Author Topic: July 2014 Test and Tune  (Read 108834 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

July 2014 Test and Tune
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
The USFRA is announcing a new event for 2014. July 11th thru 13th of this year we will be hosting a "Test and Tune" get together on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  The track layout will be a 3 mile run with a 132' trap at the end of the third mile.  This will be a bare bones
type of meet.  There will be no record certifications, no licensing passes, no impound, no food vendors, no fuel truck.  There will be,
ambulance, fire truck, tech inspection and Honey Bucket. This is ment for LSR vehicles only, we are not inviting 130-150 vehicles. We are putting this together for those that want to be better prepared for the upcoming regularly scheduled meets.
The entry fee is yet to be determined as it will depend on the number of participants.  We will need to have commitments from those interested in coming by April 1st.
We are excited to offer this opportunity to those that can take advantage of it.  More information will be made available in the next few months. We look forward to a great year of racing.
 P.S.  The pumping is scheduled to start in the next couple of days.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: July 2014 Test and Tune
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:43:01 AM »
Monte, that sounds like good news.  Not only will some racers have a chance to run their vehicles on the salt before an event, but also the BLM will view it (I hope) as a further commitment by the racers to use the salt, and that will, we'd hope, translate into them being more interested than ever when we offer suggestions or make requests.  It sounds like a good for everyone deal.  Thanks. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
For those who were not around or don't remember, this July T&T was how the USFRA first began. The BLM requested more usage so the group was founded and the fun began. If I recall the T&T was cancelled following the establishment of World of Speed. The salt was often under water in early July and the entry fell off.

I wish the USFRA every success with this meet, good for all involved.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
Dan is correct. In the early years....1976 and later....there were 8 one day meets.  Then it changed to a July and September meet but more often than not the salt in July was still too wet.
The mining company prior to Intrepid, the name escapes me now, would pump until late April or early May.  That left the water on the
salt much later into the season.  Now they pump the same amount of salt but in a shorter time period which allows more time for the
surface to dry.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I did my license runs at one of the USFRA July meets and got lost

on my way back to the pits. It was VERY hot.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
I did my license runs at one of the USFRA July meets and got lost

on my way back to the pits. It was VERY hot.

FREUD

I guess you couldn't use the 'age card' then so had to use 'heat stroke'  as an excuse  :-D :-).

Good luck with the event and something we will keep in mind.  Any ball park idea of the entry fee at this time?

Sum
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:02:21 PM by Sumner »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
I have to do some serious noodle-scratching to see if there's a way I can make it in July annnnnnnd August.

:-D

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
If you can swing it Steve, I'm sure I can find a place to put ya up here in Western CO!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
Betcha the rooms are cheaper.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:51:37 AM »
Awesome! I may even see if I can swing it. New job will dictate a lot this year.

Offline POPS

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
7800 A/BFS will do our best to be there.
POPS

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »
Ditto for "ms LIBERTY" 2211
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:36:30 AM »
It will probably be the first shake down runs for the Treit and Davenport Target 500 'liner.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
If you can swing it Steve, I'm sure I can find a place to put ya up here in Western CO!

Thank you.  My limiting factors include my available vacation time, which is probably more important than money.  My sister also live just West of Denver, and I could sleep in a tent near Wendover.  It's the 2 days of travel time (each way), and the availability of "ride along" crew members that is the biggest limitation.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
Is the Test and Tune on your website?   :?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!