Author Topic: belly tank auto cad/solid works  (Read 34463 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: belly tank auto cad/solid works
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
Superleggera, that is great info and I would think that anyone with some Solid Works experience could make that into a shape. Check out the NACA 66 Special A/GBS build in the Build Diaries section. Rob did most of the design using Solid Works. I think the car speaks for itself as to the power of this program. Regretfully I am still stuck in the "pencil CAD" aria so mock ups and chalk lines are my approach.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
I think can see where your mind is here, build a chassis structure to fit the inside contour of the tank & then load it with the driver & all the garbage.
You might want to consider looking at it from a different angle as in design the chassis & cage around the driver & power package & then come off that with body supports. It makes for a much simpler build rather than trying to fit the inside shape of the egg.
  Sid.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't resist! Cd is 0.046 in free air all by itself.  :cheers:

Add wings, wheels, lumps & bumps or the ground and it all changes! And that's what you pays me for!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
That's pretty cool Woody.
 Could you whip me up a front wheel drive Streamliner? 

Just kidding Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »
I think can see where your mind is here, build a chassis structure to fit the inside contour of the tank & then load it with the driver & all the garbage.
You might want to consider looking at it from a different angle as in design the chassis & cage around the driver & power package & then come off that with body supports. It makes for a much simpler build rather than trying to fit the inside shape of the egg.
  Sid.

sid,
yea that was my plan. it may be backwards. but i had a few ideas from looking at over a dozen tank builds on several websites.
see on hte "blonde Bitch" tank of mr. welkers. he used a fabricated c channel frame. whiich was also my intent. i like that design and that would allow me to make it the same shape as the tank and make all the mounting brackets easer for me... but thats just for ME...

all i needed was the autocad of solidworks models of just the tank shell. hell i can draw the components.
but i see measurments have been posted. ill have to see what that looks like

ben

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
    I wish we had planed to stand the body away from the chassis structure a bit.  It would have made it a lot easier to run wiring, plumbing, and cables in some places now that we are in that phase as well as easing maintenance in the future.  Also would have helped in the protection of vitals where they pass by the flywheel/flexplate area.

Ed

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
The posted tank dimensions sound correct for a P-38 tank, but these are typically referred to as a 315 gallon tank.  The aluminum originals bolted together at the seam line.

Ben, you said you have a 300 gal tank like the Old Crow tank.  These were a Navy Mark 8 standard tank, sometimes referred to as Hellcat tank, but mostly used on a Navy Albatross seaplane.  These tanks are around 30" diameter at the widest point, not counting the flange, 13'6" long, and the two halves are welded together.  This is what my tanks were, attached are some pics of the original decals.  These tanks have a much different shape than the P-38, longer, skinnier, and a less pointy tail.

There are at least two other tank sizes with the same basic shape, one much smaller at 24" dia. and around 11' long, another at 32" dia. and about 14'6" long.  I would suggest cutting open the tank you got and taking some actual measurements to verify what you have.  Even my cad model of the tank is only approximate, any given cross section of the tank in my model is round, in reality it is an oval.  Because of this my cad was only a starting point and final fitting of components often required a combination of test fits, mirrors, and checking clearance with a piece of 1/8" tig wire.

If you can verify your tank is the same as mine i will share the dimensions, but knowing there were numerous versions I would highly suggest double checking your actual tank before moving forward.

And yes, it can all be fit inside the standard length tank, it is challenging and can be a pain to work on.

Andy

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
awelker,
my tank has the exact same sticker on the side as yours does. if i could figure out how to load pics i could show you.
my tank was bought from a friend. it still hanging in his rafters of his garage. ill dig it out in the spring time. im in no hurry.
the reason i wanted to tank dimensions was so that in my spare time i could mess around with designing the chassis and layin out the parts i already have into a drawing, (motor, trans, front and rear ends) ... i appreciate your input. your tank is amazing. ive been reading everything i can on it..  im not really familiar with all the tanks. im a car guy that is getting into the tank part.. ive built a few hot rods but never a tank. im no pro at autocad or solidworks. my engineer at work is realling helping me out with how to use solid works. i used cad every day for work.
i appreciate the help, if you want to send anything, my email is   fordsledpuller1@gmail.com

thank you.

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »
I will email you some info on the tank shape.  So the way this sounds are you planning on racing?  I think initially you had indicated you were not. 

If so order yourself an SCTA rulebook, read it as many times as possible, and remember these are all just minimum requirements.

The square channel frame worked well for me, wasted some space, but gave good mounting points for accessories.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
Dear Hotrodderhaag,

Your shift key is not working.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
I will email you some info on the tank shape.  So the way this sounds are you planning on racing?  I think initially you had indicated you were not. 

If so order yourself an SCTA rulebook, read it as many times as possible, and remember these are all just minimum requirements.

The square channel frame worked well for me, wasted some space, but gave good mounting points for accessories.

i ordered the rule book friday. thats the first step.. i want to race it. i dont know shit aobut the classes. i dont want a full blown modern race car, as odd and backwards as as that souonds... so i have to read up on rules and requirements.
i first wanted a vintage style tank like they raced back in the day. but i was told there is no way in hell they allow those on the salt anymore.
im not worried about records. i just want to go have fun with it.. of course i say that now....

im going to read the rule book, and figure out classed, then i will start my plan on what i want and how i want it. so im not doing things incorrecly or chaniging my mind half wa through,
all i know right now id that i finally got a tank.. ive been looking for a while and i finally got one pried out of my good friends fingers.!

andy,
i appreciate your help, big time

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
Dear Hotrodderhaag,

Your shift key is not working.

Stan
?? my shift key

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
I agree with Mr. Back -- I see no capitals in your posts.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
I agree with Mr. Back -- I see no capitals in your posts.

Is that seriously an issue around here?

Offline superleggera

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
Thanks Woody for posting!  I already did the same myself though once I was e-mailed the data!  Always interesting to look at differing shapes and profiles as a learning curve for a lakester project getting started as I finish a MPS-650 motorcycle project for 2014.  As you mentioned, a fuel tank shape is good but all the bitsa/wings/lumps around it can drastically change the final results quickly! (plus the weight / size packaging of components within does interesting things as well...)
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner