Author Topic: BGC or BGALT?  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

BGC or BGALT?
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
Hey, everyone. I have a 2007 HHR that has had the N/A 2.4L engine replaced with a 2.0 and a turbo. The addition of the turbo puts the car into Blown Gas Coupe, but I have a question about the bumper cover. The bottom of the stock N/A bumper cover had to be cut to fit the intercooler, and my plan is to just replace it with the bumper fascia from one of the 2008 and up HHR turbo models (which is substantially different from the N/A bumper cover). But whether I replace the N/A bumper cover with the turbo model or simply leave the cut N/A bumper cover on there, I'll now be running a non-stock bumper cover. Does that move me from G/BGC to G/BGALT, or is it just the actual bumper under the cover that matters?
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Stan Back

Re: BGC or BGALT?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
To me, a roadster guy, the gist of the matter would only apply if you thought of running for a record.  And most opinions here would not be official.  And, then again, just calling it a 2008 would get you off the hook.  But the Coupe and Sedan Chairperson is the one to ask.  Look in the Rule Book.

I just looked and the G/BGAlt record is only 230 -- go for it!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »
I just looked and the G/BGAlt record is only 230 -- go for it!

Yeah, that should be easy enough...  :-o

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »
Are the rest of the body panels (other than the bumper cover) the same between the 2007 Non-Turbo and the 2008 Turbo models?

Since it's winter time, and this is a non-official response....  If the rest of the bodywork is the same, and the engine is based on the 2008 design, could you run as a Production/Supercharged?

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
Are the rest of the body panels (other than the bumper cover) the same between the 2007 Non-Turbo and the 2008 Turbo models?

Since it's winter time, and this is a non-official response....  If the rest of the bodywork is the same, and the engine is based on the 2008 design, could you run as a Production/Supercharged?

Steve.

Well, if you add a turbo or SC to the N/A model and then want to run it in P/S, you have to add ALL of the body modifications that came with the blown model. The turbo model came with a new front fascia with fog lamps, mesh-style upper and lower grilles, a new rear fascia, a rear spoiler, different rocker moldings, and a different suspension that gave the turbo model a shorter ride height (although I've already lowered the N/A version a bit). So I suppose I probably could do it. But then I just discovered that the G/PS record is 227, just 3 mph shy of the G/BGALT record (the G/BGC record is 200 and change). So at this point, it's probably moot. Mo' power needed!  :-D