Author Topic: Shootout 2014  (Read 7861 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Shootout 2014
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »
Yep, I'm already starting the Shootout topic for next September.  Mike Cook's got a list of the racers that have already signed up for the event - and here's who is planning to be there (as of about an hour ago, at least).

Jim Knapp and the Barnyard Bearcat,  Lynn Goodfellow and the Mormon Missile,  Jamie Williams and his bike,  Dennis Mariani with his streamliner,  The Nish family 'liner with the new hemi motor,  the Ack Attack bike,  the Castrol Triumph motorcycle 'liner,  Marlo Treit's Target 550 car,  Rob Freyvogel and the Carbinite streamliner.

Next paragraph:  The Bub #7 motorcycle 'liner,  Sam Wheeler and the Parts Unlimited/E Z Hook bike/liner,  Danny Thompson with his streamliner car,  Mary and Jim True with their "Truz Missile",  Van and Cathy Butler,  the Speed Demon of Ron Main and George Poteet,  Kent Riches and his bike 'liner,  the Ohio State electric streamliner car,  the Crower Cams car, and the Robert Dalton streamliner.

I'll keep posting new stuff as I get it.  Let me know if you've got questions.

First edit:  Add one more -- Al Lamb and his MPS1000 BF bike.  His name wasn't on the list when John Baechtel (the Cook PR guy) showed it to me an hour ago -- but it's there now.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:41:01 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

Re: Shootout 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:15 AM »
Wow!

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
Jon:
Have you got the dates for the Shootout yet?
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
Sounds like a pretty awesome list! There's some real fast stuff there!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »
It's a heck of a note -- but when I visited with Junior and Cook and Garcia and John Baechtel (all are Shootout people) at the shootout booth -- I didn't think to even look at, much less write down, the dates.  I'll find 'em for you today.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
Jon:
Have you got the dates for the Shootout yet?

Sept. 12, 2014..............

http://landspeedevents.com/blog/

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
You forgot to add the Vesco Turbinator II & meybe the 444 little giant.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »
If all are trying to run on FIA or FIM this is going to be crowded!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
You're right, Sparky, but remember that the list usually pares down as the event gets closer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
No, Glen, I didn't forget.  I gave you the names that had been placed on the list by the racers/race teams.  Maybe rick didn't get over to the Cook booth until after i got the names, but I not only checked to make sure -- but also, John B.came over with it when I had a question about a possible duplicate (we had both Lynn Goodfellow and the Mormon Missile down as entries when it should have read "Lynn Goodfellow AND the MM).

I'm sure not saying that I don't hope that the Vesco team is there this time.  It's going to be, assuming everything comes together, the fastest race event in history.  Adding the Vesco cars will make it that much better.  It's funny, but with the likelihood of so much speed and talent -- I expect there'll be a bunch of spectators, and I won't blame them.  but - personally here - for the first three or four years it was a fun meet because there were so few spectators.  Those of us that were there to watch and work got to mingle with the race teams.  Heck - there were more people there as teams and racers than there were workers and spectators.  It's gonna be different with lotsa people.  

Progress -- ain't it great?  See you in September, folks.

PS  I just went to the Shootout site -- http://landspeedevents.com/blog/  -- and see that it starts on 12 September 2014.  Take a look at the site -- there's a countdown clock on it.  225 Days 'til the Shootout begins.  Yay-hoo, it's going to be great. :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:40:08 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
Is there a reason why teams would go to the Shootout instead do Speed Week? Is it down to the fewer participants so more runs, different regs, classes? Or would they also run at Speed Week as we'll?

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »
Reply #10

Phil,

All of the main contenders invited will be aiming for FIA or FIM records - two way runs within an hour (cars) or two hours (bikes).  Such runs could not be accommodated at Speed Week.  However some in the USA will trial at Speedweek or BUB ahead of the Shootout.  There is every likelihood that British participation will be there too - in the outright Bike LSR classes.

I hope to meet up with folk not seen for quite a few years.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »
Has anyone heard if Mike Carlton will be bringing his jetbike to the shootout this year.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
Another reason that some of the vehicles choose to run at the ShootOut is the length of the course.  It's laid out with the measured mile and kilo in the middle and with equal length run-up areas on each end.  That means if there's 11 miles of track (which there would have been last year and was for the previous year or two) that there's five miles to get to the first lights for the mile, five and a bit to get into the kilo section, five and three bits to get to the end of the kilo part, and almost six miles to the end of the timed mile.  That's fully one mile more than at SpeedWeek or World of Speed.

If you've noticed the terminal (exit) speeds of many of the highest speed vehicles - they're still accelerating as they go out the back door.  At the FIM/FIA meet they can stay in the throttle for a full mile longer - hoping to increase their speed further.  Those are good reasons to run at the ShootOut and use the other events for running, records for SCTA/BNI books, and test and tune for the longer course for international records.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
Great thread Slim and good to see you and Nancy at Pomona.  Sam Wheeler will be there.\

We just released this video today of Sam's chassis dyno work on the new liner.

http://youtu.be/dyRRjmEcPe8 

Dick
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv