Author Topic: belly tank auto cad/solid works  (Read 34317 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: belly tank auto cad/solid works
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
I agree with Mr. Back -- I see no capitals in your posts.

Is that seriously an issue around here?

Don't worry about it.  They're just a couple of prissy Apple people.   :evil:

Mike
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:40:56 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »
I was gonna say, I thought this was a bonneville page not grammar school!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
Howdy.  I'm Jon, one of the guys that hassled you for not using the shift key.  To your comment about this being for racing and not a grammar school I'll simply point out that the better your grammar - spelling, punctuation, and even capitalization -- the easier it is for one and all to know what you're trying to say.  We'd like to be able to understand you on the first try. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:14 PM »
I will email you some info on the tank shape.  So the way this sounds are you planning on racing?  I think initially you had indicated you were not. 

If so order yourself an SCTA rulebook, read it as many times as possible, and remember these are all just minimum requirements.

The square channel frame worked well for me, wasted some space, but gave good mounting points for accessories.
Now that is a seriously nice piece of workmanship!
  Sid.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 02:46:39 AM »
awelker: nice "naked" view of your lakester- looks fantastic!
How much clearance between the inboard "moon discs" and the front rims? Any front brakes in there?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2014, 05:09:33 AM »
How much clearance between the inboard "moon discs" and the front rims? Any front brakes in there?

Yep , what he said

Moving on
When we built the Spirit of Sunshine, we had a Cad drawing courtesy of Reverend Headgash.
It made some of the stuff easy, however there was still a lot of trail and error with making stuff fit
we still have issues, like when we change the diff ratio, we have to take the engine and gearbox out to do it
It will all fit, eventually

Read the rule book, then read it again, then read it again, then read it some more
Then when you finally get your liner to tech, some one will point out what you missed.
I do tech inspection at two different meetings on two different sides of the planet, and I still miss some stuff on our tank
The guys on the forum will be some of the most helpful you can meet, especially ant 1;30 in the morning when you can't sleep
because you have been staring at something all day wondering how the gosh darned heck (Utah speak) you are going to make that thing work. Some one in Australia, England, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, or Tonapah will have an answer that make sense that will involve a part you can buy from a local salvage yard for $5.00

Yep, some of us will make smart ass comments, and some will not share, but most will help and give advice, some good some not so good
run a build diary here, it's worth while.
And if you have a few days spare, take a look at our build dairy, http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,862.0.html
It goes for a few pages.....
We were told by another tank crew, you will never make that thing do 200
but we have managed to drag 215mph out of a wing tip tank with a 3.8 Liter V6 that only makes a few horsepower
Anyhow, enough of this

G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »

Thanks, I have about 1/8" to 3/16" clearance from the inboard discs to the rims, both front and rear.  No front brakes although it would be possible to fit a small disc brake.

One of the nicest things the cad layout did for me was help in bending the roll cage.  From my cad drawing I created full size bending patterns with angles and straight lengths between bends.  Saved a lot of scrap although I still made my fair share in just plain screwing up the bends.

Offline dw230

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
"i first wanted a vintage style tank like they raced back in the day. but i was told there is no way in hell they allow those on the salt anymore."

There are plenty of belly tanks competing on the salt. First thing I would do is to find a new consultant.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
Yep, there are plenty of tanks on the salt, both here in AUS and in the US
And Elmo Rodge has bodies available and curved frame rails for anyone who wants to build a P38 style tank
So what Dan said, get a new consultant.
As long as it complies with the rules, and you pay your fees, you can run it somewhere
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline patina steve

• New folks
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
I made a wood mockup before I started bending tubing

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
I believe when he mentioned "like they raced back in the day" he was referring to the original batch of bellytanks without roll cage and current safety devices.

Steve, I never got to see your "wooden cage".

When it came to bending and fitting tubing joints my biggest helper was the angle brackets and hose clamps.  Cage could be disassembled and assembled as many times as desired, beats tack welds when things are still evolving.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
Very nice Awelker
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
I'm sorry guys for not being clear.  Awelker you are correct on what I was originally wanting to do. Maybe this site is not the place for that? I first wanted to build a vintage tank that I could race on the salt as a hobby. I was not worried about records or trophies. I wanted to experience what salt flat racing was like in a belly tank back in 1950. I apologize If I was misleading. I asked a fire friends if they let you do that sort of thing on the salt and they thought you couldn't but they were not sure. I was awaiting my rule book before I made any decisions .

I asked about tank dimensions. I wanted this so I could just play around with ideas that would be close . I want to design and build my own tank. So I didn't mean to come off as I wanted someone's entire design. I just wanted the tank shape itself really.
I appreciate all the discussion going on. I enjoy reading

Thank you

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
hrhaag,
if you want to race your belly tank on the salt without the current safety equipment you can do that anytime there is not a sanctioned meet in progress... there are no gates on the road and no one will stop you unless there just happens to be a BLM ranger out there... and then it is unlikely he would keep you from driving around, but you won't get a timing slip to tell you how fast you went. 
There are a lot of tanks on the salt that challenge records and some that are just having fun racing on the salt setting personal bests with something they created.  The safety equipment will crowd up the inside, likely causing you to stretch it a bit.
There was a cool streetable tank out there a couple of years ago, build one of those and the 130 club might let you run it during WoS, contact the USFRA. 
Unfortunately, if you want to race a 50's style tank you will have to meet the current safety specs... because there are 1000 times more lawyers than there were in the 50's.  Those of us that race understand that not only do the standards protect us from our own stupidity, they protect our ability to race regardless of
the stupidity of others....
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
Yes I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the right to go out there and play around.  I'll read deep into the rule book and see what I come up with. I'm totally new on this so it's a walk in the dark