Author Topic: 2014 BUB AMA Supplemental Regulations are up.  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Cereal KLR

2014 BUB AMA Supplemental Regulations are up.
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
Hot off the press, changes are highlighted with an *  :cheers:

Six months and counting...

http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2014_event/AMA-BUB-SR-2014.pdf
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline maj

Re: 2014 BUB AMA Supplemental Regulations are up.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
Much closer to SCTA,
And better defined than previously
Looks like i am still FIM only , but at least i go there knowing that  :cheers:

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
The most controversial parts of the rule book have been addressed. Now we have in writing that you cannot use a stock frame in the A class (unless you chop it up and radically modify the seat height and/or the fork rake angle.

On the other hand, now the rear wheel can be streamlined like in SCTA.

So they gave some and took some away. I wonder if this mean they will have less entries because of the A class frame issue.

Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »
Ok so as I read it my bike  passes as a special construction bike .....I have a stock Hayabusa frame raked 10* a specially constructed sub frame ( which lowers the seat hight ) ...extended swing arm 10" and a wheel base well over stock ....does this pass as an A class bike ??? .....asking now before I start a new rebuild project which will extend the wheel base at least another 20%
cheers
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:53:40 AM by hawkwind »
slower than most

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »
Big Thankyou to those responsible for getting these out so early,  :cheers:,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
125 minimum for the 5 mile course? My little 500 needs two miles to get to 106 mph. If it is about keeping traffic flowing, I don't think it is the sub 125 bikes that slow things up as much as the "no bikes running" time. Karnac the Great sees legendary lines at the short start.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline donpearsall

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
Now that I read the rules for the A class frame, I can't see why a "purpose built, non production" frame is all that is needed to qualify for the class. But even if you build your own frame, it still has to meet the other criteria such as seat below the wheel rim height or have two engines.

If you build your own frame, it can't have a "wheelbase exceeding factory O.E.M. dimensions by more than +10%" or "Altered steering head angle".  So that just leaves seat height or two engines to qualify.

So if I build a completely purpose-built custom bike with single engine and the seat height above the wheels, it will not qualify for the A class. But it will not qualify for the M class either, since that is for factory bikes. Crazy.

Don

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
Don,
I think you are reading it wrong. it says you must have a minimum of 2 of the following:

2 engines with a combined displacement not to exceed 3000cc.

Seat base
is lower than an imaginary line drawn between the
tops of the rims.

Altered steering head angle.

Center hub steering.

Purpose built Non production frame.

Wheelbase exceeding factory O.
E.M. dimensions by more than
+10%. Measurement will be taken at the most forward axle
setting. It shall be the participant’s responsibility to provide
proper documentation listing specifications.

So as I read it all you can still run a factory frame as long as you have an altered steering head angle and an extended wheelbase which is pretty easy to do.

Offline donpearsall

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
Yes, I know you can run a factory frame if you modify it. BUT if you build a custom frame, that by itself does not qualify the bike for the A class. It still needs to meet 1 more criteria, such as seat below rims or two engines.

Don

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »
If it is a custom frame then what would you base the swingarm length or steering stem angle off of? Think about that for a minute and you will see that if there is no stock frame to compare it to then it would automaticaly qualify as an "A" bike would it not? Don't try to overthink things.

Offline donpearsall

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
I am not over thinking, just reading the rules as they are written. If a custom frame by itself qualifies, why wasn't that in the rules? Instead they included a custom frame as ONE of the TWO criteria. It is an assumption that it qualifies by itself. If the rule makers intended any custom frame to qualify the bike as an A class, the working would be a lot different.
Don

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
ok Don,
If that makes you happy to get all tied up in the interpretation of the rules then so be it.  I on the otherhand can understand that a custom frame automatically WILL make it an A bike as any custom frame automatically qualifies it for the altered steering head angle and wheelbase so it immediately has met 3 of the criteria.

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »

If an altered steering head angle is a qualifier for the "A" class, how do they do the measurement of the angle when on the salt?

How much angle from OEM is enough to qualify as altered?

What/who determines that it is a "Production" frame?

If you have a 2008 GSX-R 1000 frame with a 1990 RM500 engine installed is "Production" based on the GSX-R or the RM?

What if there are no identifying markings or VIN on the frame, can is still be qualified as "Production" just based on how it looks to the inspector?

Lots of questions that i would guess will be up to the Tech inspector to add their "interpretation" to. Looks like a lot of Grey area up for grabs.

JW
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
I do hope somebody in the know does answer the above question about steering head angle. Would a set of offset triple tress that gave say 2-3 degrees more rake angle qualify or do you need to actually cut and modify your steering tube if using a stock frame?

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
I do hope somebody in the know does answer the above question about steering head angle. Would a set of offset triple tress that gave say 2-3 degrees more rake angle qualify or do you need to actually cut and modify your steering tube if using a stock frame?

I may not be the "in the know" guy, but - :-D
Since no minimum  or  maximum change in steering head angle is specified, one would think that whatever additional degrees you added would qualify as a changed "steering head angle"

I personally would NOT consider raked trees as being the same as changing your "Steering Head" - Fork trees are a totally different structure then the "Steering Head"   :-o
As for a "custom built" frame - I would tend to think that would fall into the "Purpose Built" terminology.
I am with ya Dan as far as sometimes you can over think something.  :cheers:
Sure we have to be prudent with the time on our builds. I like to just dissect the line and focus on the key words.. :cheers:
When in doubt pm the Tech Steward, he's right here at Landracing .com - & a nice guy, or e-mail the AMA and ask Ken.  :roll:

Have fun
Jimbo
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:53:01 PM by Uncle Jimbo »
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664