Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85606 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »
marker
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mike f

« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
Hi to all LSR people.  I would like to inform all racers that I have just 4 sets of new 2:30 Ford 9" gears left.  Once they are gone no more will be made, at least not by me.  If people have any questions about them feel free to call me.  I can be reached at 715-558-2421 , leave a message if I don't pick up and I'll call back.  Thanks Mike

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »
Ted,  We would like to get up to date on this 8.5 2.26 gears to 8.8 carrier marriage!!

Sum and I have several questions.

We would like to run the 3" 8.8 axle tubes so we can get   to run the Eaton TrackLoc--I read what you have to do to the Pinion shaft to get a "good pattern on the ring gear & pinion we will have to put 9" outers on the housing to get rid of the c-clips---what are we missing  we love coaching.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:55:29 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
 :-D Good news guys!  Just got off the phone with Eaton's TrueTrac tech service guy.

Eaton makes a one size--- fits all ratios--- carrier available for 28 31 or 33 splines--the 33 splines unit was made for High HP applications like Pro Touring---it is a more robust unit specifically for aggressive applications like tight road course tracks with high horsepower .  Did not check on pricing.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Ted by phone---he may be on a walkabout  thanks

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
Talked to a seemingly very knowledgeable salvage yard guy and according to his books our best bet is a 79 Full size Ford LTD or Mercury Grand Marquis with a G in the door jam "code plate" does not appear to be eng specific according to him
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:47:26 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
Code: WGY-D   
Lincoln Mark Series 80-81
Ford Pass. 79-81
Lincoln & Town Car 80-81
Mercury 79-81   
2.26   8.5   NL   28
   -
Code: WGY-F   
Ford Pass., Mercury 81   
2.26   8.5   L   28   

8.5 with 2.26 gears from here down the page a ways...

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford09.htm

Sumner
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:08:59 PM by Sumner »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Thanks Sum. A little confusing about which housing they fit. I presume the 8.5, 9 and 9 3/8 all fit the "9" housing and are basically called 9"?  I know the 9" and 9 3/8 fit. Guess I never heard of 8.5 and some of the other RG diameters. I know my 65, 69 and 69 1/2 Boss Mustangs all had what I would call a 9".

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
Thanks Sum. A little confusing about which housing they fit. I presume the 8.5, 9 and 9 3/8 all fit the "9" housing and are basically called 9"?  I know the 9" and 9 3/8 fit. Guess I never heard of 8.5 and some of the other RG diameters. I know my 65, 69 and 69 1/2 Boss Mustangs all had what I would call a 9".

Ron

They fit the 8.8 but you have to work over the pinion to get it to the proper depth for the ring gear.  I got a set of the gears but we haven't done the works but Ted has.  Here is a review of posts earlier in the thread some time back...

=======================================================

Hi All, We run a 8.8 in our RMR with the 8.5 gears. They do fit but not out of the box. I use the 2.47 ratio but had a problem setting them up. I ended up with no pinion shims and it still needed to move out. I set it up in the lathe and ground for a little more shim room. Worked great. You also need to play with the yoke as the 8.5 spline is different. I got the 8.5 yoke which uses the 1310 ujoint and it was fine. The car has made about 20 trips in the 240-250 range with no problems.

We used the pickup 8.8 housing as it has the heavier 3" tubes. We put 9" bearing ends on it with new 31 spline axles and a mini spool. I've used this set up in the Street Roadster and will be running it in the RMR this year trying for 300 with a turbo engine. The 2.26 gears are out there and are cheap. IWE rear ends only in BC have them in stock.

Cheers …. Ted Allan

Great, and thanks for posting that.  One question, just to make sure.....you used the carrier out of the 8.8 and the 8.5 ring gear fits on it?

Are you going to change to the taller gears for the 300 attempt?  If so could you take some pictures of the change to the rear-end and post them?

Thanks and good luck on the 300 mph run, ….Sumner

Sum, I used the 8.8 carrier and yes the ring gear fits right on. For our 300 attempt we're going to run the 2.47 gears with the 28" Goodyears we are running now.  We couldn't get to the final drive we wanted so I talked to Mike Strausberg at B&J, they now make a overdrive unit for their Big Boy trans. We will be using a 1.50/direct single section with the od. It gives us 4 gears, 1.50, 1.20, 1.00, and .80. What's slick is they have lots of gear ratios for the trans and muliple ratios for the od, they are both air shifted which makes it nice for us guys that have the trans behind us.

ted

Sum, I also am a little confused as  the 8.8 has a 2.47 that came in 83-86 F-100;F-150 and Bronco.  I have one sitting on the shelf.  Maybe that's all he could find.     Bob

Sorry Bob, I should have read the rest of the post. As far as I could find, the highest ratio available for the 8.8 was 2.73. I did have a set of the 2.26 but they were too high for us with the 28" tire so we went for the 2.47 with the set up we were running in B/GRMR with a BBC. With the new turbo set up and a little lower rpm, we found that being able to keep the wheels/tires and gear combo we already had and spend the extra money for a bulletproof trans was a better way to go.

ted

Hope that helps,

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »
I W E has a 2.47 8.5 set left

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2017, 11:52:16 PM »
S.I.D also has a set of 2.47's.
  Sid :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
Talked to Ted last night and was really fired up because I had found a set of gears---we they go them pulled this morning and just called me the pinion is chipped---how in the world can something that big get chipped? We back to the phones and internet maybe I can still find one.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
I've run plenty of chipped gears in cars over the years Sparky. If it's not too bad & not cracked just clean it up with a die grinder stone & run it.
  Sid.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
I'd sure be tempted to try it as long as the chip isn't where the wear pattern falls. Just clean it up so there aren't any stress risers.

Pete.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:25 PM »
 :?