Author Topic: July 2014 Test and Tune  (Read 108835 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: July 2014 Test and Tune
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
Sum, I'll see you tomorrow my friend. We got nothing in Salina. Wayno

Offline jl222

« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
Our trip yesterday was a success.  We were able to get all of the fossil fuel gizmos running.  We surgically repaired the timing  trailer that had been violated by the vandals.  Delivered the fire extinguishers, and tested the line spraying equipment along with some new possible black line chemistry.
The track conditions are good, the salt is drying nicely and we will have a nice course for the event.  The photos show in order,
the start line, the two mile, three mile and then a shot of the area for speedweek numbers three and four.
I didn't get this posted last night because I got home at 11:00 pm and was just too tired
Anyway,  here they are.  I will post additional photos later.

has the course been dragged? Start line looks real loose and 2 and 3 has salt piles.

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
July 2014 Test and Tune
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
What's the latest time we could get checked in tonight an dteched? We probably will not be there until 7pm.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline DallasV

« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
What's the latest time we could get checked in tonight an dteched? We probably will not be there until 7pm.

You may get checked in but I highly doubt you get tech'd. I imagine that a newly built liner that is looking a 5 bills will be under the microscope for a goodly amount of time.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
Just came off the salt.  The course is smooth and ready.  We did get some light sprinkles of rain about 6:00 pm.
No standing water,  the wind was blowing pretty hard as well.  It is now partly cloudy and looks as though the
threat of rain is over.
Will see if I can get time to post some pictures tomorrow.

Offline Wester

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
Tom Burkland suggested yesterday that the later in the day cars were teched the more critically they would be checked out.  He was talking about a 5:00 PM cut off time.  It requires three inspectors for a liner and they confer on everything that any one of them questions.  It took a long time for Marlo's car even though it had been 'scrutineered' in the past.  No shortcuts at the Test & Tune inspection.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »
I'd hate to bother Danny at this point; does anybody know whether his mom (Judy) is with him?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »
I'd hate to bother Danny at this point; does anybody know whether his mom (Judy) is with him?

I'd say the answer is YES!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2014, 01:02:04 AM »
This is really great! I am not able to make Speed Week this year,(Oldest son getting married on Aug 9! Some how my wife thinks I need to be there!) anyway I am planning to make the test and tune just to be able to see some of the cars I will miss. Thanks again!!!! See  you in a week!

Rex

Rex? there'll be a lonely margarita  :cry:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline sabat

« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »

I'd say the answer is YES!

Superb picture!!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
I asked this on the other Test n Tune post and figured I'd double down and ask here. Apparently at the test and tune, a new car (lakester/streamliner) has to make 3 passes under 150 to checkers things out (going off of Sparky's deal) on top of licensing passes? If I make it to this event next year, would I have to do the same thing at Speed Week? I'm curious how this works...

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
[

Rex? there'll be a lonely margarita  :cry:

/quote]

Sorry Doc, have an extra one for me!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
I asked this on the other Test n Tune post and figured I'd double down and ask here. Apparently at the test and tune, a new car (lakester/streamliner) has to make 3 passes under 150 to checkers things out (going off of Sparky's deal) on top of licensing passes? If I make it to this event next year, would I have to do the same thing at Speed Week? I'm curious how this works...

No you shouldn't have to.  There were a couple specific things on the car that factored into the decision for the 3 runs under 150.  Also this is USFRA not SCTA so they can require what they want and we had no problem running to their requirements and we learned a lot about the car and some changes will be done before SW.  I think it is wise to factor into your schedule time for extra runs.  There were some very high end cars at the meet that had problems that were probably never factored in back at the shop and these same teams have decades on the salt and probably weren't surprised that stuff was going to happen.

For us this test and tune saved days at SW where it can take a long time to put in the 5 runs that we did here.  After the 3rd under 150 Sparky ran a 195+ 4th run and then was on a 250 run were he ran 225+.  Something was off on the gear/speed/rpm chart he was using that resulted in the under 250 (not my chart  8-) ).

He put out both chutes to test them and one of the pilots didn't come out quite right so this will give him a chance to talk to Stroud before Speed Week and he tried the brakes hard to see how they would work and they had a momentary problem that put te car sideways but he recovered.  Before SW he might change his master cylinder/wheel cylinder combo.  Again all of this is stuff that is now out of the way and hopefully SW will be more productive.

Hopefully your car will work perfect out of the box but don't be down if it doesn't as that is more normal and the reason for the required runs,

Sum

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Very cool! Thank you Sum!

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
Just got home and was glad to see my sweet wife.  I'm blessed that she puts up with my salt addiction.
I feel things went very well.  Got to see some great vehicles run for the first time and almost shed a tear
when the Turbinator left the start line.  I have met some truly wonderful people through the years.  Freud
you are a gem,  thanks for the kind words.
More updates after I get some sleep.