Author Topic: Art Arfons at Bonneville with Green Monster, Nov. 1966  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Sam Hawley

• New folks
Art Arfons at Bonneville with Green Monster, Nov. 1966
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »
I've put together another video that you land speed aficionados out there may enjoy. It's Art Arfons and his Green Monster on the Bonneville Salt Flats in November 1966. This is footage from the Monday and Tuesday (Nov. 14 and 15) of Art's week on the Salt. The Monster was not performing well, in part due to the double rear wheels Art installed to guard against the rear tire blowouts that had plagued him in '64 (twice) and '65. They were causing more drag than expected. Two days after this footage was shot, Art suffered the mother of all crashes--at around 600 mph. I have cool footage of that too and plan to may make a follow-up video later. Anyway, here it is. Enjoy!

Sam Hawley
(author of "Speed Duel")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JU0dCCqzU8

Offline bbarn

Re: Art Arfons at Bonneville with Green Monster, Nov. 1966
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
Some things caught my eye in that video:

1. It was November and the salt was dry...really?
2. I am pretty sure the driver would have a "small" blind spot at intersections regarding traffic approaching from the right side!
3. That jacket was NOT an SFI 20 or equivalent!
4. The open faced helmet wouldn't get through tech!

It's fun to look back at these guys. We revere them, we put them on pedestals and admire what they accomplished...as well we should. It is funny to see what they accomplished and how dangerous it is from our perspective given the advancements in safety equipment we see today. Cool video, love to see this type of documentation, way better than looking at stills.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
Nice video-- thanks, Sam.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
The early 90's we went to full face helmets as I seem to recall.
Freeze frame at 3.37 & see where he's heading on the return. I believe that would be the old Kaiser plant that was further away from Wendover.
  Sid.

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Your book was great. I sold a few at SW 2012. Keep up the good work..
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline Sam Hawley

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Some things caught my eye in that video:

1. It was November and the salt was dry...really?
2. I am pretty sure the driver would have a "small" blind spot at intersections regarding traffic approaching from the right side!
3. That jacket was NOT an SFI 20 or equivalent!
4. The open faced helmet wouldn't get through tech!

It's fun to look back at these guys. We revere them, we put them on pedestals and admire what they accomplished...as well we should. It is funny to see what they accomplished and how dangerous it is from our perspective given the advancements in safety equipment we see today. Cool video, love to see this type of documentation, way better than looking at stills.

It was indeed November. The season went really late that year, and also in '65. Breedlove set his 600.601 mph record on Nov. 15, 1965. There was NO WAY he should have done that. Art Arfons had the record in the bag for the season. But Breedlove found a window in the weather, a tiny little window, and he pulled it off. A thing of beauty!

Regarding Art's jacket--that was his lucky leather jacket. I've got a close-up of it somewhere on my website, of Art wearing it. It's in the land speed section. You can really see clearly that it's too small for him, and the zipper's been crudely repaired. Art's friend Bud Groff gave it to him and Art always wore it. (Bud is the smallish older guy in the video with the handlebar mustache.) After Art crashed at 600 mph on Nov. 17, 1966, and survived, he said something like, "I was wearing my lucky jacket!"

Offline Sam Hawley

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Your book was great. I sold a few at SW 2012. Keep up the good work..

Thanks, Cameradude! Much appreciated!