Author Topic: F1 2014  (Read 6998 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

F1 2014
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »
This is the year of programmers and engineers. Oh, yeah . . . Maybe drivers will be needed.

These are the basics:

This year the normally aspirated 2.4L V8 has been replaced with a turbo 1.6L V6.

Unlimited boost pressure in reality means about 50 psi. 100kg of fuel dictates that boost.

Instead of the KERS system (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) used in the past, 2014 has two systems.

From Jalopnik:
    Under acceleration the internal combustion engine will be using its reserve of fuel. The turbocharger will be rotating at maximum speed (100,000rpm).

The MGU-H will act as a generator and recover energy from the heat and energy lost in the exhaust and pass to the MGU-K (or the battery in case it needs recharging). The MGU-K, which is connected to the crankshaft of the ICE, will act as a motor and deliver additional power to pull harder or save fuel, should the control electronics be so configured.

At the end of the straight, the driver lifts off for braking for a corner. At this point the MGU-K converts to a generator and recovers energy dissipated in the braking event, which will be stored in the battery.

Under braking the MGU-H converts to a motor to keep the rotational speed of the turbocharger high enough to avoid the curse of the turbo engine – turbo lag. This is a phenomenon experienced under braking when the turbocharger speed slows as a lower volume of gas is produced.

When the driver accelerates and more gas is produced, the turbo can take time to return to full rotational speed. To prevent this lag, the MGU-H turns to a motor and powers the turbo, keeping the rotational speed as close to optimum. When the driver exits the corner and gets back on the throttle, the MGU-H returns to a generator and picks up the energy from the active turbocharger and exhaust gases. The energy recovered can either power the MGU-K to keep the fuel burn as low as possible or charge the battery.

Over the course of the lap, this balance between energy harvesting, energy deployment and (carbon) fuel burn will be carefully monitored.
http://jalopnik.com/how-formula-ones-amazing-new-hybrid-turbo-engine-works-1506450399

So, like I said, programmers and engineers.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: F1 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:24:02 PM »
God forbid that F1 should "degenerate" into a contest between drivers . . . . . .

I vote for radio controlled from the pits.     Oh wait, we have that already!!     Duh!!

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline JR529

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
God forbid that F1 should "degenerate" into a contest between drivers . . . . . .

If it was just a contest between drivers I wouldn't even bother to watch....

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
I saw some testing on the news tonight.

The cars sound better I think.

Mr. Hamilton was out of control and off the track for a long way before he binned it against the tire barrier.

I'll watch qualifying but not the racing.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
How many times are they allowed to push the button during qualifying?  Or alter the wing?  Or whatever silly thing they're going to do next year.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D

Lots of crying and complaining as usual.

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
Yup.  This is all very exciting technology and I predict will have carry-over to street vehicles some day.
E-Racer

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
Here are some of the Formula 1 nose configurations for the 2014 season.

Seems I have seen some of them before.........    :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:44 AM »
Good one. :-D

The thing that always amazes me is why they didn't find those solutions last year.
I know rules change but surely the cfd and air in a wind tunnel stay the same. :evil:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
I'm sure F1 racing design comes from nature.....  :-o     :-D
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
Then again, they could make a case that's it's just good, sound, engineering........    :-P
Michael LeFevers

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »
Here are some of the Formula 1 nose configurations for the 2014 season.

Seems I have seen some of them before.........    :evil:

Could those cars get ANY uglier!?!?!?!?!? How about they make a rule the car has to be asthetically pleasing?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Trent, you're right.
Even the Howler Monkey is better looking. :lol:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »
Trent, you're right.
Even the Howler Monkey is better looking. :lol:

Howler Monkeys remind me of some of the guys in line at the seafood buffet at the Rainbow.  :mrgreen: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
Then again, they could make a case that's it's just good, sound, engineering........    :-P

Now that's funny!

These cars are starting to look like Ace and Gary should be driving them.