Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85604 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
Sorry Sum I don't spend much time on a full size computer and I've jjust spent half an hour trying to find the relevant bits on my fartsmone.......go to page 165 of Australian Bellytank,halfway down the page are some pics.....I got some hollow bar turned down and we just used some massive all-thread to pull it into the axle tubes from the pumpkin. That suited us because our rear end is narrowly supported and doing that pur a lot more metal in there.

Trust me those plug welds are harder than goatskneesium, it's due to the weld alloying with some nickel or something, don't point any expensive tools at them,blow them out,ask Sparky, he'll confirm that.

Thanks for all of that, now get back to work on your car so you can go racing  :cheers:,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
And um, the fasteners in the ring gear are left hand thread,aren't they Colonel..........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
And um, the fasteners in the ring gear are left hand thread,aren't they Colonel..........

Damn, no wonder they seem so tight  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
Maybe it would be easier and better to design and build a rear end from scratch for LSR. Has anyone tried?
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
Sum,

I'm not sure John k is up to getting that rear end yet! I'll be down in 2-1/2 weeks, and if Hooley doesn't have it yet, I'll get it delivered to him.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline desotoman

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:50 PM »
George Parker built one. That is what I have in my Modified Roadster. I don't think he sold very many. He ran one in his Streamliner, so it is out there somewhere. There is the one in my modified, and Doug Robinson had bought one, which he never used. They were a Quick Change unit with either a 1.5-1 or 1-1 Ring and pinion. I really wish there was room for a 2-1 Ring and Pinion but so far I have not been able to locate any that will fit.

The other one that has been built is the Winters Extremeliner that is available with a 2-1 Ring and pinion. It takes different Quick Change gears than the standard 10 spline.

It would be interesting to ask Winters if they could put the 2-1 Ring and pinion in their Banjo Style full size rearend.

Strasburgs (sp) make a LSR quickchange, but I don't know anything about it.

I am sure there are others but these are a few.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:33 PM »
Maybe it would be easier and better to design and build a rear end from scratch for LSR. Has anyone tried?

Actually Tom Burkland and Hub City did something like that I think.  Tom has 1:1 Hub City drives in the liner.  The gear box is centered pinion with very large timkins, large shafts, and is a very heavy duty piece.  They are not cheap
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2014, 11:28:44 PM »
George Parker built one. That is what I have in my Modified Roadster. I don't think he sold very many. He ran one in his Streamliner, so it is out there somewhere. There is the one in my modified, and Doug Robinson had bought one, which he never used. They were a Quick Change unit with either a 1.5-1 or 1-1 Ring and pinion. I really wish there was room for a 2-1 Ring and Pinion but so far I have not been able to locate any that will fit.

I am  not sure but I think the unit Doug had went with George's liner when Doug sold it.

George Parker also built a transmission that is a thing of beauty with Hewland internals. I don't know how many he built, the one I have is from his VOT he was working on before he passed away.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »
   We put an Xtremeliner in the Salt Cat ll lakester last year. About $5000 by the time you get it done and have the brakes on it. We opted for the 2:0 r&p in it. The change gears are about 1 1/2 times thicker than the regular gears. You do need to give them a couple of months lead time if you order one.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline desotoman

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »
Doug,

How many splines are on the Quickchange gears for the Extremeliner, and what are the measurements of the splines? How thick are they? Sorry, but I cannot find that information on Winters site.

Thanks for any help,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »
   Tom,
   We had the same problem. Their site doesn't have much info about the Xtremeliner. I 'll have to go to the shop and get that info. I would put some pictures on here but I am working on a laptop and my regular computer and my photo drive are in the nursing home getting upgraded.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »
Dick Holt made a number of quick changes and used Arrow Precision gears with R&P ratios in the 1:1 and 2:1 range. Don't know what he used for change gears but if I see him at Jack's this week I will ask. They were pretty tough and I think he said that he sold the design to the B&J tranny folks.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
Any images of a 1:1 ring/pinion set to share with the unwashed? :-)
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
The Extremeliner uses 22 spline gears. They were made like that to stop the splitting up through the square spline on the really small gears like the 2:18 set in the picture next to a set of 22 spline gears. The Extremeliner and the Champ rears have the same center line between the Pinion and the lower shaft and the gear sets are the same width. The rear cover has huge bearings, an upgrade from the Champ rear.
Hope this helps.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
Pictures missing...sorry
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com