Author Topic: So I opened a dyno shop...  (Read 16506 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: So I opened a dyno shop...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words gents.  SSS, yes, I'm planning on being a paid advertiser at some point.  Let me recover a bit from the initial blow to the bank account from all these start up costs and I'll certainly get in touch with you.  Being an entrepreneur is an exciting new prospect and I'm looking forward to growing this little side project into something bigger... hopefully. 

I have more words than I have time to spend typing regarding my departure as a volunteer.  Perhaps over a frosty adult beverage out on the dirt or on the salt.  I'm a dyed-in-the-wool lifer so there's a chance I'll be back at some point but for now I'm doing my own thing.

Bill, I didn't realize you were a moderator.  I was about to applaud your elite forum hacking skillz but it all makes sense now.  I was pretty sure I put 'sq ft'.  Thanks for fixing it if it was wrong the first time.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »
Nathan, I am so happy for you.

The big tool to properly dialing in an engine is a dyno - owning one takes a lot of pressure off of trying to get it done on a limited time schedule.

I'm jealous.

But more importantly, I want to thank you for your service to all of us who did Rookie O with you last year.  I took the opportunity to go through it without a car in October of 2012, and then again last year at Speedweek.  Your enthusiasm and conscientiousness made our first serious attempts on the salt an experience I will always recall as excellent.  The newbies will be worse for your loss, but your opportunities for the future look exceedingly bright.

On behalf of all of us - THANK YOU!

Sincerely,

Chris Conrad
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:33:00 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
Congrats on the new venture.  If I was closer I would hit you up for some dyno time.  First I heard about you not being out of the rookies..... Hope it is all good and mutual etc.  You did a great job and I am glad I got to be a rookie on your watch

Offline tauruck

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
Good luck Nathan. :cheers:

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
Congratulations and best wishes on your new endeavor. You were practically the first "official" contact in LSR for Roger, Mark and I in 2011 at SW. The three of us were immediately impressed with your presentation to rookies and the way you made us feel part of the LSR community. Every time I got to the front of the line at ELMO and saw that you were one of the starters, it just felt "right". Sorry to see you go. Tim 
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
Nathan,

I wish you the best in your new adventure.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »
Nate I am sure Ms Liberty will be over to visit you for some
"roller derby" time ---to dial in our Data Logging---what a wonderful opportunity your BLI presents to a racer-- who is interested dialing in
their Data logging.  As soon as you get your communications channels
Set up let us know.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
Congratulations and best of luck.

How about the phone and address so we can come visit next time we are out west.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline edinlr

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
Nathan,

To start, thanks for all of your help on the salt.  Your patience with the rookies was greatly appreciated by many of us.  I can't imagine having to focus that much on every detail, hour after hour on those hot days like you did.  I am also concerned about who will help me with my helmet strap, visor, gloves and all the other dumb rookie things I have done on the line.

Best of luck on the new business.  While I am about a zillion miles away, I do have an interest on data acquisition for my bike, so I will probably be in touch down the road. 

As for your insurance, have your broker find the cheapest categories for the type of work you anticipate.  My guess is that the landlord required "X" dollars of liability coverage. Unless you start doing a lot of customer dyno work, it may be cheaper to insure the business for doing efi installation and data acquisition, or anything else that doesn't sound like it could cause a lot of destruction or potential for harm.  That could be less exposure for the carrier and should translate to cheaper rates for you.  Tell them your plans are for $10,000 a year in revenues not $500,000, that will also let them know they have less policy exposure.  In the future the insurance company will ask for your annual financials and use that to help determine your rates.  So start off on a good note by keeping detailed financials.  This will help at tax time too as you can now deduct your expenses and depreciate your equipment.  I am in healthcare and have had to deal with liability and work comp coverage for years and the broker is key to getting your best coverage and rates.

Ed
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Freud

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »
Nathan, a new business does not have to make money for,I believe, seven years.

Keep track of every expense including every mile you drive that is remotely related

to your business.  The better records that you keep the better the business can do you.

Enter the data every day. That way you won't get way behind.

There are programs that can assist you at whatever level of detail with which you can be comfortable.

I developed my own programs for my office including a form to report my State Sales Tax.

It was approved by the State of Washington. A 5 year audit took 50 minutes but was scheduled

by the state to take 3 days.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
Sorry for the late reply and thanks again for all the kind words. Along with a background in engineering I actually do have a bachelors in business admin.  I decided to go to night school while I was riding out the end of my active duty time in the Army and got a business degree.  Might as well put that Montgomery GI Bill to use right?  It's actually been kind of fun to dust of that knowledge and put it to use again.

As for phone and address, just hit me up through PM for now.  I'm working on a web site and dedicated email address.  Will update once those are up.

I've picked up a couple new projects and am looking forward to having them run out on the dirt/salt.  Feel free to contact me with any prospective projects or even just questions.  Thanks again guys!     
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »
  Just a quick aside to would be Chassis Dyno users.  Most of them (Dyno's and Dyno Owners) don't like to see 200 mph on the rollers, so be sure to gear accordingly before things other than your vehicle start smoking.
  Oh, and take it from me, its not a great place to have your Dry Sump Tank split on a pull... my cat litter bill was higher than the Dyno fee.....   
                                                                                :-P :-P :-P
Bob Drury

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
My guys dyno shuts down at 200. We do all our pulls in 4th gear. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
My guys dyno shuts down at 200. We do all our pulls in 4th gear. :-D

Fred....be honest....it was the reverse...... :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)