Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85659 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 01:22:45 AM »
  Sum, I was looking at it from the standpoint of H.P. loss.  I don't know if the 8.8 (which must be set up in the axle housing ala 10 or 12 bolts) is more efficient, but it might be worth looking into especially for some of the moderate H.P. vehicles. 
  I think the limiting factor on a 9" might be fitting a larger pinion in the pumkin.  The pinion gear on the 2.47 is pretty darn big and the ring gear is pretty darn thin.
                                                                                                                                                            Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
I was talking to Rick MacCambridge who runs a D fuel lakester, The Pickle, and has a 9 inch Ford with the 2.47 ratio and he said that someone has had a special patch of R&Ps made for the 9 inch with a 2.30 ratio. Says they are expensive but has one on order. Also that ratio was apparently available in some Lincolns and there was a golf cart manufacture that used the 9 inch (wonder why???) and they both used a 2.3 gear. I will try to find out who it is that has these.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »
I was talking to Rick MacCambridge who runs a D fuel lakester, The Pickle, and has a 9 inch Ford with the 2.47 ratio and he said that someone has had a special patch of R&Ps made for the 9 inch with a 2.30 ratio. Says they are expensive but has one on order. Also that ratio was apparently available in some Lincolns and there was a golf cart manufacture that used the 9 inch (wonder why???) and they both used a 2.3 gear. I will try to find out who it is that has these.

Rex

Rex,

That would be much appreciated as I would be interested in a set of those if available.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Any news on that 2.3:1 ratio yet?.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
FWIW   Several years ago when I was chasing gears, I talked to someone that said Ford made, around 2.30. gears. I called around to several places and talked to a race parts distributing company. The guy I talked to looked it up in an old "Ford Motorsports", or whatever they called it then, parts book and the 2.30's were listed by part number. He said he had been around race cars and parts for years and had never seen  a set. Maybe there is a set or two lying around on some dusty shelf.
 My guess, and that's all it is, is Ford was planning for faster speeds on the super speedways, then NASCAR went to smaller motors, more rpm, more gear not needed.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
FWIW   Several years ago when I was chasing gears, I talked to someone that said Ford made, around 2.30. gears. I called around to several places and talked to a race parts distributing company. The guy I talked to looked it up in an old "Ford Motorsports", or whatever they called it then, parts book and the 2.30's were listed by part number. He said he had been around race cars and parts for years and had never seen  a set. Maybe there is a set or two lying around on some dusty shelf.
 My guess, and that's all it is, is Ford was planning for faster speeds on the super speedways, then NASCAR went to smaller motors, more rpm, more gear not needed.

Ron

Yep, I spent hours on the internet and phone trying to run down those 'phantom' gears.  There probably are a set out there someplace, but where?

The 2.28 8 3/4 gears,that should be plenty strong for the majority of us needing taller gears, are out there and  not that hard to find relatively.  Just need a spool for them.  Looks like from this thread though that there is no real interest or maybe need for them or the others that might need them aren't on this site.

We are set for next summer with our current gears but are not done researching this for an answer that will work and is economical,

Sum
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:43:09 PM by Sumner »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
Jegs has a mini spool available for that rear end for $100.
Isn't the main reason for a spool, lighter rotating weight, for throttle response, as in circle track racing ( whatever that is )? Lighter doesn't bother us as much. My 32" Dunlops on 18" Hoppy's wheels weight 74 lbs each, so a little less rear end mass wouldn't be much help.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
The spool is an absolute locker as the differential gears are totally eliminated. Both drive wheels always rotate at the same rate. It either works or it doesn't on the salt.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
"It either works or it doesn't on the salt."

And we're sure of that!! :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »
"It either works or it doesn't on the salt."

And we're sure of that!! :-D :-D

And if it doesn't you'll probably be facing from whence you came!!!

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
A mini spool is a cheap fix to get both wheels locked together but it still transfers the power through the spider gear shaft from the carrier & thats a weak point. A full spool is a carrier with splines so it eliminates that problem. Some people like a spool on the salt & some don't.
Once you get into the high ratio gears, pretty much a 2.anything really, the pinion is sneaking up on half the size of the ring gear so it's gunna be a big muther & the plus with that is lots of tooth contact/strength. The 9" has the pinion support bearing that most dont which would likely be a small power loss but look at a quickchange. It's got all that plus a lower shaft, plus spur gears & another cuppla bearings in the cover. Talk about a HP suckin bitch & then you have to overdrive the pinion to get some speed out of the 4.11's. Any advantage from it not being a Hypoid has long gone before it gets there.
The biggest gear you can run without going to OD puts you HP ahead.
  Sid.

ps Both gear sets we had in Betsy went with her.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:33:06 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
If the pins are the problem, Some of the bigger Ford cars (Lincoln ) for sure, came with 4 gear differentials with four pins. There are 9" mini spools for 4 pins available. Think tires would spin before shearing four pins.
A friend broke a 9" spool in his drag car.

Ron

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Jegs has a mini spool available for that rear end for $100...

Thanks, but I don't see one for the 8 3/4??  As was mentioned it isn't as strong as a full spool which is what we want if we go this route,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
Ron, dirt 1/2 circle track is what we do to keep from spending $$$$ on motel rooms in August. Mini spools work perfectly with a floater 6.30 gear, 550 HP, and rear tires 2" different in diameter. :cheers:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
  I just got off of the phone with Mike Feldner of M.F. Performance.  HE IS THE MAN PRODUCING THE 2.30 FORD 9" REAR END GEARS AND HAS THEM IN STOCK.
  That is the good news.
  The bad news is the price ............... $4200. a set.
  The reason is because these gears are manufactured by a grinding process as they can not be made be conventional Hobbs gear cutters.
  He made twelve sets, and the Blowfish and Speed Demon are running them.
  Mike said that he still has SIX sets left.  Bob
                                                                       Mike Feldner (715) 452-3817
Bob Drury