Author Topic: Looking for a Roller lakester or project  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Boostedballs

Looking for a Roller lakester or project
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
I am looking for a fairly quick project to get on the salt. Possibly a lakester, streamliner, something with the potential to go 300 with a turbocharged Chevy. I like the idea of converting a dragster too, but I'm concerned about passing tech. I'm not too concerned about breaking records; I just want to see how fast I can go on my budget.
I will be at Speedweek this year and I can bring a trailer to tow something back if needed.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Looking for a Roller lakester or project
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »
I'm not a car builder - I'm a bike racer.  There's my caveat.  I know, though, that the car builders on this Forum will soon be telling you that converting a dragster, even a newly-built to good NHRA specs, is dang near impossible without spending way more money than it'd take to build your Bonneville car from scratch.

You've made a good decision to go to Bville for some spectating before building -- 'cause that way you can see how others have done it and you're not stressing to race while you should be just enjoying.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
I've been going to Bonneville since 2009 and I've been building a turbocharged V8 Monza in my spare time. The problem is that spare time is a scarcity. I work 65 hour weeks and that leaves no wrench time. I still have a lot to do on the car and it could be years before it's finished.
I'm hoping that someone has a project that is a bit more complete. I have an engine, fab skills, etc already.
As far as the dragster option, I'm looking at it as a parts pig for the drivetrain and steering, etc to use for a lakester. Any thoughts on this?

Offline anthony young

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
i know where there is a 90s top fuel car , body, carbon fiber seat, tank, steering, spindles, mtorplate ,front wings.no rear wing or rearend #1 check the rulebook first, call me and i can get you setup with this car  $2,250  its a steal if you can use it.  anthony young (562)637-3696

Offline jmetric

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:41:50 AM »
I am looking for a fairly quick project to get on the salt. Possibly a lakester, streamliner, something with the potential to go 300 with a turbocharged Chevy. I like the idea of converting a dragster too, but I'm concerned about passing tech. I'm not too concerned about breaking records; I just want to see how fast I can go on my budget.
I will be at Speedweek this year and I can bring a trailer to tow something back if needed.

Here is a quick one in Houston....
http://www.racingjunk.com/Land-Speed-Racing/182019056/Lakester-BGL-K-or-part-out-.html

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
Putting a turbo Chevy in it would make for a stimulating ride.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
Even keeping the K engine would not make this piece competitive with the current Jack Costella built record holder. I sure don't know what pictures these people look at when building a hot rod, race car or whatever.

Is this thing from Florida?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
In the classifieds of this months SCTA Racing News, Ed Houtz has the McCain and Houtz Lakester listed. Might be worth a look. Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
Even keeping the K engine would not make this piece competitive with the current Jack Costella built record holder. I sure don't know what pictures these people look at when building a hot rod, race car or whatever.

Is this thing from Florida?

DW

Ah yes, the great florida reference! :-D :cheers: :mrgreen: