Author Topic: Need pic of old timing tower 1950's to 60s  (Read 3661 times)

Offline crawford

Need pic of old timing tower 1950's to 60s
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »
I'm doing a Salt flats display in Salt Lake City, autorama, and need a picture of the old blue timing tower so I can make a small duplicate for the car show! Anyone got a picture of it in the background or something?
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Need pic of old timing tower 1950's to 60s
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
Blue? I've only seen the red one...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
Mike, get in touch with Ron Christensen.  He's been around Wendover at least as long as you have and has lots of photographs.  And -- he's a master model maker and might be able to make something even quicker than could you.  If you want I'll PM his email and (if I've got it) his phone number to you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »
Mike I have some pictures of the blue tower, just have to find and scan them, how fast do you need them.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline crawford

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
I need the pics in the next couple of weeks, I'm making a 6 foot timing tower and puting a tv in it to show bonneville vids at the car show!
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
Here's one I've sent you from late 1954 at the Colton Drags.  Don't know what color it was. I know -- it's a '55 Ford.  It was common to take one from the showroom and end up at the drags that weekend.  Notice -- no E.T. light.  They were only timing top speed -- and usually both cars at once.  Sure a sharp-looking flathead Ford Six roadster gating that stocker.  Wonder what happened to it?  Oh, that's the one in my garage!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:28:33 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »
The blue tower was 8' x 10' and telescoped up to 6" had tilt up awnings and a ladder to get up to the platform. I sat in it for many years with Gary Cagle. In 1984 we built a enclosed trailer. The Blue tower was given to the Wendover little league.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JimL

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:18 AM »
This is really grainy, because the camera was tiny (8mm Autoron).  Dont forget the Cessna, which was parked next to the tower as an "air ambulance".  This is 1969.

JimL

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »
Can't tell you how many times I painted it out at Jim Lindsleys place. We did it right before each B'ville. I put in at least 2 floors, just put it over the old one. At the end it did have white "SCTA" in block letters on the side facing the singe race course. It was just wide enough to load on stake bed and raise the legs and pin them up in the holes provided........what memories....JD

PS: on the un loading crew too
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
  Mike,
   I have an old video that has a segment from 1952 on it and the old SCTA tower is in it and shown from several directions. It is in black and white. I also found the video on You Tube. You should be able to stop it and get a good view. Any way, here is a link to the video.  http://youtu.be/W543ymUVdgE 
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]