Author Topic: Riders helmet rule 7.C.1 allowing european spec helmets  (Read 16904 times)

Swift33

Riders helmet rule 7.C.1 allowing european spec helmets
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Having noticed the rule change , 7.C.1 now allowing european spec helmets to be used , I have found a potential problem at tech inspection.  :|

Here's my problem ; I have a new AGV GP TECH helmet , and meets the new rule , now here's the problem;

After looking at the helmet i cannot find any sticker on the helmet that says it is ECE 22.05 , even though it is.

The only thing i have to prove the spec is a tech data sheet from the SHARP website , http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testratings/agv-gp-tech

I have downloaded a copy of the info , but my question is would this be enough proof. :?

Better to ask now than have a problem at tech inspection , hope this can be resolved.

Thanks guys , Stu Swift

Offline Stan Back

Re: Riders helmet rule 7.C.1 allowing european spec helmets
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »
This may not be the case, but have you looked under the liner?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
Similar situation in Australia ....spoke with several reps and was informed that European certified helmets imported into this country only have the Australian standards sticker ( that is all that is required by the Govt.) ...was told only way I could get a helmet with the ECE 22.05 sticker was to directly import one from Europe  :x......looking at many manufactures sites they state there helmets have either the ECE or Snell approval but sadly most of them are missing the sticker  (physically) from the helmet at least here in my State.
cheers 
slower than most

Swift33

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
Just had all the liner out , there are a couple of AGV stickers , but nothing mentioning the spec for tech inspection purposes.

The only sticker it has is a British Motorcycle Sport sticker as required by UK regulations.

So , how can i prove my helmet spec at tech inspection  :?

The only info i can produce is from the government website stating it's spec.

It seems we have a new rule to allow the use of european spec helmets but helmets sold in the UK are not required to have the spec displayed, so in my opinion we cannot use the new rule due to a technicality.  :-(

Is there a way around this guy's

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
Heads up, everybody!  This is NOT unique to overseas brand helmets.  Your local motorcycle supply store could sell you a helmet that says Snell 2010 on the outside sticker that is under the clear coat, but has no Snell sticker under the liner.  In this age of multiple distribution channels, helmets that were destined for another country can wind up on our shelves.

To their credit, Bell took great care of me when I explained what had happened at tech inspection,  by subsequently replacing my new helmet (from a SoCal store) with a new one shipped to my home.  They were very quick and courteous, as well.

JimL

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:01:25 PM by JimL »

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:53:47 AM »
I guess the answer would lie with the people who beat the Internet bushes to get this spec put into the rule book. I figure they didn't think that far ahead.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline paso54

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
We are coming over to Speedweek this year just checked my Arai Quantum it has an embossed sticker on the back in silver which clearly states its ECE 22-05.... Also has an ACU gold sticker which I know doesn't count but hey im an ACU tech inspector ..err and a Clerk of the course .. Oh and chairman of the NSA . Hope mine complies  :cheers:

Offline mbuk

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 06:56:49 AM »
My Shoei Quest doesn't have a ECE 22-05 sticker. I emailed Shoei Uk and they said they don't put these stickers on as all helmets sold in europe must be ECE 22-05. There is a homoligation number on the chinstrap but this won't mean anything to a tech inspector.

I have emailed Matt Shuss and he is trying to help. I don't want to buy a new helmet as mine is ok.

Swift33

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Yeh , waiting for AGV to get back to me , they did mention about the chin strap tag , like the Shoei , just a jumble of numbers that don't mean anything .

Keep posted any developments from the tech guys , cheers

Offline edinlr

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
A label printer from the office supply would be cheaper than a new helmet.   :cheers:
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
I don't think it's been mentioned, but the Snell Foundation sticker that we've been relying upon to make sure the helmet is certified by them -- is not only under the liner, but is printed on a metallic-looking substrate and looks either holographic or at least like it was lithographed.  I doubt that any of us could make a "fake" one that would pass inspection.  As for the labels from other certifiers -- who knows.  But don't try it with a Snell sticker.  Chances are really good that you'd be busted.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
We had this problem in 2012 when all the teams come over from the UK. We ended up buying helmets over there just to get thro tech.
But at least they are looking at changing the ruling for non US racers, which can only be good once they have finalised exactly what specifications they require. Guess I will find out when we return in a year or so.

Offline paso54

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »
So are euro spec helmets allowed or not? don't want any cock ups when we come over  :-D

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
We bought Snell 2010 helmets for $99 each plus another $14 for a dark visor.  It only gets used for Bonnevile.  Not a lot of money for complete peace of mind.

Offline maj

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
Couple of yrs ago i took advantage of the better US pricing and brought myself a nice Snell spec Shoei for much less than i could here
then transferred a Aussie compliance sticker so i can use it at home
Figure my head is worth more than $99  :wink: