overlook the importance of well- fitting joints and remember that the chassis will undergo distortion from the high heat of fusion welding. Try to tack things and weld symmetrically to minimize distortion.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
I would use only TIG welding only, if it was mine.

MIG welding is used a lot on mild steel, however, I'd classify MIG welding as "operator sensitive", in other words, you can make a big mess in a hurry, and weld quality may suffer in a dangerous way. You could have more weld defects than you can shake a stick at, if your skill level ain't up to the task.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
Hi im building a space frame for a streamliner made out of mild steel, and i was wondering what is the best type of welding to use? The tubing is 1. 1/4 inch and 0.09 inch thickness, which is the min requirements for the roll cage set out in the SCTA rules.

Any info or tips on welding would be much appreciated

Are you building a car or a bike streamliner?

Do yourself a favor - don't go minimum on a frame.  It's likely that by the time you finally get it to the salt, the rules might change.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Connor026

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
Cheers for the replies, really didnt expect them that quick :-) I was leaning towards TIG welding so thanks for clarifying. Never even considered a change of rules so thanks for the tip Milwaukee Midget, its a bike

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
I don't remember where it's at on these boards, but a little over a year ago, there was a big rule change that almost eliminated most of the motorcycle streamliners due to tubing size.  The rule was reprieved, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen again.

Welcome aboard!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »
Connor,
Do yourself a big favor and use 1-5/8 dia x .120 wall tubing so when you start going fast you won't have to build a new cage, and use TIG welding.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:35:49 PM »
Conner;

Besides MIG & TIG, there is the old- school method-- oxy-acetylene torch welding. It is a perfectly good technique but the cost of acetylene has gone up considerably over the years.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
I would highly recommend if your are not a profesonal welder I would find one to do your drivers compartment. The more certifications the better. I would also strongly recommend  you use DOM tubing one or more sizes larger than the minimum.
Its taken me over 10 years to finish my lakester (haven't yet,but close) and you don't want a rules change in tubing size to destroy all you've accomplished.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
With those sizes he's quoting it's a bikeliner. That size ruling might change in the near future to bring it up to streamliner specs so you would be wise to up the size now rather than later. Mig or tig is ok depending on your equipment & skill level.
  Sid.