Author Topic: belly tank auto cad/solid works  (Read 34430 times)

Offline hotrodderhaag

Re: belly tank auto cad/solid works
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 05:52:03 AM »
Fellas
One other thing to add. I work at a fab shop... So materials, welding supplies and the machinery is basically free.. That frees up a lot of $$ for this project.. I have basically a donar drivetrain already, 59a flathead, 37 3 speed trans, 1940 banjo rear, model a ford front axle , I have. 4 wheels and tires . All I need to do is fit if all in.
Also where I work we build industrial dust collection systems. We install numerous fire suppression systems... So literally we has fire suppression tanks, lines, and fittings on the shelves. This system is also  at my fingertips.

That will make this build easier. I'm not expecting it to happen over 6 months like some of the hot rods  we do. I'm prepared to take a few years to do this.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 11:21:09 AM »
Take a look around.  Some of the tanks with canopies that hide the roll cage are close replicas of the 50's.  And safe.  And you've got a leg up on some of the other equipment.  I'd think having the rest of the safety stuff would be easy.  Front Runner tires are not that expensive and they don't look that modern.  You could be safe and join the fun of the regular meets at the same time.  And, should you want to part with it, it would be more salable.  Rule book, rule book, rule book some more.  Good luck!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
Take a look around.  Some of the tanks with canopies that hide the roll cage are close replicas of the 50's.  And safe.  And you've got a leg up on some of the other equipment.  I'd think having the rest of the safety stuff would be easy.  Front Runner tires are not that expensive and they don't look that modern.  You could be safe and join the fun of the regular meets at the same time.  And, should you want to part with it, it would be more salable.  Rule book, rule book, rule book some more.  Good luck!

Thank you stan. That's a great point.
The rule book will be fallowing me around places for a few weeks so I can really get the feel for the regulations

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
hrhaag,

There was a cool streetable tank out there a couple of years ago, build one of those and the 130 club might let you run it during WoS, contact the USFRA. 
Unfortunately, if you want to race a 50's style tank you will have to meet the current safety specs... because there are 1000 times more lawyers than there were in the 50's.  Those of us that race understand that not only do the standards protect us from our own stupidity, they protect our ability to race regardless of
the stupidity of others....
 :cheers:

Stainless,

I think you are talking about this one.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
There are merits to starting with a nice strong frame that meets the safety rules and also has room for different motors, blowers, etc.  This way, a racer does not need to toss out what they have done if their interest gets serious, if they want to run in different classes, or if they get fat and stiff.  All of these will likely happen. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
Yes Bo, but contingency does have a certain predictable, mundane aspect to it.

Bellytankers are for one thing, when you don't fit you can look back with fondness at when you did. :evil:

What you are talking about is the BMW 3 series.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »
Okay, I'll be the one foolish enough to ask... what that forwardmost piece is on the 'street' lakester... :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 03:47:17 AM »
Okay, I'll be the one foolish enough to ask... what that forwardmost piece is on the 'street' lakester... :?
airspeed?
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Tman

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Silly, that's the nipple for feeding!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
Air-to-air refueling?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ