Author Topic: Fires in Aus affect one of our own  (Read 6889 times)

Offline firemanjim

Fires in Aus affect one of our own
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
Just got this in from team mate Kim Krebs.She posted this on Facebook.
Fires and Summer.
The good news is that Greg is OK. This afternoon a fire raced across the region around Gregs place at such an incredible pace. As a member of the CFA, he was fighting the fire elsewhere, when the wind changed direction and he decided home was where he should be. He was able to save his home, but the machinery shed, woolshed (where the bikes are stored) and some of the cropping machinery are lost
Our race bikes are toast, so this season's DLRA meeting wont include us. Unfortunately the old DLRA timing gear that Greg was repairing to use on the short track is now a molten mess.
So ... the good news is that no one is hurt ... and besides, the 750 was due for a new frame anyway.

This just two weeks before the DLRA meet! Talked with Greg just a bit ago and he thinks maybe his Busa can be salvaged. The 750 that Kim was riding so well is a lump as well as Gregs dyno, tools, and spares. He did save several other bikes and vintage cars and home was untouched as well as some really expensive farm machinery so he was in good spirits.
And got this e-mail with a bit more detail.
Don't know if you've heard from Greg.
He'd been out riding with mates and got home around midday today.  Not long later, he was called out to a fire that started at Wungnuh (possibly a dumb person with an angle grinder).  Today was 44 and strong winds.

After fighting the fire for a while, the wind changed and he headed home.

They loaded up the cars with important things (pictures, computers etc) and Marg left.  Greg stayed and all he could save was the house.  Bike shed (the old woolshed) is lost, the machinery shed lost. He was able to shift some of the machinery, so not all was lost.

Although he pulled out the bikes and left them in that open space infront of the woolshed, it wasn't enough.  He thinks the "Busa might be salvageable, but the 750 has just come up to 'replacement time".  No front end, just a pile of molten aluminum.

He's sleeping (yeah, right) in the car tonight and keeping an eye on all the embers and burning stumps/trees (all the trees down their driveway were torched.

He said all the fuel and gas around the place was exploding like he was standing in the middle of the 4 July display.

He's OK.  And that's all that counts.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Fires in Aus affect one of our own
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »
A very sad thing but glad to hear Greg is OK. He is a good friend and a good guy who deserves good luck.

It has cooled a lot but there are still plenty of places burning.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victorias-worst-day-in-five-years-as-fires-close-in-on-melbourne-20140209-32a3a.html
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
Damn, what a kick in the guts mate !
I'm glad you are ok though, and your home is still standing. I don't envy you and your fire fighting mates , but without people like yourself, who put your lives on the line to help others , things would be a lot worse for a lot of people.
Keep your chin up, and throat lubricated mate  :cheers:
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »
heard the report on the news last night that a fire had gone thru the area where Gregs family have their farm,, am happy to hear that he and Marg are fine and also that he managed to save some of the cars and possibly the Busa,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »
Greg, sorry to hear this, sure screws up a good racing plan.  But I was glad to hear you are OK, and most of your stuff survived.  Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
Greg, glad you guys are alright. Hang in there Buddy. Give my best to Kim and Alison. Wayno

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
That is a dangerous situation.  It is good that Greg and family are OK.  That s the imporatant thing.

Offline sabat

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Awful news, thanks for the report Jim & Kim.

Greg is the salt of the Earth.

Dean

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »

Greg is the salt of the Earth.

[/quote]

Lets bring him to Wendover and let him walk around on the Salt for a month or two.

Maybe he will add to our salt base.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
Bad news for the Black Art Team, a brush fire fueled by high temps and high winds roared through Greg's farm, destroying Kim's bike, badly damaging Greg's, and took out his shop with dyno, spares, and tools.This approx 2 weeks before they were to race at Lake Gairdner.
 Setting up a Paypal to help them rebuild. If you want to help out, buellrydr1@msn.com. thanks.
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline maj

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
 Thanks for the support everyone
Still assessing the situation
There will be no race programe this year, as i am fairly sure the cleanup and rebuilding will take up all our spare time  for the next few months
the buildings  machinery and tools are insured , its just the race stuff that was not covered
Biggest loss to me is the bodyworkand the moulds, its all gone and the most time consuming stuff to start again, but i am liking the look of the new catalyst stuff so maybe that would be a good place to start
750 has some parts that can be salvaged and that model bike is relatively cheap to buy
Busa is mostly unscathed
Start planning now for 2015

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
Good to hear,Bec asked me about the insurance-- cover the dyno? And good to hear the Busa maybe salvageable!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
Onya Greg, good to hear.

Stew.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »
Greg so sorry for what has happened but Ruth and I are so glad you guys are ok.  Hope you get back our way again for a visit your next trip over here.  It has been too long.

Take care,

Ruth and Sumner

Offline tauruck

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
I hate hearing/reading about stuff like this.

Sorry to hear about you losing your racing equipment Greg.

The bush fires have been on the news here contantly.

I hope you come back even stronger and faster than before.

God Bless, Mike.