Author Topic: Scaaty Racing Studebaker  (Read 55899 times)

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
Scaaty Racing Studebaker
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
We are still at it. Cage is almost complete. Seat-mount-head restraint in place. Drive shaft tunnel complete. Pedals hung and steering ready. Firewall is close. Working on interior. Mounting water tank, oil tank and fire bottles. Inside is filling up fast. 8 months to speed week, crunch time.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Scaaty Racing Studebaker
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
We are still at it. Cage is almost complete. Seat-mount-head restraint in place. Drive shaft tunnel complete. Pedals hung and steering ready. Firewall is close. Working on interior. Mounting water tank, oil tank and fire bottles. Inside is filling up fast. 8 months to speed week, crunch time.

Nice looking car.  What class are you going to run?  Keep the pictures coming,

Sum

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
Thanks Sum
We are a comp coupe. SB2.2 c class on gas. We helped you and Hooley last year at speed week. Cliff and I have been working on the car since a trip to Hooleys 2 years ago. Getting closer but still a lot to do.  It's all fun
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
Thanks Sum
We are a comp coupe. SB2.2 c class on gas. We helped you and Hooley last year at speed week. Cliff and I have been working on the car since a trip to Hooleys 2 years ago. Getting closer but still a lot to do.  It's all fun

Great and sorry about not putting the name with the face and the car  :oops:.  Hope you guys get to run this year.  We need to get the Studes pitted next to each other.  That would be neat.  I'm also hoping to have the lakester there if at all possible, just to run, wouldn't be competitive,

Sum

Offline Hooley

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
I have been wondering what you and Cliff have been doing. It looks like you are still busy on old Scaaty.  You are almost there,keep pushing forward. Is Wilmington on the table?  Let me know I may try to be there.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »
Hey  Hooley
Yes sir we are still at it. Still a lot to finish but getting closer every week. The closer the car gets the more we want to run on the salt first. Would rather spend the money on speed week then Willington in Sept if all goes well. We have to go to OKC to pick up tires in Feb. Plan to stop by for a visit. We are having some wheel issues so going to MRW with spindles and brakes to try and get what we need. Hope to get all this done in 3-4 day trip.
 Is all going well with the 974 car? Last I heard you had the engine at home and the car was at Sums place. With the rain out in Oct is all a go for speed week?  It's all fun   Don

The picture is not the best just a shot of cage and trans tunnel.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:50:13 AM by Don Martin »
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Hooley

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
I went back to Sum's and we put the engine and tranny back in the car.  I am planning on going back this spring and doing some things to the car that I didn't like.
We are planning on Speed-Week.   Come on by, let me know when so I'll be home. Like I am going some where.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Don, looks really good. Please keep posting some pictures. I would love to see where you guys made your top chop lines. I've got more magic marker lines on mine than the law allows....

Hope to get to come visit in a couple of weeks if its ok.

Wade

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
Got a picture from the passenger side of cage and drive shaft tunnel. We started with a Morrison cage bent to our specs then added from there. We took pictures of cage to speed week last year to get Tech to give opinions. Had to add a couple bars as per Nathan. Not expecting any problems in tech after a 1700 mile tow. It's all fun
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
We are still making progress. Got the front wheel/brake/tire issues worked out. Needed more clearance. Using wilwood 11 inch rotor and calipers with 41/2 wide wheels and 4 inches of back spacing didn't leave any room. We modified just about every part. The rear interior is in and the door panel are ready. Working on the dash this week. Have to go to engine builders shop to pickup water tank and spill plates. The land speed tire are a problem. I have been told Goodyear will build the tires late June early July. That makes it a little to close but hey( It's all fun )     See ya on the salt  Don   
                  Scaaty racing  because we are Still crazy after all these years
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
Good to read you're still at it.

Go well. :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:07:36 PM »
....The land speed tire are a problem. I have been told Goodyear will build the tires late June early July. That makes it a little to close but hey( It's all fun )     See ya on the salt  Don   
                  Scaaty racing  because we are Still crazy after all these years

Good to see you are making progress.  Which tires are you looking for?

Sum

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
We have 28x4.5x15's on order. Looking like we can run 25's on the front but need to get it off the jig to take measurements. This will be our first year on the salt with the car. Hoping to run some good numbers. We have to license up and the goal is to run in the mid 200 mph range. A lot to hope for with a rookie team. Two trips to Speed week and 2 or 3 to Wilmington to ask questions look and learn have helped.   
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »
We have 28x4.5x15's on order. Looking like we can run 25's on the front but need to get it off the jig to take measurements. This will be our first year on the salt with the car. Hoping to run some good numbers. We have to license up and the goal is to run in the mid 200 mph range. A lot to hope for with a rookie team. Two trips to Speed week and 2 or 3 to Wilmington to ask questions look and learn have helped.   

I'll keep looking but I'd also post in the for sale/wanted here.  I found some that way last fall.  Tires aren't cheap but if you could find extras now they would come in handy down the road.  You like most of us will probably have tire problems and it is nice to have spares if you get up there and do.  There is more on the course than just salt at times  :cry:.  You are probably going to do this anyway but get junk tires for the shop and trailer and put the good ones on when you arrive.

Looking forward to seeing you guys run.  Maybe try and pit next to us (it is hard getting organized in the pits but it would be nice to see more Studes together),

Sum

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
To all you builders out there building cars with a partner. Don't forget to take time to thank them. Cliff is my partner on this build. He is a machinist ,fabricator ,metal  working genius. He comes over a couple days a week to work on the car. Then on Saturday we double team it. Without his help Scaaty would not be as far along has she is.  Thanks partner!!!         It's all fun   Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC