Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85288 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2017, 12:41:30 AM »
It is a little ugly. The picture shows the wrong side of the tooth. A quick magnaflux would be useful before a guy made a decision to try saving it.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
Maybe at the very least I can use it to learn just how the best way to modify the housing or pinion to set one up when I find a good one.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
That's a big chunk there Sparky, a little beyond a clean up for a race gear in my opinion. It must have bitten down on a piece of bearing cage or something.
  Sid.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
Sparky, with that one you would have to rename Mz Liberty - Mz Snaggletooth!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
ROTFLMAO!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
Sum,

Not trying to derail your thead, but has anyone ever thought about having a lower numerical gear for the 9" Ford made? Or is a 2.47 the lowest numerical that can be made?

Tom G.

I guess someone somewhere made taller gears for the Ford 9 inch but I could never find any for sale.  I heard they had some for NASCAR at one time but no idea on the ratio and there again I did a lot of calling and never found any.  One guy was advertising them 4-5 years back but when I called he said the ratio in the add was a mistake.

I have a feeling having them made would require a number of sets and be quite expensive.  I'd think having spools made for this GM 8 3/4 in some kind of quantity would be a lot less expensive.  I talked to Steve today and the one he has made is setup for 35 spline axles.  So with those axles and ford tubes of the proper length and the spool you would be ready to go.

Bob I can't see the advantage of the smaller Ford since the 2.47 gears are available for the 9 inch (what we have been using).

So far I guess no one wants to add their name to the list of "I'd like a spool maybe" so I guess a quantity deal isn't going to happen.  Possibly since Steve has a prototype he would be willing to either make more or for a development fee let some manufacture takes his and duplicate it?  He told me that he would work with us, but not sure if he really wants to go into production or not?  Steve??

Sum

Mike @ MF Performance made several sets of a 28 spline ford 9" 2.30 gear sets out of 9310. I think he wants about 4K for a ring and pinion set. His # is 715-462-3817

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »
We are not there yet but I have 2.28  10-12 which isCaddy 8 7/8 and 2.14 with 28" splines I was If I speed that much I want to go with so 2.00s for a 12 bolt or 1.50 Industrial gears

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
    Our Winters Xtremeliner has a 2.00 R&P.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
We started taking the Ford 8.8 apart and comparing it to a bunch of GM stuff I had ---the ring gear bolt pattern is the same as the old GM 8.5 10 bolt---the ring gear and pinion are very similar to the old Caddy 10-12 which had the same 12 ring gear bolts and 8 7/8 diameter  as the  Chevy 12 bolt ---it has the same pinion splines as the caddy. My next research is to see if I can interchange the carriers between the Caddy and the Chevy.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
That's the way Sparky, think like a hot rodder. :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline jjolly

« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2017, 05:20:59 PM »
So..I haven't read each and every post in this thread and apologies if I am late to the game but, is someone in need of an 8.8  2.47 ford gear set? I have one and I am certain I wont be needing it.  I will give it a very close look take some pics and magna flux if necessary. Let me know!
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?