Author Topic: Scaaty Racing Studebaker  (Read 55898 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Scaaty Racing Studebaker
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
Hi Don

In 68' I built a 350 for a short track stock car and also had Carrillo rods, after each season I would rebuild & mag all the parts and re dyno it for the new year

About 3 months into the 5 th season a rod broke and did it in, so the money guy says what the hell happened

Well you raced it for 4 years, hauling around a 3000 lb car on a 3/8 mile paved track with lots of off & on the gas cycles so I think they got their moneys worth

Even Fred's best rods are not going to last forever

Don

Highly stressed parts have a finite cycle life.    The trick is to retire the parts before they "retire" everything else in the engine . . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline DND

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
45 years ago 900 bucks for a new set of rods was not easy to come by, so once you spent your coin you raced what you had for as long as it would last

All new program these days

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2015, 11:16:37 PM »
That is the plan. Run what ya brung. Have fun go as fast as you can with what ya got.   :cheers:  :-D :-D :-D
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »
   "Run what ya brung, break what ya brought". 
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
as Andy likes to say "We came prepared to break something, records or parts."
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
  Don, nice looking car.
  Having run a 53' Studebaker on the Salt for sixteen years, I recommend you call Bob Stroud and order two complete chutes with 30' tag lines.
  You will find that using smaller chutes and pulling one at a time is a lot easier at the hit and the car will not "get squirmy".  The second chute will not be needed except in a emergency or you start running about 220 or so.
  You need to mount your tag lines higher (about camshaft center line high) or it will jerk the rear wheels up and you will be in for a thrill (trust me on this one).
  I would post a picture of my mount but am too stupid to figure out how.  Suffice to say that moving it up from bumper height to camshaft high has made it a dream compared to before.
  NEVER use your brakes until you are slowed down enough to turn off the course.  You will burn them up and ruin the rotors if you hit them at 200+ mph.
  DO NOT buy a Drag Race Parachute as they do not have a long enough tag line.
  If you buy them from Bob Stroud, make sure to mention that you want the extra large chute packs because once you have drug them across the Salt they seem to "grow" when you try to repack them.  He makes bags slightly deeper for you if you ask.
  Bob is a mechanical Engineer so speak to Him directly before you order.
  You will need to run the car at about 4200 to 5000 lbs (roughly 50/50 front to rear ballast) up to 200 mph, and at least 5,000 lbs above that.
  I run my car at 5.200 lbs currently (238 mph) and I may add a couple hundred more.  Make sure you bring extra weight and have mounts pre installed that are easy to add weight or remove weight as necessary at the track. 
  Every car drives and handles differently so be prepared to add or subtract weight at any time.
  ALL BALLAST SHOULD BE BETWEEN THE FRONT AND REAR AXLES AND MOUNTED AS LOW AS POSSIBLE.
                                                                                                                        Good Luck
                                                                                                                                      "One Run" Bob Drury
                                                                                                                                        Old Stud Racing
                                                                                                                                         # 394  A/CFALT
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
  Two more things I just remembered: Be sure to read the Chute Mounting rules which restrict the size of the Mounting Surface.
                                                        Make Sure you have tarps for both your Pit (required) and one big enough to stretch your chutes out to clean them and repack
                                                        them on.  J.D. posted (I believe) soaking them in a tub of water and hanging them out to dry overnight.  If you do, you better tie
                                                        them to your trailer or they may be in Salt Lake City the next morning.
                                                        One more thing (I know, that's three things), remember on the Salt you steer with the throttle and not the steering wheel.
                                                                                                               One Run, out..................................
Bob Drury

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:16 PM »
Hey Bob thanks for the advise.  I have done my home work on this build. Bob built the chute that I am using. They didn't like it at the Ohio meet because it was designed for Bonneville. It is at cam center line. 
When I ran in Ohio it was at 4700 lbs. It has 51 % to the front.
There are several places to add ballast under the car between the firewall and the rear just forward of the 4 link mounts.  There are still items on the car that could be finished but time is running out.
I hope the get the engine together by the weekend. My 4th of July will be lighting it off and doing so tuning. I have 3 billboard signs about 20x60 for ground cover. We have 2 canopies as well.
                                                    Hope to see you there  Don     It's all fun
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 10:37:31 PM »
Bonneville Speed Week 2016 was a dream come true. The car when through tech with minor hicups. 30 minutes and we were signed off and ready to get in line. I made 6 runs total earning my B license. I then put my friend Jeff Gentry in the car for 2 runs and he got his C. My top speed was 181.8 with a 352 inch SBC. That was built with all used parts given to me by friends. An oem 400 block with a cast 283 crank. We spun it hard and it took it. We brought Scaaty home salty and running. The salt gods were with us. We meet new friends and spent time with old one. I LOVE it. It's all FUN
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »
Don   thanks for you and your wife saying hello  great that you all seemed to be enjoying it so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2016, 10:35:52 PM »
     After watching this build for so long it was nice to pit next to you and finally meet the crew in person.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2016, 11:33:43 PM »
So cool to hear you made it!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
So cool that it all came together Don. Was fun watching the updates on Facebook

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »
Scaaty Racing had an unbelievable speedweek. We made a lot of new friends. Touched base with old ones. It was great meeting all that I have made contact with over the net.
The car went through tech with minor hiccups. 30 minutes and we were signed off and in line. I made 6 runs earning my B license. Top speed was 181.73 on the long course. I then put Jeff Gentry in the car for bailout and 2 runs. He got his C license.
We loaded up a running salty car on Wednesday afternoon. Happy, tired, emotional and ready to go faster next year.
I could not have done this with the help and support of many. My crew were and are the best. My wife June Martin. Gregg Gregory, Rich and George (his wife) Darnell and Jeff Gentry. We laughed, cried picked at each other and learned a lot.
We are making plans for next year and looking forward to pushing Scaaty over 200. It's all fun

Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline tauruck

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
Way to go Don. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Perfect outing!!!!.

Glad you guys had a ball.