Author Topic: carb level  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

carb level
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
Can someone tell me how necessary it is to have the carbs level or how many degrees can be tolerated. My carbs are Dominators, offset, not square, sideways.

Thanks for any info
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: carb level
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:38:06 AM »
Carbs are typically tilted forward a bit (~3 degrees) because of acceleration forces, as in drag racing.

But I would defer to someone with more recent drag/salt experience in this.    What does Holley recommend?
 :cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Most of the older cars had the engine/driveline installed at about 3 deg. and the manifold compensated for that and brought the carb back level.  Still look at the angles cars operated at in many locations on various roads.

I don't think I'd be too worried about 3-5 deg. off,

Sum

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
So long as it's not extreme there shouldn't be a problem Ron but monitor fuel pressure & egt's if you can. Lean holes get expensive. If you're worried about it, mill up some spacers to level it all up-ish. :-D
  Sid.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
My Holley is mounted sideways and level with the engine and we've never had a problem loosening fuel under acceleration.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro