Author Topic: recent posts list  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
recent posts list
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
Hi Jon,

is it possible to have the "recent posts" list at the top of the page ?...always thought it would make more sense.

Another thing, on the mobile apps particularly it seems the font of some people's sign off line is ten times the size of their posts....  I love people who reproduce War and Peace on their sign off but once I've read it I'd be happy to just read the posts........

sorry to be a pain.....

Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: recent posts list
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »
I'm sure you know, but...

Profile ---> Modify Profile ---> Look & Layout Preferences ----> x on Don't show users' signatures ---> x on Don't show users' avatars (perhaps) ---> maybe others??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
I'm sure you know, but...

Profile ---> Modify Profile ---> Look & Layout Preferences ----> x on Don't show users' signatures ---> x on Don't show users' avatars (perhaps) ---> maybe others??

Mike

genius,now for the recent posts thing......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
Do you have the "Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit" link at the top of the page?  That's question #1.  If not, let me know, I couldn't find a place to turn that on or off in the admin controls.  But that's a very important feature.

There used to be a "Recent Posts" thing on the main site home page, but that was an add-on to the main program, and with various upgrades, that became incompatible.  The main site (not the forum or gallery) is going through another (major) upgrade and that might come back.

I guess question #2 is how important a "Recent Posts" feature is on the main site home page?  The web analytics show that 3/4 of the site folks start at the forum and leave from the forum.  (That's the way I visit a dual-sport motorcycle site, many times a day). 

No pain.  Feedback like this is necessary to tweak the site to make it as good as it can be.

Bob the Web Elf
Web Elf

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »
Bob,

Personally I never go to the home page. I go directly to the forum, then go to the bottom of the page click on recent posts and read all the posts I have missed. Sometimes that will be 3 pages, sometimes 8 pages. The only thing I sometimes miss are pictures that have been posted on threads by doing it the way I do.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
back a few years, maybe when JA ran it, there was a "Recent Posts" listing at the top of the page,  :?,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »
Bob,

Personally I never go to the home page. I go directly to the forum, then go to the bottom of the page click on recent posts and read all the posts I have missed. ...............

I'm trying to figure out the "go to the bottom of the page..." thing that Dr. Goggles mentioned.

I have an unprivileged test account, "emtest", and here's what I get.  (Attachment)

I *do* get a recent-posts link (actually 'unread posts') at the top of the page.

The big question is... does anybody else get this "Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit" link?  Top or bottom of the page?

Some things on the forum are controlled 'globally', (for everybody), some are individual preferences (and there are more of them than you want to wade through).  

I'm just trying to figger it out..... :?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:48:55 PM by bobc »
Web Elf

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
  You bloody Ausie's spend 24 hours a day upside down (according to the Globe) fer Christsakes, so it oughta be just dandy the way it is.
  It's the rest of us who have a bone to pick............................
                                                                                     Ol' one run, out.................. :roll: :evil: 8-)
Bob Drury

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
 You bloody Ausie's spend 24 hours a day upside down (according to the Globe) fer Christsakes, so it oughta be just dandy the way it is.
  It's the rest of us who have a bone to pick............................
                                                                                     Ol' one run, out.................. :roll: :evil: 8-)

Waugh!  So that's the problem.  The web site spins the other direction down there.   :-D

BTWE
Web Elf

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
I don't know how any of this works.

But I go directly to the Forum.  And the unread (and recent) posts are highlighted.  I read them a couple times a day.  They are not highlighted after I've read them once.  Works for me -- but how, I don't know.

But I can't get on Chat anymore.  Don't know why.  Not sure I care.  May have the wrong cookies (oatmeal).  Or server (wife).  Or something else I don't know anything about.

Don't screw with it!  It's working fine!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
I don't know how any of this works.

But I go directly to the Forum.  And the unread (and recent) posts are highlighted.  I read them a couple times a day.  They are not highlighted after I've read them once.  Works for me -- but how, I don't know.

But I can't get on Chat anymore.  Don't know why.  Not sure I care.  May have the wrong cookies (oatmeal).  Or server (wife).  Or something else I don't know anything about.

Don't screw with it!  It's working fine!

Unread highlighted?  Wow, the mystery gets deeper.  We're into the individual-settings area, needs some exploration.

Rest assured, I won't screw with it carelessly.  Heck, maybe I'll just ignore the whole thing   :-D

The chat is a major problem.  Almost all I've found are Java-based, and Java constantly has security problems and the browsers routinely shut it off or restrict it.  It's on the to-fix list... :-(
Web Elf

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 03:51:30 AM »
Hi Bob, I see what you showed in your screen grab....... and I'm upside down too!

please don't touch that "Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit" button....that's my update key!!

Dunno where Goggles has gone, but I'm sure he'll tell you what he see's real soon!  :lol:

Thanks for all your efforts fixin' the site......  :cheers:

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »
I think the attached shows what Dr Goggles means.  This is the bottom of the first page of the forum (I think) and shows the 10 most recent posts.  I don't remember messing with the configuration so this should be 'standard'.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
    The above in reply #12 is what I see.  I don't use the "recent" list at the bottom but look for and click on the highlighted dark blue boxes on the left of the index, then the little dark blue "new" rectangles that pop up on the individual unread threads.  After I've read the posts the "new" highlights disappear.  If I don't get to them they stay until I next check the list.  Using this system works well for me.

I have no idea how I set things up when I first logged onto the site years ago.  Signals come from an eye in the sky through firefox and windows, anything beyond that I haven't figured out yet.

Ed
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:21:31 AM by RidgeRunner »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
Why not use the unread posts since your last visit at the top of the forum page.  Then you find everything that was posted.
If you read all of those, you can then go to all unread....  :-o to really see what you didn't see for the last 10 years...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O