Author Topic: Ice Water tank.  (Read 7607 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Ice Water tank.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »
Thanks Jim, Would you suggest a blast panel like on the funny cars?.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:33:16 AM by tauruck »

Offline JimL

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »
I dont know.  I just know the trouble I've had first hand.  Currently, I have an external radiator on my tank, faced away from me, so that it could fail first and give me visible warning of trouble.  My tank is stainless steel and much stronger than the radiator.

I dont actually use the radiator, except as a "component in position" to be sure my water tank is not considered streamlining, during "open" class runs.

I should tell you, when the turbo car torched through and expanded the water tank, I found the timing belt back-side rubber (where the water pump ran) melted onto the water pump pulley.  The water pump was not seized or damaged, but I think the engine was blowing water out every way it could and stopped or reverse spun that water pump.

It was such a violent steam event that it melted through the timing cover and cut the back seal out of the timing belt idler pulley, like a water jet would.  There was no sign of smoke damage outside the engine, just things cut and melted.

I dont cotton to putting jet engines on the intake side of my engines, these days. 

Anyway, my opinion is that whatever you use will be subject to saltwater no matter how careful everyone is.  It will get oil in it, and fuel, and scale, and more surprises.  I just make them simple and throw them away when I find trouble.

Regards, JimL

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
Just a leaky head gasket will spilt a radiator tank been there done that twice.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
one time I forgot to turn on the water pump from the remote tank to the radiator in the box and the steam from the return  line was so "active"  that it over powered the vent line of the  remote tank and ballooned it. I now have two return lines and 2 vent lines. We also put the water pump switch as part of the closing the canopy procedure.  Now that it is no longer left to the "cockpit monkey" we haven't forgotten it again!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:08:03 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
Thanks guys, this is an eye opener.

The learning curve continues.

It's a good thing I asked what I perceived to be a dumb question.

I got way more info than I thought. :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
There has been a time or two where we have forgotten to turn the pump on.  Does lead to ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2007-Story.html

...some work as a result  :cry:.  We were going to put a second switch on the transmission linkage so that on the 1-2 shift the pump would for sure be activated if it hadn't been already.  Of course we said we would do that in 2007 and still haven't done it.  I'll do it on the lakester or at least say so right now  :-).

Another tip that we haven't followed but should after having this situation is to consider turning the motor over by hand first each day.  Then if you for some reason have water down a cylinder it won't hydraulic the motor.  That happened once also,  more  :cry: :cry: :cry:,

Sum
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:11:47 PM by Sumner »

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »

Torched thru the head once '' tried to use a threaded sparkplug insert after stripping threads'' blew off water hoses, split seams in water tank and steamed up windows at 260mph. pulled both chutes and slammed on brakes. Patrol says, you sure stopped fast, yeah I couldn't see :-D

JL222

PS. That's why I like 4 wheel brakes.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »
I am considering putting a radiator size hose that I can have some kind of "burst panel" or or a radiator cap that has a spring that is slightly above the pressure that the circulation pump can generate.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!