Author Topic: Trans help  (Read 3342 times)

Offline SRT10Venomous

• New folks
Trans help
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »
Need some help on a trans.

Standing mile project
Project is a srt10 ram 4800 lbs
Hp 2000/2500 rwhp goal
Twin turbo
4 linked
Slammed
Cnotched etc...

Truck will be raced once a year maybe 2x.  All other use will be on reduced boost and on the street. Weekend warrior a few times per year.  

Problem is finding a trans to handle the weight and power,

So looking for a do it all trans not just an up shift or a plane automatic. It needs to have some fun aspect to it of slamming the gears if at all possible.

Anyone have any ideas that might work in this application.  Looking for a 5 or 6 speed preferred and running 200/230mph in high gear.  

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:31:42 PM by SRT10Venomous »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Trans help
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
Are you planning on swapping rear end gears or is your plan for a double overdrive tranny?  Not too many LSR cars do street duty very well. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »
With those kind of HP goals and running on pavement there aren't many choices at all as far as a transmission you are going to want to use on the street.

The closest I know of is the G-Force 5 speed....

https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gf5r.asp

rated to about 1500 on pavement I believe.  The 4 speed 101A that Hooley uses and that I also bought for the lakester is rated about 1000 on pavement.  Lots of drag guys now use both of these.

We use the "H" pattern shifter on the Stude and that would probably be the best bet for the street.  I bought the Vertical Gate for the lakester as it will be easier to use with the driver in front of the engine/trans or with an air shifter of some sort but you need to pull a lever to raise the shifter to get it into 1st.  Then it is just back and forth.  They have one for the 5 speed.  I would of liked to of bought the 5 speed but it was just too expensive.  I got the 4 speed at a pretty good deal as they sell them from time to time on e-bay.  It was supposed to be refurbished but I can't find anything on it that looks used and they put in all the gear ratios I wanted along with the V-gate shifter.  Good people to work with.

This transmission still isn't going to be as street friendly as what you would find in a Vette or Viper but those probably won't live with 2000 HP either.

Call G-Force North and talk to them about their other transmissions.,

Sum

Offline SRT10Venomous

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:44 PM »
Are you planning on swapping rear end gears or is your plan for a double overdrive tranny?  Not too many LSR cars do street duty very well. 

Gears are 3.07 in the rear 29.5 inch tire , planning on a .8 or .9 or so final gear in the trans be it a 5 or 6 speed

Don't need to do 400mph lol. Just a hair over 200 would be sufficient . That's why we're looking for a 5 or 6 speed cause it would keep it street able as well.

And on the trans just looking for the best option to fit the bill.

Offline SRT10Venomous

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
Have a Gforce 6 speed dog box in the crate. But they say it will grenade with the power we want to put to it. So that's on hold for now.  It's 1-4 no synchro 5/6 synchro, straight cut gears.

With those kind of HP goals and running on pavement there aren't many choices at all as far as a transmission you are going to want to use on the street.

The closest I know of is the G-Force 5 speed....

https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gf5r.asp

rated to about 1500 on pavement I believe.  The 4 speed 101A that Hooley uses and that I also bought for the lakester is rated about 1000 on pavement.  Lots of drag guys now use both of these.

We use the "H" pattern shifter on the Stude and that would probably be the best bet for the street.  I bought the Vertical Gate for the lakester as it will be easier to use with the driver in front of the engine/trans or with an air shifter of some sort but you need to pull a lever to raise the shifter to get it into 1st.  Then it is just back and forth.  They have one for the 5 speed.  I would of liked to of bought the 5 speed but it was just too expensive.  I got the 4 speed at a pretty good deal as they sell them from time to time on e-bay.  It was supposed to be refurbished but I can't find anything on it that looks used and they put in all the gear ratios I wanted along with the V-gate shifter.  Good people to work with.

This transmission still isn't going to be as street friendly as what you would find in a Vette or Viper but those probably won't live with 2000 HP either.

Call G-Force North and talk to them about their other transmissions.,

Sum

Offline SRT10Venomous

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »
And on the street it will be tuned down probably under 1k hp.

So what I'm trying to avoid is a street trans and race trans. If not I may have to just go with a liberty up shift only type drag trans. But it would be a pain in the butt changing the trans all the time.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »
Plugging your data (3.07:1 & 29.5") in Sum's "Speed in Gears" spreadsheet, looks like ~7000rpm for 200mph with 1.00 trans output, ~6300 with .900 and ~5600 with .800.

How high can that V10 safely rev?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »
How far do you plan driving on the street in a year?

A Lenco CS1 will handle what you want to do, they are rated around 3000 HP. Heck a CS2 might work as well, just don't know how much shifting you want to do while driving on the street. Call Matt at Lenco and talk to him.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
And on the street it will be tuned down probably under 1k hp.

So what I'm trying to avoid is a street trans and race trans. If not I may have to just go with a liberty up shift only type drag trans. But it would be a pain in the butt changing the trans all the time.

Hey, it's only once or twice a year...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SRT10Venomous

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
Plugging your data (3.07:1 & 29.5") in Sum's "Speed in Gears" spreadsheet, looks like ~7000rpm for 200mph with 1.00 trans output, ~6300 with .900 and ~5600 with .800.

How high can that V10 safely rev?

Mike

We are safe to 7500 on this build but will stop 500 short of max rpm to keep it a lil safer.  Stock it redlined at 6500

I want a bit of extra gear up top as well maybe up to 230 max kinda thing.

Offline SRT10Venomous

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
How far do you plan driving on the street in a year?

A Lenco CS1 will handle what you want to do, they are rated around 3000 HP. Heck a CS2 might work as well, just don't know how much shifting you want to do while driving on the street. Call Matt at Lenco and talk to him.

Tom G.

Street maybe 1500miles a year.

Will call mat in the am and see what he has to offer.