Author Topic: Mirror, mirror...  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

Mirror, mirror...
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »
Just double-checking: Can I remove the side mirrors in BGALT? The only thing I can find specifically referring to mirrors in the rulebook is in the Modified Category section: "In classes where the removal of rear view mirrors is allowed the OEM fender or door shape must be retained. If a fender or door stamping has a mirror housing as part of the fender or door, that shape must be retained." Fair enough, but as far as I can find, nothing explains exactly WHICH classes allow removal of the mirrors. Every photo of an altered car on the salt that I can find has the mirrors off (and the triangular mirror plate still in place), so I'm assuming I can, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, can I install a NACA-style fresh-air duct in the mirror plate once the mirrors are off?

Thanks...

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Stan Back

Re: Mirror, mirror...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
Page 100 -- start of Modified Category which BGALT is a part of.

Or Page 68, Section 5.D, which describes the Modified Category including Page 71, Section 5.D.2 including B/GALT.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:49:20 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
Page 100 -- start of Modified Category which BGALT is a part of.

Or Page 68, Section 5.D, which describes the Modified Category including Page 71, Section 5.D.2 including B/GALT.

Thanks, Stan. Are there specific references in those sections as to which classes allow mirrors to be removed? Because I know there aren't any in the 2012 book, and I've seen the changes that were made in the 2013 book (I don't have a copy of that), and I'm still waiting for the 2014 book, but I've seen those changes, and the only new reference to removing mirrors is in the Diesel Truck section. So maybe I'm just blindly missing the obvious--it wouldn't be the first time...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
As a build item that would take months to comply with -- either way -- I suggest you wait for the 2014 Rule Book.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
Yes,

The mirrors can be removed on an altered class vehicle. Also yes to filling the mirror area with a fresh air duct.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »
Yes,

The mirrors can be removed on an altered class vehicle. Also yes to filling the mirror area with a fresh air duct.

DW

Thank you!

Gary