Author Topic: July 2014 Test and Tune  (Read 108986 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: July 2014 Test and Tune
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
Jim, come back where you started and we will show you humidity!! :-P
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »
Current weather conditions in Salt Lake City are, 93 degrees and 15% humidity, 3 to 4 mph breeze.
Will get hotter over the weekend.
Gary Wilkinson and I will be going out to the salt on Friday the 4th. We need to make sure the
generators will start, the wire winders are ready and check the line sprayer. We will post photos
when we get there.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Our trip yesterday was a success.  We were able to get all of the fossil fuel gizmos running.  We surgically repaired the timing  trailer that had been violated by the vandals.  Delivered the fire extinguishers, and tested the line spraying equipment along with some new possible black line chemistry.
The track conditions are good, the salt is drying nicely and we will have a nice course for the event.  The photos show in order,
the start line, the two mile, three mile and then a shot of the area for speedweek numbers three and four.
I didn't get this posted last night because I got home at 11:00 pm and was just too tired
Anyway,  here they are.  I will post additional photos later.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the update and all of the work you guys are doing to make this happen. 

Ruth and I are going to be there getting in Sparky's way :-D,

Sum

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »
Thanks Monte, Gary, the powers that be,and the rest of the USFRA, the Salt looks great! Just in case anyone was wondering what was on the menu this year, we're bringing a dozen pints of USFRA labeled olives, Dozen sticks of Margharita pepperoni, and a dozen pickled eggs to be eaten upwind of Slim. Looking forward to seeing everybody soon, sorry that Wayno will not be there, I was hoping he would be able to convert me from Moto Guzzi's to Flatheads.
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
Oh, I'll be there alright, Tom. In lieu of running look for me as Roving Patrol.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
This is really great! I am not able to make Speed Week this year,(Oldest son getting married on Aug 9! Some how my wife thinks I need to be there!) anyway I am planning to make the test and tune just to be able to see some of the cars I will miss. Thanks again!!!! See  you in a week!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Texican

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
  Jim, come back where you started and we will show you humidity!!

Thanks, Fred;
  I've had my share of heat and humidity both.
When I got discharged from USAF at Big Spring in July, '56, I drove home to Seattle in a '33 Ford 5 window.
Warm was an understatement.

Jim

Offline Wester

« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
What Monte didn't say in his post is that there was a horrific accident on I-80 that was the lead story on the 10:00 news last night.  Someone turned around on the freeway and headed back the way he had come from ... in the wrong direction.  Three deaths and after the 80 mph head on and you can imagine the result.  The traffic back up was reported at five miles or more.  They didn't get home until LATE!

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »
Here is the proposed layout for the Test-n-Tune.  Keep in mind as always, this is subject to
change.  It will give you a pretty good idea of the plan.
I should probably mention here, that anyone coming to the Test-Tune as a rookie driver and also
planning on attending Speedweek, will need to attend the rookie orientation at Speedweek.  This
is because the layout is so different.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:58:57 PM by USFRAMONTE »

Offline Freud

« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »
Thanks Monte and crew. It is appreciated.

Target 550

FREUD
Since '63

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »
Gary has been in contact with Roxanne from the BLM and has come up with some possible solutions to replacing the black line.           
Here is a photo of the two samples he sprayed out.  The test is to see how long it lasts and what happens as it dissipates.
This year we will still be using the blue dye.  Gary modified the sprayer to make the line 8" wide.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
They all look good but there is very high contrast with line #2.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Texican

« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
Hi, All:

We just got off the phone with the Manager at Wendover Subway.
They will open at 06:00 hrs and close at Midnight for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Speed week, they will be open 24/7.

ENJOY!

Jim

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »
Ruth and I got to Wendover an hour or so ago (6:30).  Lots of rain between Price and Spanish Fork south of SLC.  Light rain out by Tooele on I80 but no rain much past there.  High winds.  Went out to roads end and they said it hadn't rained there recently.  Didn't go out to the pits but you can see them from there.

Really disappointed in how far out the mud now extends past roads end.  They did put the salt down a ways out but still from the end of it to what looks like real salt is a ways.  The salt is going or else over the winter the wind and water has moved it, but never saw it looking like it does at roads end.  :cry:

We will be here through Sunday and leave Monday (have a doctor appointment in Provo Monday),

Sum