Author Topic: It`s it`s The Ballerum Blitz. Room for another Beeza?  (Read 43521 times)

Offline Rasmussen

Re: It`s it`s The Ballerum Blitz. Room for another Beeza?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
Saltwheels: It could also be the plenum being to small I guess. It's still something I have to look into though, so not really sure yet. Belt is still good, a few scuffs on the outer edge, but should be able to keep it until everything is sorted out :-)

Scotty: they're easy to find, but rather expensive. The one I'm using was close to 50k $ 15 years ago, but since then prices have gone down considerably. They're getting more and more common, and you may be able to find an electric company that has one. IMO they're very valuable instruments, often showing you things you didn't even know you were looking for :-)

Andy: Agree, in that you have some real good points there, but still there's nothing wrong in what I'm claiming. Specifically pointed out that actual temperatures were not to be taken to seriously. My main goal was to check the exhaust, which is all chrome, so like stated, any hot spots would have shown up. The intake runner is very cold like stated, and the charge (one of my concerns) IS getting colder when entering the plenum. Finding the leaking pop off, and the rubbing belt where just extra benefits. Things I weren't looking for but immediately noticed, and probably would have overlooked had it not been for the IR camera. Had there been a minor headgasket leak or a slipping clutch it would have shown up too, something I know from experience. So let's just say we agree on the temperatures being somewhat misleading. I still find this to be an extremely useful tool though  :-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:07:50 PM by Rasmussen »

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »
Just a note?
The "stepchild" remark is relevant - it's not a direct descendant or modification.
The "modern" unit B25, etc. singles share almost nothing with the earlier Gold Star, Empire Star etc. non-unit engines. The most obvious difference (other than physical bulk) is that all unit camshafts have both lobes on a single shaft, and cannot be adjusted for any function except advance/retard of both event simultaneously and in the same increment.
By comparison, the older B31, M20 etc. have a separate camshaft for each tappet (or valve, where SV) and this permits re-clocking the lobes WRT each other, changing the LSA and overlap.

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
Andy: Agree, in that you have some real good points there, but still there's nothing wrong in what I'm claiming. Specifically pointed out that actual temperatures were not to be taken to seriously. My main goal was to check the exhaust, which is all chrome, so like stated, any hot spots would have shown up. The intake runner is very cold like stated, and the charge (one of my concerns) IS getting colder when entering the plenum. Finding the leaking pop off, and the rubbing belt where just extra benefits. Things I weren't looking for but immediately noticed, and probably would have overlooked had it not been for the IR camera. Had there been a minor headgasket leak or a slipping clutch it would have shown up too, something I know from experience. So let's just say we agree on the temperatures being somewhat misleading. I still find this to be an extremely useful tool though  :-)

You were there, and able to wave the camera around, but from the images alone I'd want to investigate further as the hot spots on the belt cover and pop off just look like reflections of the hot engine onto the low emissivity parts. I saw when you'd said about not reading the temperatures too seriously, so realised that you understood about emissivity, but it's the flip side of that coin, the reflectivity that was for your benefit.  Maybe this is all obvious to you, and the polished spot on the inside of the belt cover will confirm the touching, but for me, based purely on the images posted, I wouldn't be convinced.

Andy  :cheers:

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
Re: blow-off valve.
You're in an awkward place, the "duty cycle" of your intake valve is brief compared to the supercharger discharge, which is pulsed as well. The Aisin has a 2-lobe rotor which means that the exact timing of rotor exposure to the discharge port vs. intake valve opening may be significant but your belt won't allow them to be reliably timed.
Normally, this would call for a plenum volume of at least 350cc (minus the volume already present in the inter-rotor space; yours is 150cc, manifold etc.), but this is very dangerous since it will be full of combustible mixture. A backfire will instantly overcome anything like a "normal" blow-off valve - it's too small. What's needed is a burst panel with much larger cross-sectional area as a "sacrificial" component.
The blower is at about engine speed, yes? That should product about 10 psi at sea level.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:40:28 PM by panic »

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »

from the images alone I'd want to investigate further as the hot spots on the belt cover and pop off just look like reflections of the hot engine onto the low emissivity parts. Cover will confirm the touching, but for me, based purely on the images posted, I wouldn't be convinced.

Andy  :cheers:
[/quote]

Hi Andy. This is exactly the sort of comment I was hoping for. Someone else giving their interpretation. Looking further into it, I actually believe you could be right about the belt. At least it looks way worse than it is. It was running kind of loose. Pretty sure I got it fixed. The popoff on the other hand, is leaking. Not much it looks, but it was definitely moist at the outlet.
Thanks for your input :-)

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
Panic: Thanks for chiming in, please keep them coming, I´m listening :cheers:

Here`s the Blow-off

I did make it quite large, because it worried me a bit, this being a first for me :-)
Plenum is 300 cc. It started out as 400, but as you can see there`s not much room to play with. I haven`t calculated the amount in the blower into it, but that makes sense.
About the blower: Aisin definitely wasn`t my first choice. I would much rather have used my Eaton 45 with it`s twisted lobes and smooth delivery, but unfortunately it is way to bulky for a bike this size.
Blower runs very close to 1:1. Have had my worries about how timing could have an effect with these numbers, thinking worst case I could have 3 "deliveries" on one intake stroke and only 1 on the next, everything being so close in size (cylinder, plenum and blower) Hope it makes sense?
What eases my mind a lot (believe I`ve already mentioned this :-)) is the way the bike behaves. It amazes me every time it is fired up how easy it starts (first kick) idles almost like a stocker and runs really smooth and "civilized". Once I get the carburation and timing right I´m convinced I could almost use this as an everyday runner :-)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:04:24 PM by Rasmussen »

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
If you get chance to play with the IR camera again you can do a couple of things to help with reflections.  Moving the camera around will allow you to see if it's a real hot spot, or just a reflection.  Alternatively you hold a piece of board, or card such that it shields the thing you're interested in from the hot engine(or whatever).  Just don't burn yourself  :-D

Andy

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
I`m there! It finally runs how I want it to, and I`m very pleased :-D
The weather has improved considerably, so took 3 days of work, and have been experimenting every day from early morning to late afternoon.
Changed the carb back to a 40 mm Keihin CV that I got on Ebay. Same results as with the old carb, running reasonably well, but leaning out at WOT, so time for jetdrilling. Have gone from 45 to 75 on the pilot and from 195 to  currently 210 on the main, and have had huge improvements

Still a tad to lean, but a 230 or 240 ought to cure that.
Retarded the ignition as I was advised to do. Started out with 6 degrees, that made the bike very sluggish. Went back to 2, meaning it`s now 2 degrees retarded from what Pazon recommends for a stocker. Got the firing ring right in the center of the bend now. Amazing how much difference 2 degrees can make.
Have decided to go partially streamlined. Tried a couple of different fairings, but all were to large, the bike being really small. Really, really wanted a "Hagon nose cone" as was used in dragracing in the 60`s  70`s on dragbikes but have had no luck finding one. Wonder why no one repops these?
Decided to jump into it, and try making my own after watching a few videos on how to lay fiberglass.

Well, it`s not totally perfect, but for a first try into fiberglass I can definitely live with how it turned out. A decent paintjob, and it`ll be just fine. Really suits the bike IMO, and may actually do it`s job and provide a little aero.

Next on the list is finishing the fairing, start drilling for locking wire and try to get the bike look reasonably clean again. Testing on the salted winterroads has left everything looking like it had already been on the salt. Rusted bits, and pitted aluminium all over. Even my brand new rearchain has traces of rust forming on it :-(. If I had the time I would probably take everything apart again, but it`s probably about time I start looking into logistics regarding transport.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »
Ras.............Interesting..............a real challenge to get the one-lungers to work with SC or Blower.  I run a Triumph Cub both naked and PS.  Take a look........www.facebook.com/pages/Salt-Team-Advanced-Landspeed/222251137821263

I know the A-C has be someplace..........but think of the drag and how much air it may be LOSING at speed.  Also footpeg and handlebar 'shape' will affect your aero.............
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
Ivan, is your BOV metal to metal contact where the seal is ?
I use a sheet of Viton between the plenum and the BOV with no leaks or problems  (so far) & it's banged open a few times (LOUD !)

I have fitted a "power jet" to my carb , hopefully. it'll help solve my wot lean out problem, without having to mess with the midrange I know that works.
I returned from the DLRA Speedweek burned out & returned to work, so life has kept me from the shed, but the desire to has returned.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
Hi all, sorry about rather infrequent updates, but being this close, most work consists of boring little details not worth showing, like drilling for safetywire and the like.

Old Scrambler: thanks for the comments and the link. Good stuff! Yes, it has been sort of a challenge getting this to work. Going from "nearly good enough" to "satisfyingly good" was the most mindchallenging part of it, although it seems like no big deal now :-)
I did have my worries about the aircleaner location, knowing how a velocity stack sticking out in the air can upset carburation pretty badly on a HD, but no worries, it runs just fine, and it is nice to have enough area to pick up a lot of salt and still be able to let air in.
About the aero:Don`t think The bike parts are the issue here, but the shape of the rider most certainly is. It`s hard to see how tiny the bike is, until you see a photo of yourself sitting on it. Damned, this bike makes me look fat:

Tiny: I believe I have the BOV leak issue pretty much sorted out. Started out with some real soft rubber that kept on moving off the seat. Have now changed to some harder stuff. No idea what sort of rubber, just found some old packing material and used that. It doesn`t seem to be affected by the gas, and it stays in place, so all is fine.
Good to know that yours make a lot of noise when the valve lifts. Have been wanting to ask, but allways forgotten. No loud bangs from mine, so reckon the valve isn´t actually lifting, but maybe just leaks a tiny bit at certain RPM´s. Imagine when starting and when it´s accelerating in high gear. Nice plenum you got there, makes mine look kind of crude :|

Tauruck: Thanks mate! As allways very encouraging to have a comment from you, especially as you`re playing in a whole different league, and I´m just a happy amateur trying his best :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Cool work you're doing there. :cheers:

I too am an amateur, believe me. :-D

I started building a bike but had to shelve it due to pressure from someone I live with. :evil:

You Danes are all the same.
My friend Guido is also into "some" special projects. 19 or 20. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 09:59:14 AM »
Have done a little besides the boring nutdrilling thing.
Had a good look at my rearwheel, which was okay I guess, but quite crappy looking. Started looking for a new one, and found this:

(Note to Scotty: you`re not the first guy to dream of building the worlds fastest Royal Enfield, I would put my money on you though :-D)

Another thing that bothered me even more, was the "spongy" feeling axle adjusters. Have allways hated these, and a change of rearwheel seemed like the right time to make a new set of heavy duty ones.

Old ones in the middle (obviously), new ones on the axle. Took way more time than what it looks like, having milled them on my +50 years old Pedersen mill with manual feed. About 200 passes to mill the grooves! Looks like total overkill, but once mounted they look kinda just right IMO. Adjuster bolts have been taken from 6 to 10 mm or 1/4 to 3/8". These stay straight, and keep the wheel from moving when being tightened, which was not allways the case with the old ones:

Need to drill a few more holes, to paint the tank and the fairing, finishmount the rearwheel, and probably a few things more that I forgot.

Working on finding a shipper at the moment. Have talked to DHL. They want close to 4000$ to ship both ways :-(. I was told that Friday, and it kind of ruined my good mood for the weekend. There has to be a cheaper way, just have to figure it out, and preferably SOON! :-)

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »

I too am an amateur, believe me. :-D

Haha, no way, or maybe so, but then an extremely talented one :-)
Even your gardengates would beat my bike in a beauty contest anyday :cheers:

I´m pretty sure my "better half" think it`s about time I get something done around the house too :-D