Author Topic: Dirt Condition  (Read 9809 times)

Offline Eddieschopshop

Dirt Condition
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
So.... any water down there?  If we don't get much rain what is the projection for May?  I am guessing same dirt as November only we've used up alot of it.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Dirt Condition
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
First comment:  I'm way up north and we've got plenty of water in the water table, the biggest lake in the world about 200 yards from where I sit, and 4 feet of snow on the ground at the house.  Therefore I might not have my story straight.

At the GNRS last weekend I was chatting with an EM racer, and he talked a bit about the need for moisture there.  He mentioned something that I didn't know -- that just plain rainfall on the dirt isn't nearly as good as a nice, long-term soaking rain on the entire area around the lakebed is what's needed.  He described it as this:  It's not just moisture that'll help fix the dirt, but the fact that the runoff from neighboring mountains and highlands will bring minerals down to the dirt.  Those minerals are what the dirt lacks right now, and what must be put back in before the surface will begin to heal. 

Rain on the lakebed might help make the dust stick together for a short time, but the minerals in the water from around there are what's needed to make it get better at E.M.

That's it for me -- back to snow removal.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:58:17 PM »
We visited the EL Mirage dry lake last Sunday the 26th it was dry as a bone. Dusty to.
If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
Richard,

Was that you who called for directions the other night?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »

So.... any water down there?  If we don't get much rain what is the projection for May?  I am guessing same dirt as November only we've used up alot of it.

As I recall we were in drought conditions when Carr and Kaplan made the first 300 MPH pass at El Mirage. Don Carr was a great driver, so that and the 1200 or so pounds of lead on the rearend I am sure helped.  :cheers:

It all comes down to how the car tuner and car driver figure out, the conditions Mother Nature gives you to run on. Some are better than others.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »
Richard,

Was that you who called for directions the other night?

DW

Yes
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
Getting there is one thing.

Getting off at night is another challenge.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »

So.... any water down there?  If we don't get much rain what is the projection for May?  I am guessing same dirt as November only we've used up alot of it.

As I recall we were in drought conditions when Carr and Kaplan made the first 300 MPH pass at El Mirage. Don Carr was a great driver, so that and the 1200 or so pounds of lead on the rearend I am sure helped.  :cheers:

It all comes down to how the car tuner and car driver figure out, the conditions Mother Nature gives you to run on. Some are better than others.

Tom G.

Yeah, but do you know the reason they quit running El Mirage?

I don't Know for sure but before they built the dairy farms the lake courses were better. Are the farms sucking the ground water down so much to irrigate their alfalfa fields that it requires more rain water to saturate the lake bed for a good course?

We didn't use to have sink holes. '' SINK HOLES'' areas on the lake bed were water disappears into a hole, indicating low ground water.

Maybe George Calloway Knows how much the ground water level has gone down over the years.

JL222
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:50:34 PM by jl222 »

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
I didn't see any sink holes I did see a car or two running well over 100mph and 4x4's doing big time donuts. Donuts on the south end of the lake.
Richard 2
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:25:45 PM »

Yeah, but do you know the reason they quit running El Mirage?

JL222

John,

I am sure I was told but forgot. I know I sold Barry a set of M/T Tires I bought off Ermie Immerso, because they did not have any good ones left. So I will guess that they had nothing more to prove and tires played a part of the decision. Am I close?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:01:27 AM »
I have heard that some of the problem is the concrete drainage aparatus.
It directs the water to the lakebed, but does not allow the water to pick up minerals along the way.
If not mistaken, the dirt needs alkaline as a binder to hold it together.

J

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 02:55:56 AM »
I didn't see any sink holes I did see a car or two running well over 100mph and 4x4's doing big time donuts. Donuts on the south end of the lake.
Richard 2

The sink holes were showing up after rains flooded the lake bed and as the water was evaporating. But instead of slowly evaporating
on top of lake bed it drained down the holes.

JL222

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

As I recall we were in drought conditions when Carr and Kaplan made the first 300 MPH pass at El Mirage. Don Carr was a great driver, so that and the 1200 or so pounds of lead on the rearend I am sure helped.  :cheers:

Tom G.

Well I did okay last November so I am comfortable with the settup but would like to see better dirt for all of us.
My main concern was that without any rain we are going to be having a hard time finding unmolested dirt in may

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »
Probably going to have hand slapped for this, but here goes anyway.

This repair is not limited to just the respected club reps, everyone is welcome.

It might also be an opportunity to learn more about the lakebed and the SCTA.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
The soft spots I seen were probably the sink holes. From my experience the only way to repair the sink holes (soft spots) is to dig them out 3 to 4 feet deep or so then tamp them back full with good clay.
That's just my opinion based on sink holes here, far from there.

Richard 2 
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8