Author Topic: comp coupe body alterations  (Read 6852 times)

Offline RS34

• New folks
comp coupe body alterations
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:08:20 PM »

hi thank you for previous help in process of building a 65 barracuda comp coupe my question can top of body be modified to get clearnce for tires in rear or does that follow under rule of altered body panels the area is between edge of rear quarter and large rear window area  thank you

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: comp coupe body alterations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:39:49 PM »
I am going to say no, based on my experience.  I interpret the rules as no modifications to the body back of the cowl other than a top chop.  This comes from me, a builder, and I am not an official rules person.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
Not a CC guy but must agree... you cannot modify the outside appearance of the body aft of cowl except chop.... it does not say you cannot modify inner panels.

Show pictures, folks here may come up with some ideas... quite a good group when it comes to LSR...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
I think there used to be a Phrase "somewhere" that said you could radius the side panels to facilitate wheel and tire removal---can't find it in the 2013 book--  :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
5.E.1 Production Coupe & Sedan allows that "wheel openings may be radiused for tire clearance".  Comp Coupe rules say "other than top chopping, no modification to the body is allowed".

Sure would like to see some build photos for this project.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:05 AM »
My Vega which ran in Alt and CC. Set some Alt records. Nobody complained.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
I acutally tracked down new fenders, and had new rear wheels made because I was afraid I'd run into issues. My rear fenders had been cut out to fit some slicks years ago when the poor car was prowling the quarter mile circuits.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline RS34

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
thank you all for your responses

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »
My Vega which ran in Alt and CC. Set some Alt records. Nobody complained.

Sometimes an entry will slip through the process.  Just because nobody complains or the tech person does not catch something, does not make it legal. I have observed rule violations, but since they did not concern me, I kept my mouth shut. Be careful about thinking something is legal because another entry is set up that way 

The best method to find out about a specific rule is to ask a SCTA rules person that has knowledge of the the rule in question.  Then make a hard copy of there ruling for future reference.

One of the frustrating things about lsr is arriving to race, after working many long hours, and finding out that you are not legal.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
Yeah,but. That car was pretty controversial in 1980 when I first ran it. Lots of the XX/Alt guys didn't like it just because it was a lot smaller than a '39 Chevy. But the wheels never came up. I was running against Latin and Gillette at the time and Jim was President of the Association. Jim certified the car when I took his record. Still have it at El Mirage. So i think it was legal and should still be. But you never know.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Yeah,but. That car was pretty controversial in 1980 when I first ran it. Lots of the XX/Alt guys didn't like it just because it was a lot smaller than a '39 Chevy. But the wheels never came up. I was running against Latin and Gillette at the time and Jim was President of the Association. Jim certified the car when I took his record. Still have it at El Mirage. So i think it was legal and should still be. But you never know.

Rich think the difference is that it looks like to me you radiused the wheel openings which according to the rule above seems fine.

If I'm understanding the original post...

..my question can top of body be modified to get clearnce for tires in rear ....

... the area of concern is above the wheel-well area.  Personally not sure what to say about that area, but the safe thing to do is follow John's suggestion and submit what he has in mind with pictures of the area before and maybe a drawing of 'after'.  My guess would be 'no you can't modify the area on top in the body' but that holds no weight anywhere.

I'm wondering why it has to be modified even with a 28 inch tire.  I'm guessing to get the car as low as possible.  Hooley has 28 inch tires on the Stude and it is low.  As you know there isn't much need for much suspension travel so space above the tire can be reduced pretty drastically,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Isn't the difference here CC and Alt... wheel well radius is legal in alt, but not CC.  You can run a car that does not meet all the rules until you set a record, then it matters.  Rich was OK for alt.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:25:02 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
If you look at the Tesinski (ex Burkland) Studebaker, the roof has been modified to allow conforming to current roll cage rules. It is my understanding that this modification has been blessed by the inspection crew. Now if things are changing with the Association it's possible that what was good, no longer is. Of course the only proper action would be to contact Bobby Sykes or Lee Kennedy for a meaningful decision. Also, if i had known when I was building the Vega that I was going to use such large tires, I would have built the frame and cage to allow everything inside. But i didn't.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
Isn't the difference here CC and Alt... wheel well radius is legal in alt, but not CC.  You can run a car that does not meet all the rules until you set a record, the it matters.  Rich was OK for alt. 

We haven't radiused the wheelwells but I thought that...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville-cars-1/125-3-06.jpg

...it had/has been done on CC cars that set records,

Sum