Author Topic: 2014 BUB AMA Supplemental Regulations are up.  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: 2014 BUB AMA Supplemental Regulations are up.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »
I applaud the changes for 2014, especially the change in APS to agree with SCTA and others.  And I really like the cap on the "Classic" bike year at 1981.  I think this will get more people interested in building a nice Classic bike knowing that later (after 1981) water coolers will never be allowed.  Let's see, Suzuki Katana 750cc dual overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, 82 hp comes to mind!  I wonder how big that motor is physically?

As for the distinction between Modified and Special Build, I think they are just making things a lot more difficult than they need be.  I would say just let any bike run that meets the safety specs.  If somebody wants to run a supercharged Hayabusa in "A", let 'em go.  The only person that will not be happy is the guy who held the "soft" record before, and that's just an additional challenge.  Unlimited in design should be unlimited. 

I am disappointed that there are some records that were set in 2013 (at least 3) that there was no class for, but their records were allowed to stand.  I'm talking about Production class bikes that ran in "Fuel" class or in "Production Blown" class with "non OEM superchargers", as these are specifically prohibited by my interpretation.  I wrote for clarification of these rules (not specifically pointing out the offenders) in the hopes that they would be rectified.  Maybe I'm interpreting the rules wrong, and if somebody can straighten me out, I would appreciate it.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
I applaud the changes for 2014, especially the change in APS to agree with SCTA and others.  And I really like the cap on the "Classic" bike year at 1981.  

Tom

The cap on the year was an good idea - But - Why limit engine class size to 1000 cc    :roll: 

What about the Knuckles, Shovels & Pans 1200 cc bikes ?  Why would the 74 cu. in. pre 1981 Knuckle, Shovel & Pan Heads be excluded?  I would have hoped that the engine size classes for the Classic Class would have followed the same engine size classification for all other classes. 

Stay happy, healthy & warm   -12 deg. last night, 9 deg. for our high today
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »
I have been informed by somebody in the know that triple trees does not qualify as altering the steering angle.  you must physically change the frame.

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »
I have been informed by somebody in the know that triple trees does not qualify as altering the steering angle.  you must physically change the frame.

Maybe you can ask your guy how they determine that the stock steering angle has/hasn't been altered. Do they use an angle finder on the steering head as it sits ready to race or some other method?

As I understand it, steering head angle is measured by the angle that a line through the center of the steering head intersects a horizontal line running front to rear of the motorcycle. If that is correct wouldn't changing the front or rear ride height effectively alter the steering head angle?
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
that is a question I would recommend you ask one of the officials personally.

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
A simple way to measure Steering head angle (rake) is with a simple tool called a saw protractor. Works excellent, used properly you can dial in right to the exact degree.
I'll attach a picture of the type we use - hope it uploads for ya.   :cheers:

Jimbo
24 Land Speed Records

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
I'll see if I can find an answer from the AMA Tech guys.

A simple way to measure Steering head angle (rake) is with a simple tool called a saw protractor. Works excellent, used properly you can dial in right to the exact degree.
I'll attach a picture of the type we use - hope it uploads for ya.   :cheers:

If using the Saw Protractor, what are us using for the horizontal axis, a bubble level?
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »

"If using the Saw Protractor, what are u using for the horizontal axis, a bubble level?" 

A good 4 ft. level works fine. you can use it for a horizontal or a plumb fixture.  I have checked rake angle both ways just to verify the first measurement.
Its really kind of simple and quite accurate.
I tried to up load a picture of how we do ours, but the file came back as too large - sorry -

Jimbo
24 Land Speed Records