Author Topic: Save The Salt  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Save The Salt
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:27 PM »
  I would like to see a Major Forum Topic Heading devoted to nothing other than the Save The Salt program as I think this topic NEEDS and DEMANDS Headline Status PERMANENTLY if we are to see this sport survive.
  Without all of our help and diligence we may soon lose the only revenue producing LSR venue on U.S. soil (sarcasm intended), and if you think that we will still have the Dry Lakes you better think again because it cannot financially afford or sustain heavy usage by racers.  
                                                                                                               Bob Drury    
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:14:19 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Save The Salt
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
Bob:

It's with all due respect that I ask you -- what'll this topic discuss?  Fund raising for the StS committee/board?  The need to continue working to save the salt, perhaps with ideas being presented by those who have some idea of what can be done?  What else?

I'm certainly not against the concept of dedicating some space to the Save the Salt effort and will look forward to hearing from you - and others - about what will go into the thread.  Let us know - so we can start thinking.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
  Slim,  my thoughts lean towards a all-encompassing forum heading that could grow as related topics are added
  I can forsee such topics as: where do we stand currently with the BLM, Have we approached the new Secretary of the Interior and if not, why not? what is the hold up on Ron Main's Salt laydown proposal, where are we at on potential lawsuits with the BLM for their long standing oversite of the removal and destruction of the Salt Flats, Does STS still have a attorney and if so what actions are he taking? Do we have a leg to stand on trying to force the BLM to replenish the Salt Flats by trucking the millions of cubic tons now stockpiled East of the Intrepid plant? Was last years spin-o-rama at Speedweek caused by diminished salt, the consisitity of the pump-back salt or the weather?
   I believe it would be helpful to know the current war chest and even to give a forum for the (?) attorney, Ron Main, The Volks or anyone else to spread knowledge to the rest of us on anything else beyond money that we might do to help out.
  The STS website offers very little information other than a update on pumping. My belief is that by our placing this forum prominatly on the Forum page (so as not to let it get buried as time goes by) it will continue to stare any site users right in the face every time they open up the Forums page and remind us that the future of racing on the Salt is in serious jepordy.                                                        Respectfully, Bob Drury                                                                                             
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »
Not wanting to be the red head step child, or some such thing. I doubt you will get any info from STS other than the corporate line. You may have noticed that there are NO STS board members on this forum. Until recently any of Ron Main's suggestions, ideas and vision were poo-pooed as not in the interest of STS. For the first half of this month he is the hero, we'll how the month of March progresses.

I wish all STS interested persons good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
  Dan, I don't know enough about the subject matter to offer any accurate assessment, but any thing you can add pertaining to the subject would (as always) be appreciated even if it means stepping on some toes.
  Ron Main should not have to carry STS or the Racing Community on his back alone, nor should any others.
  The LSR community has way too much time and money invested to just say "oh well, let's just wait and see how this all pans out".
  So far as I can see, "it ain't panning out".
Bob Drury

Offline stuartg@sema.org

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
The Save the Salt Foundation website is in the process of being upgraded in order to provide more information in a timely fashion along with links to more resources.  This will be accomplished in the coming weeks.  Admittedly, the current website is deficient in those categories.  The preference would be to use the STS website as a portal for conveying information and answering questions.  We are researching a forum page.

In terms of current activities, salt brine pumping is underway.  Last year, 600,000 tons of brine was pumped.  Beyond pumping, the Foundation is pursuing a dry salt laydown test to be conducted in late spring/early summer of 2014.  Nearly 1,400 tons of dry salt will be laid down at mile 0-2 of the International Track.  The area is a safety run out and not used for racing, which begins at mile 2.  The 24-foot strip will be 1-inch thick and compacted in order to bond with the top layer of the salt crust.  The BLM has been receptive to the idea and is seeking additional information on specifics before approving.  If the project goes well, we will pursue additional laydowns in order to improve salt conditions.

2014 also marks the 100-year anniversary for landspeed racing at Bonneville.  To help celebrate, Ron Main organized a fabulous “Century of Speed” exhibit at the Grand National Roadster Show at the L.A. County Fairgrounds in January.  He and David Fetherston published a magnificent 300-page color book outlining the history of racing at Bonneville.  A portion of the book sales goes directly to the Foundation for salt replenishment, with over $40,000 having been collected to date!  Click on the links below to view the exhibit and purchase the book:
•   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2L9I8L-jpA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrOY6UtcrFThgtrMVApiOSg 
•   www.bonnevillecenturyofspeed.com 

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
  Thanks for the update, it is at least a start in the right direction.
                                                                          Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
I was just looking at some older posts and see the one above from stuartg of sema.  There's something that I don't understand - and wouldn't mind having explained if he's seeing this one.

He tells us that the dry salt laydown project for this coming early summer will be at or on the Int'l course from miles 0 - 2 which is "The area is a safety run out and not used for racing, which begins at mile 2."  No, that's not what i see each year.

The northbound runs are started as far back towards the freeway as possible - at the 0 or even farther back as far as the course will allow.  This is at the discretion of the team whose vehicle is about to run, giving as much run-up room as possible.  During recent years the course has been pretty poor for the first tow miles, yes, and some of the vehicles have chosen to start farther up the course than the 0 --  some going as far up as the 2.  Another reason for the move of the start for those who choose is the soft spot where there's an underground creek or waterflow of some type which makes for a big bump that can be extra hard on the driveline when a vehicle under power goes over/through it.

But still -- the safety run out area, as mentioned above, isn't that -- it's the first/last two miles of the course.  There is a safety runout area at the south end -- but it veers off to the right - slightly to the west and off the course per se.  Perhaps that's what stuartg had in mind when he described the area of the test dry salt laydown.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com