Author Topic: Lexan for quarter glass in Pro class  (Read 10433 times)

Offline Geo Metro Racer

• New folks
Lexan for quarter glass in Pro class
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
Hey guys I am new around these parts.  I don't have the most recent SCTA rule book as of this writing. I am waiting for it to get here. But my question is: Can I run lexan in the quarter glass, door glass and deck lid on a Production class car?  I have trouble with the written word.  I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the near future. Thanks in advance.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Lexan for quarter glass in Pro class
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
I do, and in fact, I believe if you run in a class with a record of over 200 mph, you have to.

The alternative is "safety film", something that's never been actually defined with a product name.

This became the big bugaboo a few years back, and seeing as it took me a number of years to get the car ready to run, I simply went to the extreme, figuring that eventually, the rules are going to require it in all classes, and replaced 'em all with polycarbonate.

Welcome aboard - Geo Metro - production coupe - I class?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
Geo, your question seems to be whether or not lexan is permitted in your class, and the short answer is yes.  In fact I would say it is encouraged. 

Here's how the rule book reads at 3.U:  "All vehicles in classes where the record is under 200 MPH shall have SAFETY film on BOTH SIDES of all non-laminated safety glass windows, or replace the windows with polycarbonate material.  Common window tint will NOT be allowed as a substitute for SAFETY film."

"All vehicles in classes where the record is over 200 MPH sall have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.  All other glass, such as headlights, must be covered with SAFETY film."

I have lexan side windows in my CPRO Barracuda and safety film on both sides of windshield and rear window.

Offline Geo Metro Racer

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
Polycarbonate is the same as Lexan? Thank you all for your help and support.  Yeah I intend to run in I class Pro.  I have had some ups and downs since I started this project a few years back. But it looks like things are going to be more stable now.  For me its just fun.  This Metro may never put a whoopen on a Honda or a Mitsubishi, but it will kick the crap out of any Prius you have ever seen.   :evil: :cheers:  The new rule book can't get here to soon. I am probably going to drive you guys buggy with questions. Most of it will have to do with safety gear.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »
GEO;

"Lexan" is the trade name that GE uses for its polycarbonate plastic.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
Prius best mile:  134.6 mph with H. Kobayashi driving and me pushing off.

Above that will definitely put you over the I/Pro record! :-)

Admittedly, Not really a fair comparison, because we were 1500cc and Time Only car (no record or return runs made.). Really a shame the car got wrecked before it could come back to the salt, but the H record is much higher now.  Thats a good thing, so it all worked out for the best.

Regards, JimL

Offline Geo Metro Racer

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
 :? I did not know there was a class for Prius's. I was ajust foolin around.  But Wow that is fast. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »
JimL invented the class.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
. . . and maybe he'll even post a picture of it -- it was really pretty kool.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JimL

Offline edinlr

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »
Geo Metro
I was chuckling reading your comment about the Prius and immediately thought of JimL's run with the Prius.  Jim won't brag on it, but Car & Driver did a great story on the car a bunch of years ago.  Bottom line, never say your car is fast than a "blank", cause sure as heck one will outrun you.  I was lined up by BobDCuda's 6 cylinder Cuda during Speedweek last year and that thing was 5 or 6 mph faster than my turbocharged Honda 650 twin.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo