Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85684 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »
That's a bunch.  But might deliver more than an expensive quick change using more gears to get the same ratio.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 37str

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 05:51:23 PM »

Speed Demon runs a quick change

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »
I think the demon has run a quick change, a custom weisman, but I don't know about a 9".
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
I was advised to stop looking for the obscure Ford 9" ratios. Good advice but I'm bull headed.

I've been looking at a Winters Xtremeliner and it's more affordable that those ratios from MF.

I was at the classic car club yesterday and a friend Hamish said there was a gear cutting business he used that did hypoid gears for him.

Even though we're in South Africa we do have some very good engineering facilities and guys that know their stuff.

I'm going to see the gear cutter on Monday. Hamish's day job is all things Rolls Royce and I've seen jet engines at his place so the guy does have high standards.
If he says the guy cuts good gears there might be an affordable solution there and one offs are not a problem. He said the guy ran the set he had made on a jig to bed the gears in.
Not sure of the exact term.

I'll let you know if Hamish was on the money or he had a few too many ales. :-D

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »
get a 12 bolt gm 2.29 gear

call strange engineering..

get their drop out 9" ford center section that takes a 12 bolt gear..

there you go, a high pinion 12 bolt, with a high ratio gear in a 9" ford

bob

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »
get a 12 bolt gm 2.29 gear

call strange engineering..

get their drop out 9" ford center section that takes a 12 bolt gear..

there you go, a high pinion 12 bolt, with a high ratio gear in a 9" ford

bob

That is what Tom has been telling us also.  It is on the table.  The hard part so far has been trying to locate the 12 bolt 2.29 gear itself?

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
  I may have misunderstood Mike about the Speed Demon.  He may have told me that The Speed Demon guys were running one in the Blowfish, or maybe they modified the quick change to use the gears........................
  My mind sometimes goes into overdrive with only a underdrive capacity.........................  one run, out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:05:58 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
maybe something like this would work.. fits 9" fords

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
  That is a Jones quickchange and I think Russ Meeks runs one.  The Tea Baron bought one from a friend of mine here in Vancouver and then he listed it for sale on this site about two years ago.  I don't know if he sold it or not................. Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »

Thanks for the pictures.  Tom told me about those and before that I've spent many a night laying in bed designing one I could make using quick change gears.  One problem I see is that to get the rotation right going into the rear you need to have two sets of gears vs. one set in a conventional quickchange and that means more HP loses and also the gears are a lot harder to change, but at least you could change them vs. just one gear in the rearend.

The guys that run the long nose yellow stude out of Wash. made an inline box that I think had a driveshaft on both sides that did about the same.  It was a nice one-off piece of engineering that with the driveshafts would work with any trans/rearend combo if you had the room,

Sum

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »
At one time I thought about making a gear changing unit like the Jones's but using a belt instead and having the drive shaft off to the side. I think it would be good for 1000 HP. on the salt.

Tom G.

PS. Thanks Bob D. for the phone number for the 2.30 gears. I think the SD streamliner ran a 9 inch ford unit once, after they blew everything else they had up. At least that is what I remember I think Ray the Rat posted that information one time. I also think it only lasted one run.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
Has anybody found 10 bolt 2.29's and 2.14's to be not strong enough . A Casale V-drive would work the same as the Jones QC . It takes a bunch of grinding and welding up windows in a Strange dropout to get 2 series 12 bolt gears to fit .

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 01:18:15 AM »
Has anybody found 10 bolt 2.29's and 2.14's to be not strong enough . ...

I'm assuming you mean the 7.5 rear.  That is what I'm now using and has worked for Sparky with 900+ HP in the past.  He will also be the tester for much higher HP numbers now that he has 2 turbos. 

I'm leery of that route with Hooley's 5000+ lb. Stude and hopefully some 1400+ HP numbers at some point.  I've found 26 spline full spools for the 7.5 but that is it so far as an over the counter item (probably some 28's out there).  Sparky runs a Torsen center and that is what I'm going to run and it is 28 splines.  There again 28 splines in the 1200+ HP heavy car might not work.  Thus the reason I still haven't given up finding a reasonable, read not super expensive solution using the 8.75 with the 2.28 gears that aren't that hard to find for Hooley's car,

Sum

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
... I think the demon has run a quick change, a custom weisman, but I don't know about a 9"...
If I remember right, the Weisman is a unique configuration, not using Ford 9" nor any other ring and pinion design. It eliminates the inefficiency of hypoid gears by driving first through a bevel gearset (non-offset), then through spur gears (including a quickchange set) to the differential case (or maybe directly to the axles, can't remember).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:23:56 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »
The problem with the Jones and other "front" quickchange boxes is that you're still spinning the differential's pinion fast. This may or may not be a problem. This anecdote about Mickey Thompson comes to mind: when planning his assault on Cobb's record (408?), the first pieces he "whittled out" were the 1:2 ratio spur gear sets to be employed at each wheel- to avoid pinion shafts needing to spin 13,000 RPM!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020