Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85680 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2014, 01:23:34 PM »
  Sum, I kind of got muddled up in expounding my thoughts. 
  What I was trying to say was that I believe the 2.26 gears out of the 8.5 should fit in a later 8.8 Mustang or Explorer housing.
  The bonus of using the Explorer unit is it has 3" axle tubes, 31 spline axles and most come with a traction lock rear.
  It just stands to reason (which means it probably doesn't) that if you can use the 8.8 gears in the 8.5, the reverse should also be true.
  A 2.47 8.8 gear came in 83-86 Ford F100 and F150 pickups and some Broncos of the same years.
  Hey, maybe that's why the cops coulden't catch O.J. .... He was running Bville gears in his white Bronco, ya' think?                  Bob

We need someone to try this as there are some benefits for sure. 

I'm not sure if you can find a Torsen Traction for that combination and I sure want to try that after seeing Sparky's success with one.  They are pretty easy to find for under $150 since they came in some '99--02' Camaro's and Pontiac's.  I feel they offer an advantage on the salt over some of the other Posi type rears as they transfer a certain percentage of the drive to the wheel that is trying to spin to the one that isn't.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

..... They also come in 28 spline which is somewhat better than the 26 spline options usually found in the GM 7.5.  So far the only full spool I've found for the 7.5 is a 26 spline.  With your option it is easy to find fairly cheap full spools for the 8.8 if someone wanted to go that route.

So when are you or someone else going to find the parts and try this 8.5/8.8 combo out?  It might be a better deal for the Stude than the 7.5 and Hooley has time on that yet as he will run the Ford 9 inch probably one more year.  I'd do it but access to old stuff if very limited where I live,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
  If I live through my upcoming visit from Stainless and John Boy, I will pursue this further.                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »
Can't see any reason to use a spool if there is a Torsen option available. The way it functions is reason enough, but safety is an additional benefit as they are less prone to a sudden loss of traction. Those who have to pedal high power cars mightn't see that as an issue though......

For us with hard rear end it seems to work very well but we are under 400hp so traction isn't a problem.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Can't see any reason to use a spool if there is a Torsen option available.....

I agree and it looks like they do make one for the 8.8 with 31 splines (also a 28 spline version)...

http://s300909324.e-shop.info/shop/article_409200-0204P/Ford-8.8%22-31T.html?sessid=zUPGEr19Cxo1ocyh9DWmLVzedQ4AorGMDjVBzlqbi5HF4A1cq8WT1mNAOYqYBUIe&shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D409200-0204P%26

So Bob if you find the time please get back with your results.  If everything fits I see this being a better option than the GM 7.5 if you don't need the 2.14 gears it has available.  I hope to need those gears with the lakester with the smaller tires but with the 28 inch tires on the Stude a 2.26 or 2.28 would work fine for speeds faster than we will probably ever run.

It looks like you will need to run one of the c-clip eliminator options with the 8.8 but that is no big deal to overcome,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
  I great article on different types of differentials can be found at www.4crawler.com/4x4/truetrac.shtml.
  I am currently running a Winters Quickchange with a TrueTrac in it which is similar to the Torsen, and may or may not be stronger than the Torson.
  Although I have spun it once with the TT, it has saved me at least a dozen times when crossed up in low gear (I know, I know,  Ease into it Bob).
  The main problems for me are using too low of a first gear, a direct cable to the barrel valve/throttle blades (tunnel ram w/ Enderle hat ...need a bellcrank), a GOB of torque, and old age.
  The first two will be remedied before I run it again, I am going to fix the third with Nitro (is there any other way?) and as for the forth issue, I am increasing my dosage of 5 hour Energy drink, doubling up on metamusil and tripling the Ciallis (Doctor recommended).        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
  "I am going to fix the third with Nitro (is there any other way?) and as for the forth issue, I am increasing my dosage of 5 hour Energy drink, doubling up on metamusil and tripling the Ciallis (Doctor recommended).        Bob "

Bob, You don't need a LSR car, you will be running 200 mph without one.  :cheers: :cheers:

Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
Yea, 'cept he will trip over his.... :roll: Little Richard
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
Yea, 'cept he will trip over his.... :roll: Little Richard

:-o :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
Maybe try 2nd gear . . . and tell the push truck to turn 90ยบ when he gets off you.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
My Redneck traction control:
pg with 1.76/gv., no torque converter, 2.14 gears with torsen

1st  FDR 3.76
2nd FDR 2.14
3rd  FDR 1.67
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:47:01 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
    What is the tallest gear that is made for a Dana 44?
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline mike f

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
hi Bob: Mike from MF Performance.  Been reading the posts on different diffs being used.  By far the Gleason Torson diff is the best but they cost a lot. I have one for the Ford 9" and most would fall over knowing what it is worth.  I use a lot of the Eaton Tru-Trac and have quite few in LSR cars. I feel the key is setting the break away torque . The way they come they almost act like a spool.  Because of there design the aluminum case units will have wear problems so I use the cast steel units with the 9".  Once the alunm. case wears or gets hot they work like an open diff.  Will be back home next week and will post more on the 2:30 gears and what we do.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
  Mike, welcome aboard.  We all look forward to your input and if you haven't already done so, please give us a little incite on your background and the history of your 2.30 gearset design and manufacturing process.
  You will find us mostly civil in even our disagreements, but no matter what, we are "all ears" when someone with knowledge speaks.
                                                                                                                                               Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
  Just a foot note to my above post: See Mikes Feb. 9th post under Introduce Yourself for a little background info.
  I hope he will relate more about his work with the likes of Roush Racing and other stories he related to me when I first contacted him.  A very interesting history.
   Again, Welcome Mike.                             Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
FYI, if you are running a Ford 9", you can get Torque Biasing Differentials (like a Torsen) in 28, 31, & 35 spline from Wavetrac in Aliso Viejo, Ca.  They make 8620 Billet steel bodies with their own patented pre-load stuff in the middle.  I'm sure a Google search will turn up their phone number if needed.
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***