Author Topic: Liner budgets.  (Read 30416 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Liner budgets.
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
Serious attempts will not be controlled by SCTA rules.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JoshH

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
Every time I see this topic come up I have a little chuckle to myself. This has to be one of the best oxymoron's in land speed racing. Liner Budgets… Here are some other notable oxymoron's:

1)Definite maybe – as in we definitely maybe know what it costs
2)Deliberate speed – as in this thing was built with deliberate speed, it took ten years…
3)Negative income – as in I’ve achieved negative income funding this project

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion…

Offline tauruck

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
Thanks for adding so much value. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
Like many racers, Ton Main doesn't post here - but sits back and reads most of what we say.  Once in a while he sends along something that he'd like to say if he did post -- and here's one of those items.  Understand that I'm posting it for him as I would for you -- with full attribution and his contact information.  With that said:

Liner Budgets

Dean of Los Angeles

1st   Speed Demon nor any models of Speed Demon were ever in a wind tunnel or ever put in CFD testing.

2nd   It is becoming common place to dispense with all the time and work to build the wooden buck, cover it in foam and shape it  and all the work in bondo and sanding it.  Then you have all the work to create the mold around it. When you can simply eliminate all the time & work in building the buck. We choose to go directly to creating a mold witch saved us at least a month in time plus we got a perfect fit body.

3rd   The mold and body was not built at Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites factory.

IF you have any questions do not hesitate to call me any time 818-998-7848

Thanks

Ron Main

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 08:06:21 PM »
Like many racers, Ton Main doesn't post here - but sits back and reads most of what we say.  Once in a while he sends along something that he'd like to say if he did post -- and here's one of those items.  Understand that I'm posting it for him as I would for you -- with full attribution and his contact information.  With that said:

Liner Budgets

Dean of Los Angeles

1st   Speed Demon nor any models of Speed Demon were ever in a wind tunnel or ever put in CFD testing.

2nd   It is becoming common place to dispense with all the time and work to build the wooden buck, cover it in foam and shape it  and all the work in bondo and sanding it.  Then you have all the work to create the mold around it. When you can simply eliminate all the time & work in building the buck. We choose to go directly to creating a mold witch saved us at least a month in time plus we got a perfect fit body.

3rd   The mold and body was not built at Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites factory.

IF you have any questions do not hesitate to call me any time 818-998-7848

Thanks

Ron Main

Slim, I love it when Ron sends you this info! Thanks Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »
A reply from Dean and others that defame Ron? Oh yeah, backup info?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
Every time I see this topic come up I have a little chuckle to myself. This has to be one of the best oxymoron's in land speed racing. Liner Budgets… Here are some other notable oxymoron's:

2)Deliberate speed – as in this thing was built with deliberate speed, it took ten years…

Budget is not a bad word but it is misused a lot. Budget just means HOW you spend the predetermined amount of money. All good Streamliner projects are operated on a budget. Some budgets are just bigger than others.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
I've been thrilled to see the success Ron Main has had in the last couple decades. Twenty years ago I knew him only as the owner of Main Productions, where I'd call him and order hot-rod and race videos for my video store. He was always nice to deal with, and open to chatting about anything related to rodding.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline tauruck

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2014, 11:16:28 PM »

Budget is not a bad word but it is misused a lot. Budget just means HOW you spend the predetermined amount of money. All good Streamliner projects are operated on a budget. Some budgets are just bigger than others.

Or smaller! :-D

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:42 AM »

[/quote]Or smaller! :-D
[/quote

Yes I just maxed out this years liner budget .....purchased some graph paper and a couple of pencils ......lucky I'm only at the design stage. :-D

slower than most

Offline tauruck

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:01 AM »
Dig deep brother.
This is the ultimate test. :evil:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2014, 09:37:06 PM »
... Ron Main... owner of Main Productions...
Oops... name of that business was "Main Attractions".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
I often wondered if some of these fast and famous folks who I dont see post here come and lurk. Now I do. Thank you Ron Main for setting the inquisitive minds straight.

I also like what RobFrey said, a budget isnt necessarily the money needed to build and run a car, but how the money is alloted to run a car ( if I read what he was saying correctly )

Sum, thank you for mentioning that when someone new to LSR reads these topics regarding what it takes to build/maintain and run a car is rather intimidating and daunting to folks considering jumping in to this sport. As someone who has been around drag racing the majority of my life, I know that racing takes money. Sometimes these topics might or have scared off someone from even trying to do this ( and a liner wasnt even what hey were considering building ) It all just depends on what you want to do ( be a record setter or just go out and have fun ) what skill sets you or friends might posess and how much support you can get from the better half  :-) LSR is doable, its just a matter of to what extreme you want to do it. Thanks again for trying to not scare off newbies  :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
Frankie, from my side it's all or nothing.

Some days I spend it all and on other days there's nothing.

Literally zero.

I'm down to only two miracles a week. St. Anthony must have gone on vacation. I think I wore him out. :-)